Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+3
TheNeil29
trevdee
rangerider
7 posters

Town v Bishop's Stortford

rangerider
    rangerider

Town v Bishop's Stortford Empty Town v Bishop's Stortford

Post by rangerider Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:43 pm

we where 2-0 up what happened? affraid play offs gone now attendance 189 should never have played tonight
    trevdee
    trevdee

Town v Bishop's Stortford Empty Re: Town v Bishop's Stortford

Post by trevdee Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 pm

White decided to give it to them on a plate.

2-0 up and cruising White plays a pass back from the half way line under no pressure and the ball held up nicely in the sticky mud for their forward to run on and round our keeper!

Then we decided to invite them on for a bit of pressure....At this point we should have made a tactical change, maybe Weaver was too absorbed in the game to remember he is in charge of making changes.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm a little bit disappointed with the result tonight. We were 2-0 up and cruising, thanks to two fantastic goals from White and Larkin (stunner from an angle as well).

The state of the pitch was a concern, but a decision had to be made on it, due to the distance Bishops Stortford had to travel. For me, it should have been called off. Parts of the pitch were a mudbath, and we couldnt get our passing game going.

I'm not going to be too harsh on White, as he did score at the other end, but a player of his experience should have realised what was going on around him at the time of that backpass.

For the second goal, no-one in the defence took command of the situation. We need to start being more commanding in our own box, because on too many occasions tonight, it was scrambled clear and we were too slow to come out of the 18 yard box, inviting BS to attack, and they punished us.

Simon Weaver and Macca were making all the right calls tonight, it was just one of those nights. But if we are going to make the playoffs, these are the games we should be winning, and winning comfortably.

We needed to win tonight, and now it's a 4 team race for the last playoff position:

Played Points
    1 Chester 33 88

2 Guiseley 31 72
    3 Brackley 32 63
    4 FC Halifax 27 56
    5 Harrogate Town 30 53

6 Altrincham 30 51
    7 Gainsborough 29 50
    8 Bradford PA 31 48

rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 pm

17 points dropped at home now it looks like its between us and Altrincham, Gainsborough, maybe Park avenue for 5th spot i think my money will be on Alty where their top scorer Reeves is still scoring and our top scorers goals have dried up, two away games now and a home game against Halifax then two away games things dont look so good now, Crying or Very sad we really should be beating these teams at the bottom at home i think we have been here before Crying or Very sad why are we always shooting ourselves in the foot, the money we lost tonight was it worth it?

Last edited by rangerider on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 pm

The moment the 1st went in for them was the moment to bring Chibs off and move the ball into the wings where there was a bit of grass............I'm not going to grumble too much as that pitch wasn't playable (it wouldn't even be considered for Sunday league in its current state) and I have played on that type of pitch all too often in the past..It is a nightmare even to get any height on the ball, let alone turn, pass and run...Still all to play for and thankfully we have away games now.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 am

We were 2-0 up. Our second goal was a "wonder goal" caused by a stunning piece of accuracy and a moment of madness from their keeper. The first goal was a workman like opportunity - the kind we should be putting away.

However,even at 2-0 up I was thinking we were likely to lose it! affraid Second to every header. Weak down our right hand side. Taking faaaaaaaaaaaaaar too many touches to do anything all over the field. The second match on the trot where the opposition have coped far better with the pitch than we have. We cannot use that as an excuse.

White's back-pass decision was poor - but there were far too many of those back-passes anyway from a lot of others. The execution even worse. But the same type of thing happened against Chester - ie the ball was passed and stuck in the mud which seems to bemuse our players.

As the report on the club site says at the moment, it was 2 points LOST. In fact I think we were lucky to get anything at all.

I assume that no substitutes were used in order to save people for upcoming games. However this - and the Colwyn game were "should win's". It's no good saying that we beat Halifax - it was a fortunate win caused by a poor performance from them and taking the opportunities by us. That was 3 "bonus" points. Teams like Colwyn and Stortford at home should be "bread and butter" points. Is it my imagination or do we seem to lose more often to the teams near the bottom of the division? I haven't checked so I don't know.

BAH! (cue Town Supporter coming on again to say that he won't post on here)
    BTTF
    BTTF

Post by BTTF Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 am

Ha! Very Happy
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:46 am

Fair points, however, last nights oppo had several players head & shoulders above most of ours. We had 3 at most to compete against 6 or 7 of their players so at set pieces we were at a distinct disadvantage as we were outnumbered in the air. Long balls pumped up the front against them were coming straight back mainly. The state of the pitch suited their style of play as most of them were bigger and stronger. Our lads battled really well and the ball sticking in the mud from the back pass as well as their subs turned the game. Maybe playing with three at the back including Bloomer, who is good in the air, and having Dwayne and Dave pushing up each flank would have helped combat their strenghts in the air????Our style of play will not benefit from the pitch being in the state it was in. Four out of the next five games away then four out of the next five at home. All to play for. COME ON TOWN. Laughing Laughing Laughing
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:21 pm

always thought our team was on the small side every team that comes always look bigger than ours especially defenders as one of our old supporters said to me at the Chester game "big lads arn't they",
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Didn't go, so can't really comment on the match, but felt sick when I heard (through all the static!) their equaliser go in. Spoilt the rest of my evening. Great that Larkin scored, sounded like a corker as well. We ARE in danger of throwing a golden opportunity to reach the play offs away, thank God Trinity only draw.
    Can't afford any slip ups on Saturday, really have to win it. Alty and Trinity must really fancy their chances now.

The signing of Woods (whats happened to him?), KNowles and Larkin show that the Weavers (father and son) are really out to make the play offs this season...lets not blow it lads!
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

we seemed to have lost Woods and Platt, thought Platt was here till the 21st and why is Woods not playing?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Both currently injured at the moment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:33 am