Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+8
Dan_Gleebitz
Big Lundy
htown
nobby99
gedmaloney
CCOB
paulstreet
trevdee
12 posters

Guiseley - This Sat

trevdee
    trevdee

Guiseley - This Sat Empty Guiseley - This Sat

Post by trevdee Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 am

I have just read Irving's comments on the website re the pitch.

Couldn't we just play the game on Saturday at Guiseley's ground? Or is there some kind of league restrictions stopping us playing the away team on their ground?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Guiseley - This Sat Empty Re: Guiseley - This Sat

Post by paulstreet Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:23 am

Just what I was thinking! Guiseley surely wouldn't object...basically another home game for them. It would make it tough for us, playing Guiseley at home away (if you get my drift), but at least we'd be playing football. Should produce a decent crowd as well: the usual Guiseley support (500 or so) and I would hope at least a couple of hundred Town fans as well.

Weather forecast is for a lot of rain this week, so not hopeful for the re-turfing...wonder if preliminary discussions are going on...but then, maybe as trevdee says there is a league regulation against it.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 am

and It is not as if we really have any home advantage given that the pitch has changed since the players last played on it........We would need to take our chip fryer to Guiseley though!
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:05 am

Don't think Chester would be too impressed if Guiseley were allowed to play an extra home game. Especially if Guiseley managed to pip them to the title.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:58 am

Just some straightforward maths might help to explain:

For the Guiseley game, given play off/ promotion ambitions of both clubs I would expect a gate of say 750 people at an average entry price of £8 per head generating £6000 - with sponsorship, bar takings, programme sales, raffle and tea bar generating a further say £800 that totals £6800. If we play the game at Guiseley we earn zip!

Hence everyone at the club is frustrated by the present situation but there is nothing we can do about the weather - last nights forecast was for rain to clear by 6pm - I refereed from 6.30pm to 9pm and it rained heavily for 60% of the time.

Hope this helps - frustrated of Wetherby. affraid

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 am

CCOB wrote:Don't think Chester would be too impressed if Guiseley were allowed to play an extra home game. Especially if Guiseley managed to pip them to the title.

Fair point.

You would think a neutral ground is as far as we would be allowed to go.

S.
    nobby99

Post by nobby99 Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 pm

There's no chance of this game going ahead on Saturday.

The covers haven't been on this week despite several downpours. In fact I haven't seem them on this year at all.. - what is the point of having them !! . Its almost as if we don't want it to go ahead - presumably to avoid more damage before the latest returfing. I hope we're not paying for the latest work, and its been covered by the incompetent contractors.
    htown

Post by htown Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:19 pm

My money would be on Town paying for it. The contractors will be covered by the law and argue that the weather was not foreseeable. I may very well be wrong but was it not Irving's company that did the work? I'm not sure because i don't really know what line of work Irving is even in i just recall reading it somewhere but not too sure.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Had to be a FA approved contractor because a grant from the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was used towards the cost of some of the work done!

Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:43 am

nobby99 wrote:There's no chance of this game going ahead on Saturday.

The covers haven't been on this week despite several downpours.
    I'm like you nobby, I don't expect the match to be on as the weather's been pretty horrible rain wise. The last statement from Irving is also a bit "iffy".

I'll be keeping an eye on the website and here tomorrow morning.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm here in York this morning (I get around!), mainly to suss out how to get from the station to 'Kit Kat' Crescent (as was) for Tuesday: a 'brisk' (i.e knackering!) 20 minute walk.

Weather is strange today, I was literally sat in the sun outside the Rail Museum (no jokes please) at 12.00 noon, and getting drenched about 10 minutes later, now its sunny again. Ive been allowing my hopes to build up for tomorrow, but can't really see it happening, another afternoon with Jeff Stelling and co.

I am baffled by these covers, surely they would help a bit to keep fresh rain off the pitch? Nothing on the club site as at 12.55 p.m. Pitch inspection this afternoon, in the morning?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Just been on the Guiseley site: Twitter feed saying pitch inspection 9.30 tomorrow apparently. Don't want to moan but its a bit annoying learning these things from another club!

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 pm

You're all far too negative. Life is wonderful - just ask translator!
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:32 pm

nobby99 wrote:There's no chance of this game going ahead on Saturday.

The covers haven't been on this week despite several downpours. In fact I haven't seem them on this year at all.. - what is the point of having them !! . Its almost as if we don't want it to go ahead - presumably to avoid more damage before the latest returfing. I hope we're not paying for the latest work, and its been covered by the incompetent contractors.

Nobby - the covers can only be used when the ground is reasonably dry, something which still has not happened. With respect to your comment about the game not going ahead - the team confidence level sky high and an attendance of possibly 800, let's rearrange it for March when we might be out of form and get 450 supporters!
    With respect to your comment about who pays for the work I couldn't agree more!
    nobby99

Post by nobby99 Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:28 pm

gedmaloney wrote:

Nobby - the covers can only be used when the ground is reasonably dry, something which still has not happened. With respect to your comment about the game not going ahead - the team confidence level sky high and an attendance of possibly 800, let's rearrange it for March when we might be out of form and get 450 supporters!
    With respect to your comment about who pays for the work I couldn't agree more!

Ged - We don't really need the covers when its dry though do we ? Last weeks snow was well forecast but still the covers remained off - so we've got all that melt, plus rain, plus our failing drainage and a knackered pitch. However, suggest when it rains, put the covers on - works for cricket..... That Charlie in the office would love a bit of exercise/fresh air, I'm sure Laughing

Not blaming anyone at the club, but think we've been severely let down by the clowns that did the work this summer. Work didn't start for weeks after the season finished which were the first alarm bells for me.

Notice we've not even bothered to do a preview on the website for tomorrows game. Presumably we've wisely not printed any programmes either.... Common sense should have prevailed earlier in the week and the match switched to Guiseley, virtually a home game anyway.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 pm

They have already tried that but the Conference wouldn’t let them switch the game!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    scratch
    The club are doing everything they can to get these games played!
    And it’s going to cost us “big time” when you work out the lost revenue from all this shenanigans @ the end of the season!!!!!!!!!
    Shocked

nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:39 am

well i have seats booked at york city today... thats how little confidence i have Laughing
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 am

I'm scared to check the Twitter feed
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 am

nothing so far Sad

though the NLP writer said this....

@SamElliott_NLP Customary pitch inspection @HarrogateTown 9.30 to see if big derby against @Guiseleyafc can go ahead. Manager not confident
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:08 am

Ackrill Sport Desk‏@AckrillSport

Pitch inspection at Harrogate Town put back til 11.30.

======================================

Call me optomistic but this has to be a good thing.... means its touch and go and the ref wants to give it time to see if the game can be played Smile
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:32 am

Nah I think the ref just slept in.....not sure what an extra 2 hours will do.........I measure the dampness on my decking, in the past my decking has been bone dry and it has been called off. Right now there are dry bits with some damp so I think it will be off.
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:35 am

Ridiculous.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:36 am

Well another match bites the dust. We will need 2 Harrogate (Town) teams to play remaining games if it gets any worse!!
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:40 am

I've resigned myself to the conclusion that I won't have another trip to the CNG this year.
    devrede

Post by devrede Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 am

If the pitch has only just been relaid, it now has 10 days for it to have a roller pulled across it and for it to settle.
    You lay turf at home and your told to keep off it for a time, so 22 blokes and officals running on turf thats only been down a day or so is going to do it the world of good and put us back even further.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:03 am