Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+3
hastingsbuoy
trevdee
Innocent Bystander
7 posters

Bouncing back!

Innocent Bystander

Bouncing back! Empty Bouncing back!

Post by Innocent Bystander Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:33 am

Let's avoid the negativity! Sure a cup defeat hurts - all kinds of emotions an through my mind driving through the roads of Sussex and Kent last night - but a new day provides a fresh challenge and opportunities for us all - perhaps on Saturday we'll see sme of the other squad players staking a significant claim to a starting place! Really looking forward to the Hinckley game once I have negotiated 210 miles up the M1! Roll on Saurday!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Bouncing back! Empty Re: Bouncing back!

Post by trevdee Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 am

I have had a few hours kip now, mind refreshed.

I think we have a lot to be proud about this season - yes missed opportunity but we have to be happy with what we have achieved.

I'm now looking forward to see if we can get a top 8 finish, but I think to do that Weaver will have to make some changes tactically. I'm quite happy with the squad and the additional guys out on loan and I think the majority could be the making of a promotion winning side.

My major problem is watching Weaver trying to cram a number of strikers in the team at once and just plonking them in any old position with the thought process of " it doesn't matter as long as they are in and as long as we set out to play 4-3-3". I would rather see him make the difficult decision of sticking lets say Chibs on the bench and playing players who are suited to that position. At least then we will retain some kind of shape or balance when we haven't got possession. Also, and this is a big also, he needs to be looking at changing the tactics to suit who we are playing. In the first game we learnt that we would never win a header against their number 5, so what do we do last night? We pump the ball straight to his head at every opportunity, so I guess what I am saying here is quite self explanatory and perhaps we need to be smarter when choosing the team dependent on opponents. Heres one - Chester have a decent attacking midfielder, I would play Bolland and his main duty would be to snuff out any danger coming from that guy, perhaps kick him once of twice and I would drop Dean, but for some reason Weaver doesn't think like that and it is just a case of "well on paper that is my best 11, form or no form".

I think by writing this I probably represent the majority of hardcore Harrogate fans, and the last thing I want to do is sound negative....I'm actually hoping Weaver has a sly look at this and then drafts me in as his mentor ha!
    hastingsbuoy

Post by hastingsbuoy Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:14 am

hey guys go easy on yourselves....can understand the disappointment but as a Hastings supporter at the game this could have gone either way and when it goes to penalties its by a whisker...guess you are doing the post mortem bit...what if this...what if that....but hey this was a great advert for non league football and having visited your ground in the first game you guys are a massive credit to non league football and have won over alot of new southern supporters down in Hastings....at the start of the season I bet neither team would have dreamed about being on the brink of the 3rd round of the FA cup....good luck for the future...have a great season and I for one will be looking out for your future results.
    Martin L

Post by Martin L Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:17 am

Like most of us true fans, I am disappointed BUT IMMENSELY PROUD ! We have conducted ourselves very well throughout our campaign and now the run is over its "back to the day job."

All credit to Hastings. Full Stop.

Lets get behind the lads on Saturday and show them our appreciation. It should be a bit of back slapping and smiles to everyone concerned.

Well done to all the fans at Hastings, you came across loud and clear on ESPN. You were so noisy they could hear you all the way in Canada, impressive.

One door shuts, so lets start opening a few more. Lets all keep talking up the Town around Harrogate and get this snowball rolling.

So proud to be a Town fan !

OOH TOWN !
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 am

Must have different speakers on your TV Martin, very little crowd noise came through mine! I guess it will be interesting to see how many of the free ticket holders bother turning up on Saturday. As Ive said losing is one thing, losing like we did is what sticks in my throat.
    oldtimer

Post by oldtimer Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm

I'd like to reiterate what my fellow U's supporter, hastingsbuoy said. Your fans who travelled to Hastings last night were a credit to Harrogate Town FC. I have only seen a very few 'sour grapes' remarks from Harrogate fans (pub team)for instance. A very silly jibe, because any team that can win through 6 rounds of the FAC, winning away at Staines and Bishop Stortford on the way and holding Harrogate Town to two 1-1 draws can't be too bad.
    Still, that apart, I can agree that Harrogate Town and it's fans have made many friends in the south (there must be a TV series there). Good luck to Harrogate Town for the rest of the season. Go and get promotion. I'll be checking your results.
    oldtimer

Post by oldtimer Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Incidentally, your manager said that the Harrogate players "wanted it too much". Nonsense. You can't want to win 'too much'. I think he underestimated just how much the Hastings team wanted it. What they lack in skill they more than make up for in grit, determination and courage. Our keeper was badly hurt in the match at Harrogate. I have heard, not sure if it is true, that his knee popped out and back in again. He still finished that match, but was clearly not fit last night. The defence is magnificent and defended him stoutly. If only we could put away the chances we create up front. Your manager got the tactics wrong. Sean Ray is a mountain in midfield. Trying to beat him in the air is futile.
    Never mind, once Weaver learns a bit of tactical nous you will climb the table.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Oldtimer, yep I wrote almost exactly the same on another thread.....anyway regardless of the result I had probably one of the best away days ever yesterday (most of us can live with the result), it was like a carnival so the memories will stay with me, and good luck against Boro!
    oldtimer

Post by oldtimer Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks, Trevdee. We'll need some luck, unless Mowbray does a Wenger and puts his 14 year olds out. Disrepect by TM could be our only chance. Wink
    harlowhill

Post by harlowhill Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:52 pm

old timer, If you play like you did last night i feel you could pull of at least replay at the boro, like you say Mowbray will play kids and the attendance will be poor so you won't be overawed, just have the same passion and you'll be fine
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:02 pm

We usually play against the Boro kids in pre-season and although technically better, i'm sure they will not expect you guys to compete with fitness...I'm sure the adrenaline and occasion will give your lads an extra 30% push and they could buckle under pressure so this has all the makings of one of the all time upsets.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:06 pm

As someone who tries to fit in a fair number of Boro games in when of course there is no clash with Town, I have to say I expect Hastings will do well to keep the score respectable.

Boro are well organised, powerful and very much a passing side. They will take this game seriously.

That said, it would be great to see Hastings take them back down south !

S.
    harlowhill

Post by harlowhill Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Slicker
    There no way that Mowbray will take this game seriously, Middlesborough are doing very well in the league this year and it is that premier league holy grail that motivates the fans and players. He will not risk first teamers for a game which he thinks that they have already got through to the 4th round. I would say there will be at least 10 changes to the normal team, the fans will realise this and want to save their money for the next round so that will affect the attendance and thus atmosphere, i think even if town had got through a draw is highly achievable for both teams, remember Man u v Burton as few years back.
    Long live the magic of the FA cup.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Also York 3 Man U 0 (beckham/scholes/nevilles making debuts or only a handfull of first team appearences)

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:57 pm

harlowhill wrote:Slicker
    There no way that Mowbray will take this game seriously, Middlesborough are doing very well in the league this year and it is that premier league holy grail that motivates the fans and players. He will not risk first teamers for a game which he thinks that they have already got through to the 4th round. I would say there will be at least 10 changes to the normal team, the fans will realise this and want to save their money for the next round so that will affect the attendance and thus atmosphere, i think even if town had got through a draw is highly achievable for both teams, remember Man u v Burton as few years back.
    Long live the magic of the FA cup.

Look at the squads he named for the league cup first, second and third round games let alone the big one against Sunderland. Then tell me he doesn't take these games seriously. There will be plenty of firepower to max Hastings.

A Boro academy side has played a pre-season friendly against Town a couple of times and passed us off the park comfortably.

S.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:13 pm