Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
nobby99
Dan_Gleebitz
TooManyPies
Martin L
8 posters

Reschedule Next Tuesday ???

Martin L

Reschedule Next Tuesday ??? Empty Reschedule Next Tuesday ???

Post by Martin L Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:51 pm

I appreciate its no ones fault but the state of the pitch on Saturday became awful. Every effort is been made to improve the surface and the relayed goalmouths did stand up ok. The problem are the flanks and centre. With the forecast for the next week to be rain, rain and even more rain, I propose we ask permission for next Tuesday to be rescheduled.

The buzz in the pubs in town (well The Muckles for sure) is all about HTFC and so we MUST get that game on !

Could the pitch be covered in some plastic sheeting, going the length of the pitch on an angle so the water drains away ? Do Harrogate Cricket Club have any covers we could borrow ???

Lets all get our thinking caps on or the alternative is 400 of us go down every night next week and stand under the floodlights with big brollies !!!!

OOH TOWN !
    TooManyPies

Reschedule Next Tuesday ??? Empty Re: Reschedule Next Tuesday ???

Post by TooManyPies Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I mentioned it half jokingly on another topic but I'm really starting to think that if we could get hold of a super sopper for a bit we'd be fine, those things shift incredible amounts of water. Probably an expensive option though with insurance factored in. There are also smaller push ones that are used for baseball apparently, perhaps the American base has one?
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 pm

I don't think that we'd be allowed to reschedule the match on Tuesday just to save the pitch. If we could show that the pitch was unfit on Tuesday that would be a different matter I believe.

But as I think it's "obvious" that the drainage system can't maintain the pitch in a good playable condition then the suggestins made by the previous two posters seem worth a look at least. Perhaps at a pinch we could borrow a fire engine to pump water off of covers put over the pitch?
    nobby99

Post by nobby99 Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Passed the ground today in the heavy rain, from what I could see there didn't appear to be any covering on the pitch at all.

It is possible to get complete ground covering. Seem to remember Railway having to hire it to make sure their FA Cup tie with Mansfield went ahead, worked alongside with the Fire Brigade's water pumps and Railways slope. Probably expensive though and I think they only did it for the 24 hours before - the BBC/FA may have contributed as it was a live tv match.

Have to agree, next Tuesdays match should be rearranged asap.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:34 pm

agree, lets put the pitch to bed, cover it and plea with the league to play the Stortford game at Railway (yes I know it doesn't meet standards, but not as if they will bring many fans, 1 or 2 at the most)
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Have to agree with these comments, the rain this morning has been torrential, just about stopped now. Surely if Bishops agreed then the league would not object? As long as we fulfill our fixtures by end of April that is the main thing. I'd rather see the Bishops game put off until April.

I'm sure the club must have contingency plans in place, but it would a 'disaster' (in PR terms) if the cup game was called off.
    hastingsbuoy

Post by hastingsbuoy Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Im aware that there are many Hastings fans viewing this thread and at the Hastings ground last night this was a topic for discussion! If its called off a Tuesday game would be the pits for us! if its called off twice doesnt it then go to the other team which would not be good for you guys!! If its called off could it be arranged for the following Saturday? we are all praying for a dry spell as would be a shame not to play on date arranged.....maybe we could meet half way to play say Bishops Stortford????
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Nice try, hastingsbuoy! Would York City be half way? (my geography is terrible Smile)
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Good update from Irving, now lets cross fingers, legs and toes for 5 days of dry weather before the 1st. Think it is safe to say the game against Bishop Stortford wont be going ahead.
    nobby99

Post by nobby99 Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:55 pm

It's good to see action being taken although I fear it might be too late after the deluge today. The problem is going to be getting 5 days of dry weather before this covering can even go on. Most pitches would have struggled with the amount of rain lately, however I think we've had the cowboys in as far as these pitch 'contractors' are concerned.

Railway are away from home on the 1st. Hope informal contingency measures/contacts have been made with them.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Keep calm at all costs - old fashioned cup tie in the making without giant killing, I hope. The contingency plan will work
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 am

Glad you're confident Ged.

What bothers me is that Irvine says we need 5 dry days before we can put on the covers. There's more chance of platting fog at the moment.

Not sure what to do about that. Possibly hire some hot air blowers to blow under a laid cover to dry out the pitch? I'm no groundsman, so I don't know what effect that would have on the grass growing.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:38 am

The 5 day forecast doesn't look too bad, sunshine and 'white cloud', but it means the earliest the cover can go on is Tuesday (or Wednesday), everything crossed that no rain in that time. Never thought I'd be grateful for an away cup draw, but thank God we are not at home tomorrow!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Don't want to be too much of a gloom merchant, but looking at the general weather forecast I am getting increasingly concerned about the viability of playing the cup game at the CNG next week. Hope I am wrong.

Can we assume (hope!) that contingency plans are in place: is York's ground available (they are no longer in the cup)? Railway would be a poor substitute, very poor sightlines etc (with a big crowd). If a decision IS made to switch we(and Hastings and ITV) will need some notice. Having 5 clear days of dry weather seems a long shot I have to say.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Just checked: York City are away on December 1st. Could I suggest that, sooner rather than later, we 'bite the bullet' and request a ground switch: better than that 9 days of anxiety. What do people think?
    TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:05 pm

From the Met office, doesn't look good
    UK Outlook for Tuesday 27 Nov 2012 to Thursday 6 Dec 2012:

Unsettled conditions look set to continue at first, with showers and occasional longer spells of rain affecting many parts and turning heavy in places. Eastern areas are most likely to see the most persistent rain. Often windy, with the risk of gales on eastern coasts. Temperatures slightly below normal bringing a risk of hill snow and overnight frost. Conditions gradually becoming drier and more settled later next week, although southeastern areas most prone to further prolonged spells of rain. Temperatures continuing on the cold side of normal, with a risk of widespread overnight frosts. By the start of December, colder than average conditions are favoured, with an increased risk of frost and fog, and some wintry showers.

The forecast beforehand essentially predicts about 4-6 hours worth of rain every 2-3 days. I think the key point as to whether this game can go ahead is if the cover can be put on the pitch temporarily during periods of rain so that it at least cant get any worse. Is this possible or would this damage the cover? If possible this would be a labour intensive method for a cover that takes a couple of hours to shift but I would personally be willing to lend a hand to any effort to get the game on where I can. I'm sure most people here would do the same thing. Many hands can make make light work!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:22 pm

I am willing to give a helping hand also where needed, even if you need someone to fork the pitch for a few hours!
    Martin L

Post by Martin L Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:30 pm

The BBC Weather forecast for Harrogate each day (right up to Dec 1st) is pretty good. It only shows light showers next wednesday, every other day is dry. Lets get them covers put down on Tuesday, postpone the bishop game and I am confident it is a green light !

We cant have a bishop game in front of upto 500 comprimise a crowd in excess of 2,000, TV highlights and all the matchday hospitality revenue be spoilt.

Are we talking to the league about a "special circumstances" agreement ? Lets call out to the Football Family to see sense.
    nobby99

Post by nobby99 Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:28 pm

paulstreet wrote:Just checked: York City are away on December 1st. Could I suggest that, sooner rather than later, we 'bite the bullet' and request a ground switch: better than that 9 days of anxiety. What do people think?

York isn't Harrogate and suspect the ground would be half empty. Better to play at Railway, where it would be packed (they'd probably charge us less too...)

Shame we couldn't have got some covers on today as I see heavy rain is imminent again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:27 pm