Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

4 posters

Five defeats...and counting?

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Five defeats...and counting? Empty Five defeats...and counting?

Post by paulstreet Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:27 am

Well this equals the record for successive defeats under the current management. We lost 5 in a row in SW's first season, mind you then the opponents were Fleetwood, Stalybridge (twice), Workington (who finished 4th that year) and AFC Telford! So some excuse I guess. Hardly the case today. According to Gloucester's website, our budget is four times (four!) theirs yet they beat us. We can't really blame injuries: only Adam and Mark Cook are out who woould be guaranteed starters. Real problem is when Paul Brayson isn't scoring we have no-one to step into the breach: Meechan looked like the answer but did not start on Saturday.

We now have home games against teams in the bottom three: anything less than 4 points would, in my view, mark the end of the manager in a 'normal' club, but not here, of course.

Failure to get at least three points will mean we are definitely going to be involved in a relegation struggle this season. And to think I was daft enough to forecast a 9th place finish Shocked In your dreams Street Smile
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Five defeats...and counting? Empty Re: Five defeats...and counting?

Post by JackHTFC Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:38 pm

If I remember someone in the hierachy said 'play-off' finish is possible. NOT IF WE CARRY ON HOW WE ARE. And how will we improve? Drop Turl start Meechan!
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:55 pm

As well as conceding to many set pieces (5 in the first 4 minutes @ Gloucester!) Shocked and conceding goals easily from them eg.Frickley & Hyde @ home! Sad Our shot on target ratio per game is woefully low! Embarassed
    We have no pace in wide midfield positions and this has forced our forwards wide to much!
    You need to keep them in front of goal if you want them to score regularly! Wink
    We never hit a first time cross into the box? Mad
    The inability of the forwards to hold the ball up has been evident for most of the season! Crying or Very sad
    5 home games without a goal has demoralised the home support!
    At least if you get an odd goal it gives the crowd something to shout about, even if you still get beat! But to see the oppositions keeper rarely tested is depressing!
    Seen every one of our last 5 defeats! pale
    We were unlucky not to get a point @ Worcester & could have sneaked a point against Nuneaton 2nd half but apart from that we have deserved to lose!
    We were 1 up @ Workington against the run of play, gifted them an equaliser at the start of the second half then failed to have a shot on target for the rest of the game!
    It could quite easily have been 3-1 to Gloucester at half time on Saturday but we got away with it! But they only needed to get 1 to win!!!!!
    Because we couldn’t score! Evil or Very Mad
    It’s a hard league this! Individual mistakes are being punished & some of the players aren’t up to it I’m afraid!
    We need to sort certain positions out, get a settled team together playing regularly to boost fitness & understanding levels!
    As well as effort & commitment you also need an end product!

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:45 am

Absolutely agree with all of this. We certainly need to try for a settled line up: Wilson and Ross seem to be in and out of the team, they should be starting regularly and hope that they can show their undoubted qualities more regularly. Tait disappeared off to Blyth and never really given a chance. Its frustrating to see Simon Baldry tearing it up for Guiseley: he trained with us pre-season why the heck didn't we sign him? Bore has been a massive disappointment (given his league pedigree), I'd prefer to play Elam from the start. The goal scoring is becoming a real crisis: if our owner does have money (and I assume he has!), I think we should be looking to try for a quality striker and pay the big wage if necessary: easier said than done I know. Haven't given up on Meechan but he needs to show the skills he did against Trinity. I do think Turl is struggling at this level, sadly. I'm sure that Ross, wilson and Turnbull have been goal scoring midfielders at their previous clubs, but we have seen liitle sign of it so far. I thought we would have one of the best midfields in the league at the start of the season.
    Big Lundy is right: I think the fans are desperate to have something to cheer and get behind the team (I certainly am), but the lack of goals is crushing the fans enthusiasm.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:51 pm

paulstreet wrote:Absolutely agree with all of this. We certainly need to try for a settled line up: Wilson and Ross seem to be in and out of the team, they should be starting regularly and hope that they can show their undoubted qualities more regularly. Tait disappeared off to Blyth and never really given a chance. Its frustrating to see Simon Baldry tearing it up for Guiseley: he trained with us pre-season why the heck didn't we sign him? Bore has been a massive disappointment (given his league pedigree), I'd prefer to play Elam from the start. The goal scoring is becoming a real crisis: if our owner does have money (and I assume he has!), I think we should be looking to try for a quality striker and pay the big wage if necessary: easier said than done I know. Haven't given up on Meechan but he needs to show the skills he did against Trinity. I do think Turl is struggling at this level, sadly. I'm sure that Ross, wilson and Turnbull have been goal scoring midfielders at their previous clubs, but we have seen liitle sign of it so far. I thought we would have one of the best midfields in the league at the start of the season.
    Big Lundy is right: I think the fans are desperate to have something to cheer and get behind the team (I certainly am), but the lack of goals is crushing the fans enthusiasm.

Tait was a disruptive influence in the dressing room and I don't imagine he'll be coming back.
    Greenarmy

Post by Greenarmy Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:22 pm

town supporter wrote:Tait was a disruptive influence in the dressing room and I don't imagine he'll be coming back.

Bullshit

Post by Guest Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Greenarmy wrote:
    town supporter wrote:Tait was a disruptive influence in the dressing room and I don't imagine he'll be coming back.

Bullshit

Aside from talking to Tait himself, who I’m sure has his own views on the matter, the source is as close as you can get to being 100% accurate. Choose to believe what you want, but it’s extremely unlikely he’ll be back at Town, and from what I’ve heard, that’s for the best. I’ll leave it there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:31 am