Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+2
paulstreet
sulphurite
6 posters

Laurie Wilson Signs from Alfreton...

sulphurite
    sulphurite

Laurie Wilson Signs from Alfreton... Empty Laurie Wilson Signs from Alfreton...

Post by sulphurite Wed May 18, 2011 9:46 am

Taken from the Official Web Site:

Laurie Wilson has become Simon Weaver's second signing this week when the 26 year old midfielder agreed terms yesterday.

Laurie, who is the son of former Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Bristol City manager Danny Wilson, has signed from Alfreton Town and becomes the second player to do so following the capture of Ian Ross on Monday.

Beginning his career as a trainee at Sheffield Wednesday, Laurie then joined Burton Albion where he had loan spells at Grantham and Belper Town. His next move took him to Kidderminster Harriers and then onto Hucknall Town, where he won both the manager and supporter Player of the Season awards. A first spell at Alfreton Town followed before moving back to Hucknall for another two seasons. Ilkeston Town and Staveley Miners Welfare would be his next two clubs and it was from the latter that Laurie re-joined Alfreton in September 2010 until this current move.

Welcome to the CNG Stadium!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Laurie Wilson Signs from Alfreton... Empty Re: Laurie Wilson Signs from Alfreton...

Post by paulstreet Wed May 18, 2011 11:56 am

Won't be short of midfielders then!. Sounds like we may be signing players who Alfreton felt would not make their BS Premier squad. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course. I'll be happier when I hear: 1) Armstrong has re-signed 2) Chib has signed for us 3) our pursuit of Paul Brayson is successful! 2 out of 3 would be OK!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Laurie Wilson Signs from Alfreton... Empty Re: Laurie Wilson Signs from Alfreton...

Post by paulstreet Wed May 18, 2011 12:03 pm

Wilson appeared in 23 league games for Alfreton so was clearly more than a fringe player for them. Does anyone know if Alfreton are going full time? This might explain why these guys are leaving, did not want to go full time. We got Armstrong that way I believe and he was a brilliant signing, so the omens are good.
    j2021

Post by j2021 Wed May 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Looking forward to next season, sounds like were going to have a really competitive team Smile

Few quotes from Alfreton forum on Wilson,

Two of our most creative players and possible the two best passers we had, hope we've got two better players in the pipework to replace them!
    Cheers for all your efforts over the last few seasons Rossy and Laurie, good luck for the future.

Might be worth a few quid on Harrogate each way next season Cool

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed May 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Certainly looks as though Town mean business next season. Another quality striker (and holding onto to Armstrong) is essntial of course. Need at least two regular goalscorers to mount a serious threat.
    Hakim

Post by Hakim Wed May 18, 2011 2:27 pm

paulstreet wrote:Won't be short of midfielders then!. Sounds like we may be signing players who Alfreton felt would not make their BS Premier squad. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course. I'll be happier when I hear: 1) Armstrong has re-signed 2) Chib has signed for us 3) our pursuit of Paul Brayson is successful! 2 out of 3 would be OK!

I'd be careful what you wish for with regard to Brassy.

In his last 15 games for Blyth, he has scored in just one of them (admitedly it was a hat-trick at Vauxhall Motors) but he has given the impression that his legs have gone, or at least of going rapidly - he is 34 soon and has started to look it this season - Also when the chips are down or he's not scoring he might as well be stood next to you in the crowd.

Whilst he has been a regular source of goals in his time at Croft Park (up until the last few months), he will run for absolutley nothing and simply won't contest a challenge, whether aerially or on the ground.

Me and lads who I stand with at the games were hugely impressed with Armstrong and Chilaka's work rate in the game at your place, you'll just not get this with Brayson (and you need to bear in mind that about 8 of Brayson's goals this season have been penalties, again Armstrong seems to have the upper hand there as I don't think he's missed a penalty for Harrogate?)

The two Alfreton lads look top signings though

(P.S. Before anyone comes on and says that this is sour grapes as I am a Blyth fan, the other two lads you have been linked with in our local press, Turnbull and Hooks, are very good players)
    j2021

Post by j2021 Wed May 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Cheers for that hakim Smile

I agree with what you've said exactly, id rather have Chilaka and Armstrong anyday over over Brayson, as you say hes getting older now, i guess his goals are going to start drying up soon, id prefer strikers that run around all day long closing balls down and working but still scoring than a player whos more of a goals and thats all you get sort of striker Wink

Just my opinion though Cool

If we dont get Chilaka id defo take Brayson or maybe we'll bring him in anyway Very Happy

JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Wed May 18, 2011 4:54 pm

seems Weaver is doing some good deals. Especially from Alfreton. All he needs to do is keep his eye out and find the best team possible. It would be nice if some more players re-signed aswell. But maybe there busy or away.
    TheTown
    TheTown

Post by TheTown Fri May 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Rory Coleman has been released by Scunthorpe...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Was brilliant during his time, had his own goal of the season competition, but imagine there would be some lower league clubs looking to sign him up.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Fri May 20, 2011 11:23 pm

TheTown wrote:Rory Coleman has been released by Scunthorpe...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Was brilliant during his time, had his own goal of the season competition, but imagine there would be some lower league clubs looking to sign him up.

Would be a really good signing, but doubt very much we could afford him anyway. I do think he enjoyed himself at Town though, so who knows?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat May 21, 2011 10:39 am

Always surprised that Coleman didn't make it into the first team squad at Scunthorpe. Lets hope we are at least exploring the possibilities of signing him. Worrying item in the Advertiser yesterday: Armstrong was made an offer and turned it down, looks like he wants out. Finding a regular goalscorer (or two!) is going to be crucial next season.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Sat May 21, 2011 11:15 am

paulstreet wrote:Always surprised that Coleman didn't make it into the first team squad at Scunthorpe. Lets hope we are at least exploring the possibilities of signing him. Worrying item in the Advertiser yesterday: Armstrong was made an offer and turned it down, looks like he wants out. Finding a regular goalscorer (or two!) is going to be crucial next season.

He could be holding out for a better deal from Town?

I have, sort of resigned myself to him going, sadly.

Must agree, another Striker or Two has to be a priority now, I feel we have just about all other areas (1st team) covered, but we will also need a few up and coming lads for the bench.

Anyway, looking forward to the friendlies and the season ahead, I do hope we have a better start than last year.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat May 21, 2011 11:23 am

You away game fans will have new territory to explore next season: north Wales and the wilds of Cambridgeshire: Histon have been placed in our league: I think I'll limit myself to Halifax, Guiseley and maybe Stalybridge!
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Sun May 22, 2011 10:44 am

All this talk sounds promising. What are your expectations for next season?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Well, early days yet, but it seems as though the signings of Ross and Wilson suggest the club has ambitions to be a contender next season. It will be interesting to see who ends up as our strike force: will the club be prepared to pay Armstrong what he wants? Can Chib be persuaded to sign? Is Brayson worth the gamble? Are we exploring the possibility of tempting some of Guiseley's players away? Lots of questions, the next few weeks will give us some of the answers.
    Next season will be Simon Weaver's third in charge and he will need to demonstrate continued progress.

At this stage, a top ten finish should be the minimum aim with players like Ross and Wilson on board, a couple of decent strikers and who knows? But then, every team wants them!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:59 pm