Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
Big Red Machine
sulphurite
Johnny
YoungStato123
8 posters

Match Thread: Ilkeston Town v Harrogate Town

YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

Match Thread: Ilkeston Town v Harrogate Town Empty Match Thread: Ilkeston Town v Harrogate Town

Post by YoungStato123 Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:51 pm

There was a pitch inspection this morning at 8.30 and the game is ON! Come on Town! Hopefully Lee Ellington makes his debut today and shines!
    Johnny
    Johnny

Match Thread: Ilkeston Town v Harrogate Town Empty Re: Match Thread: Ilkeston Town v Harrogate Town

Post by Johnny Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:33 pm

We need these points!!! Let's hope Mr Weaver and the lads are up for it. Cool
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Match Thread: Ilkeston Town v Harrogate Town Empty Re: Match Thread: Ilkeston Town v Harrogate Town

Post by sulphurite Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:28 pm

2 nil up, Stamer and Ellington, come on!!!!!
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Oh my poor heart, a penalty saved and one off the post!
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Really need to hold on to this one!!!!
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:45 pm

3-1 now.
    Ellington 79.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:47 pm

3-2 now. 3 mins left
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:03 pm

3-3 93 minutes
    Johnny
    Johnny

Post by Johnny Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Damn. What it seems like to me - similarly to the Workington game, we started off strong and ended poorly. Just when 3 points looked in the bag! Well, this is an improvement. Let's hope we can romp Southport this time next week.
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Someone pass me the defib NOW!!!!!!!
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:31 pm

I should have known - fancied the new line up so backed the boys at 6/1 and the rest, as they say, is history. I hate history Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Getting close to a win, but probably too little too late.

Unibond is beckoning, and with Guiseley and Bradford PA looking good for promotion, local derbys are going to be non existent too.

NOT HAPPY Sad
    Johnny
    Johnny

Post by Johnny Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:25 pm

There were some harsh words from Simon Weaver following the 3-3 draw at Ilkeston Town on Saturday.

Harrogate Town's manager told BBC Radio York:

"I'm fuming to be honest. We did really well tactically, played very well in the first half. Second half we camped back a little bit deep, invited pressure on to us. Balls into the box, we didn't deal with them. The 'keeper today... didn't carry out instructions and come for crosses.

"The back lads were a soft touch. I'll be looking to keep players for next year, but they have to be of the right calibre and we need strength at the back and authority. I haven't played for five months, but that wouldn't have happened today with me in the team. I'm not a great player, haven't got great ability, but I would have got hold of people and made sure we didn't drop back in the six yard box.

"For the last goal they've got a free kick on the half way line and we drop back into the six yard box. My voice doesn't carry well from 50 yards away and I'm screaming at them, why isn't someone on the pitch doing that? The back four have all played the game, but no one is man enough or got enough character to carry out the instructions. They'll have to learn the hard way unfortunately...

"Three goals and you expect to come away with three points. A lot of people might say a point away from home is a good result, but no. I think we've got a better squad of players than Ilkeston now. Looking at their team compared to ours, I think we've got more ability but it's about character. I could play a team of massive lads and play percentage football, but I want to create something special here and get out of this trouble. But, you've got to win wars and we weren't man enough to do that.

"From my perspective, it's two points lost. If people don't have that bite about them, they're not going to be with me long term. I need a response now. I don't want to change around the players at the back. People have got to prove that they want to stay with me... they're too nice some of them.

"I will accept criticism, take it on board and learn from it... I hope today is a one-off, but the back four have to get a grip quickly."

However, the boss did have praise for debutant Lee Elllington:

"Lee is a different class and straight away scored two poachers goals and that bodes well for us becasue we've got him for next season. Dave Syers put in a great shift despite being under the weather. Roy Stamer got injured and had to come off. There's quality players there, but the best form of defence is attacking... we get credit again from opposition players and the manager but it's about points now.

"People either respond next week or they get another rocket."

"I haven't played for five months, but that wouldn't have happened today with me in the team." -- what an ego! flower
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Johnny wrote:
    There were some harsh words from Simon Weaver following the 3-3 draw at Ilkeston Town on Saturday.

Harrogate Town's manager told BBC Radio York:

"I'm fuming to be honest. We did really well tactically, played very well in the first half. Second half we camped back a little bit deep, invited pressure on to us. Balls into the box, we didn't deal with them. The 'keeper today... didn't carry out instructions and come for crosses.

"The back lads were a soft touch. I'll be looking to keep players for next year, but they have to be of the right calibre and we need strength at the back and authority. I haven't played for five months, but that wouldn't have happened today with me in the team. I'm not a great player, haven't got great ability, but I would have got hold of people and made sure we didn't drop back in the six yard box.

"For the last goal they've got a free kick on the half way line and we drop back into the six yard box. My voice doesn't carry well from 50 yards away and I'm screaming at them, why isn't someone on the pitch doing that? The back four have all played the game, but no one is man enough or got enough character to carry out the instructions. They'll have to learn the hard way unfortunately...

"Three goals and you expect to come away with three points. A lot of people might say a point away from home is a good result, but no. I think we've got a better squad of players than Ilkeston now. Looking at their team compared to ours, I think we've got more ability but it's about character. I could play a team of massive lads and play percentage football, but I want to create something special here and get out of this trouble. But, you've got to win wars and we weren't man enough to do that.

"From my perspective, it's two points lost. If people don't have that bite about them, they're not going to be with me long term. I need a response now. I don't want to change around the players at the back. People have got to prove that they want to stay with me... they're too nice some of them.

"I will accept criticism, take it on board and learn from it... I hope today is a one-off, but the back four have to get a grip quickly."

However, the boss did have praise for debutant Lee Elllington:

"Lee is a different class and straight away scored two poachers goals and that bodes well for us becasue we've got him for next season. Dave Syers put in a great shift despite being under the weather. Roy Stamer got injured and had to come off. There's quality players there, but the best form of defence is attacking... we get credit again from opposition players and the manager but it's about points now.

"People either respond next week or they get another rocket."

"I haven't played for five months, but that wouldn't have happened today with me in the team." -- what an ego! flower

Didn't Simon concede a number of goals through errors when he played regular?

Also, just what is the team captains job, if not to organise and encourage the players? seem to remember Sturdy doing quite a good job in the past, or maybe i'm mistaken?
    TheTown
    TheTown

Post by TheTown Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 am

Surprise surprise, we get a bad result and Weaver's first thought is the blame the players. In his post match comments again it sounds like he's considering some peoples future and getting new layers in. For f**k sake!!

It may well have been there fault but I'm sick of the attitude that any mistake get rid of them and get another player in. Why do you think they lack confidence, everytime they make a mistake you come on the radio and have a go at them. Poor man-management.

And also mentioned that he would decide on players futures if you read between the lines, please say he hasn't been given promises he'll stay on next year, especially if we're relegated.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 am

That looks alarmingly like it. IF he stays (God help us), then he needs to try and keep the bulk of this squad together: its actually not a bad team now, but if players like Syers, Stamer, Bloomer etc all disappear in the summer we will back to square one. Just think if only Simon Weaver had played every game this season we'd be in the top six Very Happy Very Happy The man's ego is in reverse proportion to his managerial abilities Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:20 pm