Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
boselecta
wootontommy
Bostonfan
paulstreet
Surplus
Chips97
trevdee
11 posters

Boston-bring it on!

TheNeil29

Boston-bring it on! - Page 2 Empty Re: Boston-bring it on!

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Can't really disagree with this to be honest. Clayton works extremely hard, but as a striker, you ultimately have to be judged on goals. Defence and Midfield solid today (Platt was immense). Its just the striking situation that is a concern. The only 2 striking options I would keep are Daniels and Thewlis. Hearn, Knowles and Clayton for me just don't cut it from a scoring perspective anymore.

If we are going to be realistic about getting through the playoffs, these chances we are creating need converting.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Well said. Almost forgotten about Knowles, yet another failed big name striker (anyone keeping count?). You never know, one day we might actually sign a striker who, like you know,actually scores goals. But don't hold your breath. Without Daniels we are mid table, let no-one doubt it.Yes, could someone please tell us about Hearn...will we see him again?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Yes Neil I like Thewlis, he has pace and promise, but,bloody hell, he needs to start converting his chances!
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:03 pm

I think what is plainly happening is we have no plan B when A is not working.We played long balls all game when it was all too easy for the Boston centre backs to soak up.Really missed Jack today, with his pace and trickery.And can we get Thewliss working on his composure in front of goal.We look solid as a team yet when ever Brendon has an off day, like today we never look like scoring..

Just hope we have no more injuries..and Hearn make some kind of an appearance .
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:27 pm

Thewlis still has a lot of time on his side to develop. It is just his composure that lets him down, but I'd 110% keep him on.

It will be interesting to see what happens with ins and outs at the end of the season to see how many of these boys we can retain because there will have been a lot of scouts looking at our boys this season.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:36 pm

It is strange watching our strikers these days, it is almost like they are that scared to miss they do end up missing....Well I guess until the end of the season we have to work with the strikers we have. There was a good 4 or 5 chances today that on another day we would have netted but really poor misses...Thewlis and his one on one, Clayts had that volley that spooned off his foot, Daniels had the last minute shot and there was others too.

Defence were immense, I hope Turners hamstring was just a small tweak and midfield were solid. Platt obviously had a great game, he broke everything up in the middle and looks like his match fitness is returning. I would like to see him drive forward with the ball and improve his distribution but small steps i guess. I do think with Burrell in the side we play some football on the deck so we are still quite limited with Platt in the middle in terms of how we play.

All in all 2 points lost in my eyes, a tight performance but very nervy. We will stumble over the line but it would have been nice to be pushing for that 2nd spot and how well we do in the playoffs will depend on who is fit i guess.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:04 am

Comments pretty spot on for me, someone chuck some names in the hat of strikers they'd like to see at town next season?
    wootontommy

Post by wootontommy Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:52 am

On the subject of Hearn - I don't think we should be pinning our hopes on him to return and score lots of goals, (or indeed any). From what I saw of him on the couple of occasions he has played, he missed just as many chances as anyone else. I think that whoever is playing up front, they always do much better when we don't play the long ball so much. The play becomes too predictable, so the opposition's defence can place themselves accordiingly and our attackers spend far too much time having to battle and fight to receive the ball that they literally lose sight of the goal, rather than being able to run forwards and have more time to get in the right position to shoot, or be able to make the right pass.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:34 am

Good noise made by the supporters from Boston yesterday!
    Apart from Grimsby, FC United, Curzon, & one or two others the majority of the away support @ the CNG has been pretty low Key!!!!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 am

Thought the Kop of Fear was surprisingly quiet for most of the game. Was pretty packed in there as well. Spent the last 10 minutes there, had a grandstand view of their keeper's double save. Really thought Brendon would score! The agony!!
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Realistically whatever happens in the playoffs, the team will change with transfers in and out. Depending on which league, will depend on which players presumably and I'm counting Captain fantastic as staying along with foster and crooks. Jack will hopefully stay for the next campaign and quite possibly Clayts, platt and hopefully Burrell and Colbeck.Also like to see Mason stay but that is unlikely. As stated elsewhere, would love to see Daniels stay but I'm not overly hopeful so where do we get 20+ goals from next season and who else transfers in?
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:53 pm

More fans in but same few doing the singing!!!
    This was noticed @ the Grimsby Town cup game & has been a regular occurrence throughout the season!
    Although good @ times we are miles off the potential decibel level from this stand!
    But ye can’t make fans sing if they don’t want to!
    Especially Harrogate fans!
    We used to play crowd cheers over the P.A. when we scored years ago!!!!!
    NO KIDDING!
    Embarassed
    So @ least things aren’t that bad now!!
    Laughing
    A goal every now & again tends to help but we do tend to go quiet when we are struggling a bit on the pitch, especially @ home!
    Per fan we make miles more noise away from home!
    I suppose if you travel for hours to get to a game there is more camaraderie between the fans!
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:56 pm

trevdee wrote:It is strange watching our strikers these days, it is almost like they are that scared to miss they do end up missing....Well I guess until the end of the season we have to work with the strikers we have. There was a good 4 or 5 chances today that on another day we would have netted but really poor misses...Thewlis and his one on one, Clayts had that volley that spooned off his foot, Daniels had the last minute shot and there was others too.

Defence were immense, I hope Turners hamstring was just a small tweak and midfield were solid. Platt obviously had a great game, he broke everything up in the middle and looks like his match fitness is returning. I would like to see him drive forward with the ball and improve his distribution but small steps i guess. I do think with Burrell in the side we play some football on the deck so we are still quite limited with Platt in the middle in terms of how we play.

All in all 2 points lost in my eyes, a tight performance but very nervy. We will stumble over the line but it would have been nice to be pushing for that 2nd spot and how well we do in the playoffs will depend on who is fit i guess.

Have to give credit to there keeper - Clayts took his eye off the ball,disappointing, Brendan hit it well and the keeper made a great save and in defence of Jordan, I walked on the pitch today and it's fair to say that once you get within 6 feet of the penalty area at the hospital end, you are running through quicksand - not easy.
    On the fitness side of things, watched one or two of our youngsters in great form today (Rob Worrall and Mr Cadman) - future looks promising.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Anything said about the turnstile situation Ged. This is not the first time we have had problems getting folks in. With a possible play off and, if we go up, a lot of bigger crowds to come, something has to change. What would happen if say, Boston supporters complained to the league that we only had one turnstile in operation when, technically we should have six?
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:55 am

It is looking like the Boston v Nuneaton game next Saturday will decide fifth place. On reflection over our last two games I would prefer it to be Boston as I think Nuneaton are the better team and are a lot better away from home than at home. We were not great on Saturday but still had enough good chances to have won comfortably.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:11 am

Surplus wrote:Realistically whatever happens in the playoffs, the team will change with transfers in and out. Depending on which league, will depend on which players presumably and I'm counting Captain fantastic as staying along with foster and crooks. Jack will hopefully stay for the next campaign and quite possibly Clayts, platt and hopefully Burrell and Colbeck.Also like to see Mason stay but that is unlikely. As stated elsewhere, would love to see Daniels stay but I'm not overly hopeful so where do we get 20+ goals from next season and who else transfers in?

If we go up, Ellis wont stay. That i'm led to believe is the same reason why he left Guiseley as he did not want to commit to the additional travelling required by a football team in the National League.

Personal thought is that no major squad surgery is required and I'd like to see us keep pretty much a lot of the team, apart from 4 or 5 players; but regardless of what division we are in next season, the striking issue needs to be the main area for addressing. We've relied very heavily on Daniels this season and he needs someone to share the burden.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:51 am