Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
Tommyb123
Townfan
Ball and Socket
Surplus
8 posters

Zone 14 and the Art of Defence & Attack

Ball and Socket

Zone 14 and the Art of Defence & Attack Empty Zone 14 and the Art of Defence & Attack

Post by Ball and Socket Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:40 am

I got to know about Zone 14 when I read about it in the Times Sports Section before the Solihull match recently at Wetherby Rd. As Harrogate Town FC took apart the league leaders and favourites to win our league I thought Simon, John and Vill had read the same article!!

IN May 2002 Sports Scientists identified a "Golden Square" on a football pitch which helps teams score MORE goals. The key area, named Zone 14 by researchers at Liverpool John Moores University, lies not in the goal mouth or even the penalty area but just outside it. The term for this space is usually called The Hole.

The zone is only effective when exploited by a skilful player who can quickly change the direction of attack with a short pass or twisting run lasting no more than eight seconds. This brings to mind Daniels, Colbeck, Emmett, Kerry, Thirwell for starters. All players with this ability. And Swain.

We recently witnessed the truth behind this theory. If you were at the Hednesford, Solihull and FC Utd matches you would have seen us score 12 goals. We also conceded 6 goals. The two conceded against Hednesford could have seen us drop two points and the four at FC Utd did see us throw away a three goal lead and control of the game. Most of the 18 goals in the three matches were made directly through Zone 14. Enough said.

I believe that if our players are MORE AWARE of Zone 14 and the danger of conceding this space to the opposition then the team will stop the flow of goals against us. This means tightening up the centre of our midfield and defence when we lose possession in these areas. Even better please don't lose possession in this area!!

This was clearly evident by a game of two halfs at FC Utd. We were outstanding for most of the first half. We played through Zone 14 and the three we scored were directly through the ball being passed through the channels into Zone 14 just outside the penalty area for our players to run onto and score or to benefit from their keeper pushing out a save into our players following up.

What we did to FC Utd in the first half is what they repaid us with interest in the second!! You could see their manager had told them at half time to play as high a back line as possible so squeezing the space for our midfield. And how they benefitted. The time and space that our midfield had enjoyed in the first half disappeared immediately as their midfield were all over ours. In the first 10/15 minutes of the second half we lost possession or gave the ball away in our own half time after time and a short telling pass through our defensive middle of the pitch into the area of optimum opportunity for them ZONE 14.

They had worked out by denying us space and time high up the pitch would punish us. No more the long high balls that Ellis and Brown mopped up with ease in the first half. They squeezed up, played to feet and put us under far more pressure. They learned their lesson and used the lack of pace we have at the back to their benefit by forcing us into mistakes and mistackles.

Swain's schoolboy error will be one he will learn from no doubt. It put us under even more pressure and disadvantage. He will go out tonight and play the match of his life!! However, the ref did him no favours and the incident involving Swain was the result of a very late tackle on him. The ref should have stopped the game and cautioned their player. Colbeck's caution for diving was questionable as he didn't even appeal for a penalty. When Emmett dribbled into the penalty area late he was blocked unfairly. This challenge by two of their defenders was obstruction at the least. Finally, did any of you see the way Emmett was pulled back as he was running onto a pass down the right wing? The Lino did because he put his flag up to inform the ref. The ref thought he was flagging for offside. The flag was pointing down the line not across the pitch for offside. The ref blew and awarded them the free kick. The lino should have kept his flag up and insisted the ref came over to him. I noticed our bench were not impressed and they were further away from the incident than the ref. He lost the plot a bit and the 3000+ crowd threw him.

Google Zone 14 and read about it to your hearts content. We can discuss it tonight. Come on Simon. Tighten them up and no more going to sleep. Fire them up from the first second.

GENUIS IS ONE PERCENT, PERSPIRATION IS 99 PERCENT

COME ON TOWN
    Surplus

Zone 14 and the Art of Defence & Attack Empty Re: Zone 14 and the Art of Defence & Attack

Post by Surplus Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Interesting read. Certainly noticed in the first half against Stockport that we kept losing possession and not getting the second ball. Appreciate pitch is like a swamp at the moment but not sure head tennis gets us anywhere as opposed to playing the ball out wide and looking for overlaps.
    Ball and Socket

Zone 14 and the Art of Defence & Attack Empty Re: Zone 14 and the Art of Defence & Attack

Post by Ball and Socket Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks surplus. Stockport certainly came to attack us on Tuesday night. We had a touch of post FC Utd blues most of the first half. Brendan's deflected shot was on its way into the net when their keeper stuck a leg out and made a terrific save. Moments like that can lift a team and shortly afterwards they scored. Not one of Crooks finer moments. I was glad to hear the whistle for half time. We played far too deep with the back four all guilty of kicking/hoofing the ball anywhere forward which was painful to watch and even more painful for the ball players in our side who were suffering from stiff necks watching the ball fly through the air comfortably dealt with by the Stockport defence. Playing so deep meant Brendan and Joe had to come back into our half far too often to get the ball. The second half turned the sour to sweet. Well done lads on a pitch that was cutting up badly.

Zone 14 can work for the attacking side when they have skilful players that can run at defences and hurt them around the edge of the box. Bringing on Thewlis & Emmett at the start of the second half turned the game in our favour. We got the ball forward quickly to feet when we had possession and Jordan, Jack and Brendon ran their defence ragged. We started to create chances galore and perhaps should have scored more than the two we eventually did. I was relieved for Nat Brown when the flag went up for offside as he somehow managed to clear the crossbar from underneath it!! Nat played well second half and kept things simple winning everything in the air. It was not easy for him with Danny Ellis going off. Can Tom Platt play centre half? Our injuries and Swains suspension could not come at a worse moment as we go into some crucial games.

Clayton deserves a mention for his tenacity and lack of protection from the officials. He seems to thrive on the contact. Great reading of Brendan's corner and showed how to finish. My only concern about Paul was that he was caught offside regularly breaking up any flow to our game and allowing Stockport to slow the game down and play at their pace. I'm sure the coaches will have a quiet word. Warren Burrell seems to be able to read the game as it develops around Zone 14. That's three goals in the last two home games that Warren has slotted away from in and around Zone 14. Fantastic.

So looking forward to Lowestoft. COME ON TOWN
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 am

All in the boys are doing great. Fans always want more and can be overly critical but I'd take the position we are in if we can get some consistency and build a solid platform to go on a good winning run. Still about heart in mouth at times, but nothing if not exciting! Big big win against Stockport! Crooks also made a magnificent stop with his toenails in last minutes to bag us 2 pts and with Ellis off it could give Brown the chance to boss the back line?
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:06 am

Crook also made a great save early on diving full length to get a hand to a shot from distance. Being a goalkeeper means he is the most important player in the team and any mistakes are magnified unfortunately. The team have performed brilliantly throughout the season. However, if we are to maintain our place in the top 5 we need to stop leaking goals!! Especially at home.
    Fylde (h) : 3, North Ferriby (h) : 3, Grimsby (h Cup) : 4, Chorley (h) : 4, Boston (a) : 3, FC Utd (a) : 4. There are four other games where we conceded 2 goals in each game. The stats don't lie. Conceding 29 goals in 10 games is a big worry. We did score 13 goals in these games four of which we were leading.

There has to be a balance between defence and attack. Its about being a tight unit and focusing on getting repossession of the ball when we lose it as quickly as possible. Attacking wise we are one of the best teams with the second best away record. Zone 14 the area around the edge of the 18yd box is our weak link. If we start to defend this area better and stop the supply of the ball into this area we could win every game with our potent attacking set up.

Lowestoft have a very young line up at the moment. Read the report on their last home game. They are fighting relegation after some tough losses. FC Utd beat them 6-1 the week before we were put to the sword in a 15 minute spell. Keep patient on Saturday and play the ball into the areas that will hurt them.

COME ON TOWN

GENIUS IS ONE PER CENT - PERSPIRATION NINETY NINE PER CENT
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:04 pm

I'll settle for a nice tidy display, clean sheet, Crooks gloves not needing a wash and Daniels and Clayton getting a brace a piece. Plus it would be nice if the sun shone for a change but willing to forgo the last one if I get the first 3.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:07 pm

Forgot to mention, think Simon and the back room team need acknowledgement as well. Getting players in on loan, actively changing things on the pitch and bold substitutions as well as an attacking style.
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Disappointing that the game was called off today. Several other games off too. I think Lowestoft were there for the taking.. However, time heals all wounds and our injured players will benefit from a few days rest.

Yes indeed Surplus. Simon, John & Vill have built a squad that can beat any team in our league. I have mentioned how the team has performed brilliantly and are a good attacking side, also how subs can change games eg Emmett & Thewlis against Stockport. This meant we started on the FRONT FOOT in the second half and not the debacle against FC Utd three days before. Lesson learned!!

The next few games will see if we can get through games and not leak goals and put pressure back on our shoulders. Every single player has to put in a shift for the 90 minutes. They have to stand up and all be leaders and support each other especially when the opposition have possession.

Nice, tidy displays don't really reflect Harrogate Town FC. We have had 8 clean sheets in the league. So we can shut up shop and be tight if needed.

We didn't just keep LOSING possession against Stockport we GAVE the ball away as I said by losing our cool and being guilty of kicking/hoofing the ball anywhere in the first half when a controlling touch and pass would have kept us in possession. We have skilful, talented lads that can pass and dribble lets get the ball down and pass it more. Its really quite simple. Attack as a unit and defend as a unit. Ellis is the glue at the back but we need a bit more of a voice in midfield. Colbeck and Clayton have plenty to say. Thirwell and Kerry need to boss the midfield and be heard more directing operations with a bigger verbal influence. They are afterall in the engine room!!

I just want the players to play to their potential nothing more nothing less. And this squad has loads of potential and is young. I would love to see them perform in the Conference. They would frighten teams half to death. I believe we will win more matches than lose if we can utilise Zone 14. Conceding so many goals when we defend this area is a worry. This is a fact not being overly critical. Do you not think that other teams look at the oppositions weak areas? We have other teams coaches watch us regularly. They know their stuff.

Stalybridge here we come.

COME ON TOWN.

GENUIS IS ONE PER CENT : PERSPIRATION NINETY NINE PER CENT

Surplus

Post by Surplus Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:56 pm

Don't think the game will be on for Tuesday either. Hopefully get some players back to at least provide cover and options with Mason also an option on the left side. Got to get Swains suspension out of the way as well. With other coaches watching us, I'm sure we're watching them as well. Hopefully we can get 3 pts of Fc Utd by analysing the two halves!
    Tommyb123

Post by Tommyb123 Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:27 pm

we've got the best scout in the league - he's played a massive part in our league position. You'll see him at the odd home game but behind the scenes he's travelling the country compiling reports on our opposition. Ferriby is a massive 6 pointer. Win this I think we're serious contenders for the title.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:09 am

Solihull Moors will take some stopping now that they have played all the top six twice now.
    Tommyb123

Post by Tommyb123 Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:11 pm

They will wobble. Sides have worked out they play a narrow rigid 3 just like we worked out through our scouts most likely. Hence we played 4-3-3 and pressed the life out of the 3. Other teams now will follow suit.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Like to think the league will throw up some out of the ordinary results for everyone but us, especially when playing teams in the relegation mire!
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:46 pm

The teams with the most players in their side unable to play in the Conference National next season will wobble the most!
    Performance levels drop & the number of injuries increase!!!
    Seen this happen with us on a couple of occasions since we joined Conference North!
    Bill Fotherby didn’t strengthen the squad when we were competing with Kettering for the title!
    We ended up only winning 2 of our last 10 league games & finished surprise surprise 6th!!!!!!
    It was obvious to all the fans watching @ the time the club didn’t want to get promoted!
    Tommyb123

Post by Tommyb123 Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:05 pm

Well they do this year. Exciting run in to come. Hold tight. We're going for the title.
    slicker
    slicker

Post by slicker Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:13 pm

Really interesting thread.

I just hope the rest of the league don't read it !

S.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Yes we have been under the radar all season. When you read other forums we are rarely mentioned. Let us hope that this continues.
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Great examples on Match of The Day in the Chelsea v Liverpool & the Man City v Leicester matches where Zone 14 came into play and the attacking team played the ball along the ground through the channels for attacking players to score. Not so good for the defending side to watch!! Leicester's defensive set up was brilliant and it enabled them to break quickly and hurt City.

It doesn't really matter if away teams read about Zone 14 and how we attack and defend this area. They will be aware of it too. What really matters is on the day how our players use the ball when we are in possession and how we defend when the opposition have it. We have some really quick, skilful players who take advantage of big, slow defenders because of their pace and ability to change direction, twist and turn in a small space i.e. Zone 14.

Congratulations to Andy & Kim Murray. A baby girl born on Sunday. Brilliant and great news for Dunblane:D Very Happy Very Happy
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 pm

I think our attack can fire on all cylinders, it's the getting back, covering the defenders and tracking opposition players when they are moving from defence to attack that gets me edgy. I'd still like us to keep the ball better and it's telling how many times Crooks throws or rolls the ball out to start an attack from deep. Hopefully when the pitch improves we can get back to more ball on the floor, quick passing and creating space for others to get either behind defenders or into shooting positions.
    slicker
    slicker

Post by slicker Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Ball and Socket wrote:Great examples on Match of The Day in the Chelsea v Liverpool & the Man City v Leicester matches where Zone 14 came into play and the attacking team played the ball along the ground through the channels for attacking players to score. Not so good for the defending side to watch!! Leicester's defensive set up was brilliant and it enabled them to break quickly and hurt City.

It doesn't really matter if away teams read about Zone 14 and how we attack and defend this area. They will be aware of it too. What really matters is on the day how our players use the ball when we are in possession and how we defend when the opposition have it. We have some really quick, skilful players who take advantage of big, slow defenders because of their pace and ability to change direction, twist and turn in a small space i.e. Zone 14.

Congratulations to Andy & Kim Murray. A baby girl born on Sunday. Brilliant and great news for Dunblane:D Very Happy Very Happy    

Presumably from your focus on zone 14 you are an advocate of Simon's narrowing of the pitch ?

Personally I think a narrow pitch makes it easier to defend the "hole", and as this has been known about as a coaching theory for at least 14 years, I guess it's down to the right blend of skill, pace and aggression within a selfless team ethic, ie Leicester City.

S.
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:45 pm

The narrowing of the pitch might reflect the fact that 'modern' attacking coaching ideas DO NOT advocate wingers getting to the byeline and crossing the ball as much today. The Times Sports Section article about Zone 14 (The hole) that I started this thread with had stats on the number of crosses in the Premier League from the last 10 seasons. These stats show that the number of crosses has dropped substantially year on year with 'wide' men cutting back inside, keeping possession and continuing to build an attack through The hole (Zone 14). So instead of crossing the ball from the Zone near the corner flag hoping to find one of the attacking front men more opportunities arise by keeping possession and setting up a shooting opportunity or winning a free kick.

If you think of the number of chances we have created this season (20+ in some games home and away) perhaps with better finishing/luck our points total would be greater.

The Sports Scientists at John Moores Uni in Liverpool in 2002 identified 18 zones on a football pitch. They cut the pitch into three long slices up and down and then cut those individual slices into six zones (3 x 6 = 18). The KEY AREA is Zone 14 or The Hole. Can't argue with your last sentence Slicker. Can Leicester sustain their position. What odds were they pre-season to win the premier league?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:00 pm

Which came first zone 14 or the dire slide into one loan man up front which has swept the Premier League?
    You would have to say that Leicester's position is less down to tactics and even zone 14 (what a great thread by the way) but more down to their hunger, determination and 1 to 11 team application. Something which when allied to the Italian counter on fast forward and add lashings of over paid, opposing wankers whose talent is suffocated by six figure weekly salaries then we have the beauty of Leicester going for the title. Like we have seen happen in the Cups but now in the league, most of the premier leagues top players no longer have the commitment or Fergie-esque induced motivation/fear to put in a shift week in week out.

The ultimate question is what was more exciting for our English tastes - 2 wingers with chalk on their boots and a big/little man duo in the centre does it for me!
    slicker
    slicker

Post by slicker Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Ball and Socket wrote:The narrowing of the pitch might reflect the fact that 'modern' attacking coaching ideas DO NOT advocate wingers getting to the byeline and crossing the ball as much today. The Times Sports Section article about Zone 14 (The hole) that I started this thread with had stats on the number of crosses in the Premier League from the last 10 seasons. These stats show that the number of crosses has dropped substantially year on year with 'wide' men cutting back inside, keeping possession and continuing to build an attack through The hole (Zone 14). So instead of crossing the ball from the Zone near the corner flag hoping to find one of the attacking front men more opportunities arise by keeping possession and setting up a shooting opportunity or winning a free kick.

If you think of the number of chances we have created this season (20+ in some games home and away) perhaps with better finishing/luck our points total would be greater.  

The Sports Scientists at John Moores Uni in Liverpool in 2002 identified 18 zones on a football pitch. They cut the pitch into three long slices up and down and then cut those individual slices into six zones (3 x 6 = 18). The KEY AREA is Zone 14 or The Hole. Can't argue with your last sentence Slicker. Can Leicester sustain their position. What odds were they pre-season to win the premier league?

Guess that's why we turn up every week, you never know what will happen on any given day.

S.
    slicker
    slicker

Post by slicker Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Carefree wrote:Which came first zone 14 or the dire slide into one loan man up front which has swept the Premier League?
    You would have to say that Leicester's position is less down to tactics and even zone 14 (what a great thread by the way) but more down to their hunger, determination and 1 to 11 team application. Something which when allied to the Italian counter on fast forward and add lashings of over paid, opposing wankers whose talent is suffocated by six figure weekly salaries then we have the beauty of Leicester going for the title. Like we have seen happen in the Cups but now in the league, most of the premier leagues top players no longer have the commitment or Fergie-esque induced motivation/fear to put in a shift week in week out.  

The ultimate question is what was more exciting for our English tastes - 2 wingers with chalk on their boots and a big/little man duo in the centre does it for me!

Great to see a side who couldn't really give a stuff about possession stats, but just get the ball in areas where it hurts the opposition

S.
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:26 pm

Who needs Zone 14 when you can score from the half way line. Check out new loan signing from Rotherham Mason Warren's effort on October 13th v Chesterfield in a Youth match. Don't believe, just watch:D:D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:40 am