Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+6
Innocent Bystander
nztownfan
pie and chips
Chips97
Town Lishke
trevdee
10 posters

New South Stand building contract agreed

Innocent Bystander

New South Stand building contract agreed Empty New South Stand building contract agreed

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:52 am

SBU and #HarrogateTown sign up to build the new south stand at Wetherby Road
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great news!
    trevdee
    trevdee

New South Stand building contract agreed Empty Re: New South Stand building contract agreed

Post by trevdee Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:45 am

assume the South Stand is the Wetherby Road side?
    Townfan
    Townfan

New South Stand building contract agreed Empty Re: New South Stand building contract agreed

Post by Townfan Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:56 am

It is.
    This might be part of the "Masterplan". Still waiting Lishke.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Great news - If it is anything like the kop of fear (does it have a name yet), it will look great.

Still think they should do something with the yellow blocks on either side. Perhaps the Harrogate Town badge of something similar rather than boring yellow.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:19 pm

I think they need to do something with the shrubbery on the outside as well, when the new stand is built as well (If the shrubbery actually belongs to them!!)

A lot of people drive past the ground on a daily basis, as we are based on one of the busiest roads in Harrogate, but I bet people drive straight past, not even noticing the club!!
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:56 pm

The land outside the ground is part of The Stray. The hedge might be removed but the trees and grass cannot as far as I am aware.
    Town Lishke
    Town Lishke

Post by Town Lishke Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Townfan wrote:It is.
    This might be part of the "Masterplan".  Still waiting Lishke.
    Well don't wait too long old timer. If you get lucky you may live long enough to see the Weaver masterplan unfold. Or unravel, whichever comes first.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Town Lishke wrote:
    Townfan wrote:It is.
    This might be part of the "Masterplan".  Still waiting Lishke.
    Well don't wait too long old timer. If you get lucky you may live long enough to see the Weaver masterplan unfold. Or unravel, whichever comes first.
    Still waiting ....... what is it ?
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:49 pm

As someone who used to sweep the leaves off the pitch down the south side of the ground back in 1976 - forty years on it will be fantastic to have a new stand running along the Wetherby Road side, it will look a proper ground now!
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:47 pm

This is great news! I can't wait to see our ground looking so good! It's bound to attract new fans when the ground is looking fantastic Very Happy
    pie and chips

Post by pie and chips Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Good to have a Chairman and Board that can deliver on promises!
    However - as usual, it won't suit some alleged Town supporters!
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:06 am

Can we get it started early in the summer this time!
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:21 pm

First week in May I believe.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:45 pm

It will be completed in time for pre season I believe.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:07 am

Assuming the beer festival doesn't attract 50,000
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 am

I think that will be really, really popular.

I'm looking forward to it already!!!
    nobby99

Post by nobby99 Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:11 am

TheNeil29 wrote:I think they need to do something with the shrubbery on the outside as well, when the new stand is built as well (If the shrubbery actually belongs to them!!)

I love the shrubbery, one of the best things about the club ! Fairly sure they won't be allowed to chop the trees down, they are an important ball stopper if nothing else.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:13 pm

My point is, that if you werent from Harrogate, and drove up or down Wetherby Road, you wouldnt even realise that there is a football club on the road, apart from the odd sign saying match on, and a picture of the 1919 venue plastered on the gates.

I would even go as far to bet that even some people from Harrogate now wouldnt know that there is a football club on Wetherby Road. Something needs to be done to make the club more noticeable, even from a passing point of view. Something that catches the eye.

1 of the ways this would be done is to get rid of the shrubbery on the outer of the ground and then do something about the fencing, which is currently the back of the tin heap that serves as a stand.

What also irks me the most, is that the club is sat on one of the busiest roads in Harrogate. Add to this that Harrogate has a population of 90000+ and we only manage to attract on average 5-600 to a match?

We got 3000+ to the Hastings game, and 1500+ to the Hinckley game if my memory serves me right, so it just goes to show that the people are there.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:31 pm

I believe the club wanted to put up an illuminated sign when they revamped the office block but we got the usual local objections and the council said no.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:13 pm

It will be interesting to see what moves the club make in that manner when the new stand is up.....
    Town Lishke
    Town Lishke

Post by Town Lishke Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm

pie and chips wrote:Good to have a Chairman and Board that can deliver on promises!
    However - as usual, it won't suit some alleged Town supporters!
    Yeah really difficult to apply for a grant and get someone to take the money. Seriously is a slightly nicer stand than the one we already have really something to be excited about? It'll make bog all difference.
    pie and chips

Post by pie and chips Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Hey, Lishke, it might not make any difference to you, but I suspect most fans will be very happy at the investment.
    As with other threads, there will always be those who take pleasure in "knocking" - not worth worrying about!
    Town Lishke
    Town Lishke

Post by Town Lishke Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:42 pm

pie and chips wrote:Hey, Lishke, it might not make any difference to you, but I suspect most fans will be very happy at the investment.
    Yes, I too am very grateful to the FSIF. We'll have one of the best looking up to date grounds in the NPL eventually. Shame we can't put the new stands in our trophy cabinet though.

"Promises and deliveries" indeed. Really. pig
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:08 am

No-one can seriously deny that the Kop of Fear has not made a great difference, both to the look of the ground (that matters to some of us!), and to the atmosphere generated. Impossible to tell if that has contributed to our recent good run of form (and, yes, I know about Saturday!), but it sure as hell hasn't done any harm. I look forward with great interest to our new terrace, cantilevered roof and all. Supporting a team is more than just what happens on the pitch once or twice a week, its the 'whole thing'...ask FC United fans about that. Incidentally, looks like they may, may, at last, ge into our league. Imagine 800 'red rebels' in the Kop of Fear next season...exciting prospect or not?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:33 pm