Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+2
TheNeil29
Innocent Bystander
6 posters

Grimsby Town 2 Harrogate Town 0

Innocent Bystander

Grimsby Town 2 Harrogate Town 0 Empty Grimsby Town 2 Harrogate Town 0

Post by Innocent Bystander Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:38 am

A much tougher test last night and - despite those two goals conceded in the first half - I thought Town came through this pretty well. IMO it is far better to play the likes of Grimsby Town and FC Halifax than under 14 teams from the championship!

Simon Lenighan showed up well in midfield as did Luke Dean in the second half - I really hope that Luke gets a chance this year - they both work well with Lloyd Kerry

TheNeil29

Grimsby Town 2 Harrogate Town 0 Empty Re: Grimsby Town 2 Harrogate Town 0

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:31 am

Yeah, I was really impressed with our link up play in the first half. Lenighan played extremely well. Always said that we should have kept Luke Dean. He needs to be signed up to strengthen our options in Midfield.

I am not too bothered with the result, as it is all about performance and fitness, which seemed to be at a very good level for this early into Pre-Season. Once the team starts to bond and gel together, we will be a very strong outfit, and a force to be dealt with in the division.

Another tough test lies in wait this Saturday when our fierce rivals Halifax AFC visit. Hopefully, we will get a big crowd for this one, and it will be a good game.

Onwards and Upwards.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 am

We were certainly the better team in the first half hour, could (probably should) have scored at least once in that period. And how did Kendall miss that second half chance? So lots of encouraging signs.

Is it just me or is the introduction of multiple subs in these games counter-productive as well as being extremely irritating for supporters? If I'd paid £10 last night (luckily I get in free as a Season Ticket holder), I'd have felt I was only getting about 60 minutes of 'real' football. Can managers/coaches really learn anything in the shambles these games become in the last 20 minutes or so? For example, why on earth give Peter Crook 13 minutes last night? Did Simon learn anything in those 13 minutes he didn't know before? Give the lad 30 minutes at least. Oh well, got that off my chest!

We have learnt (I hope) that Luke Dean needs signing up ASAP.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 pm

I kind of get the mass changes to rest the first 11 break them in slowly. But like you can't see what any of the trialists can do to impress. Luke Dean 100% for me should be a Town player
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Grimsby Manager is quoted in today's Grimsby Telegraph .....

"That’s a good side we were playing against. They might be from the league below, but I’m sure if they competed in our league they would stay up, no problem"

Great to read this! Might be a false impression but my instinct is that there are more players wearing a Town shirt who are hungry for results - Kendall and Walshaw and Kerry in particular have an edge and look sharp in the final third

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:30 pm

great first 30 mins but we seem to tire after that, they seemed to be a lot fitter than us but maybe we put to much in the first half and the tank was empty after that, saying that i didn't think they where better than us football wise but if Simon has his first team in is head he needs to play them as much as he can in these games to get their fitness up to scratch we need to hit the ground running when the season starts

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:25 pm

I noticed the Grimsby defender, wearing no.2 I think, having a right fallout with his GK in the first half, when we was really pressuring them, as for the multiple subs, it can be so annoying, especially when we was getting clear chances, but its so cool to see Luke Dean back playing well, and Crook deserves a full match in goal.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:42 pm

There are plenty of pre-season games in the programme for all of the squad to get good match practice. Agree with giving Peter Crook a start and I would love to see Luke Dean start too.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Anyone who uses white text on a black background needs to be certified
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:37 pm

I have missed the first two pre season games due to being on holiday, can anyone give a run through of the players looking good or not so good so far? also maybe some first impression of the new lads? Many thanks Very Happy
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:02 am

The WWK combo has looked impressive so far, Walshaw much more than just a goal scorer, really puts a shift in. Kerry looks very assured in midfield, takes a good corner. Turner and Meynell both look to be quality full backs. McGurk has been quietly impressive. Barnes has not had a great deal to do, but has made a couple of good saves, looked uncertain in the air once or twice, has a big kick on him. Peter Crook impressive in the minutes he has had. Luke Dean looks like he is playing his way into a contract (fingers crossed!). Lenighan has been very impressive, he does look to be a quality player. Tough for Dom Rowe now the pitch is so narrow. Adam is Adam, no change there. I think that covers most of them.

I hope Simon plays a strong team tomorrow and gives them 70 minutes at least.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:51 am