Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
Big Lundy
CCOB
thetallaccountant
Innocent Bystander
8 posters

Narrowing of the pitch

Innocent Bystander

Narrowing of the pitch Empty Narrowing of the pitch

Post by Innocent Bystander Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:22 pm

a big talking point from fans at the CNG today
    the pitch is 64m wide now - the minimum allowed
    6m narrower than last year
    I am told it is an experiment in pre-season
    what do we think?
    Looks like we are playing with three strikers and an attacking CM just behind them
    we look a lot more direct
    but the narrower pitch takes a bit of getting used to!

Narrowing of the pitch Empty Re: Narrowing of the pitch

Post by Guest Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:08 pm

A glowing endorsement of our wing play then. Jesus, its like going back to the days of john beck. Next thing we'll be letting the grass grow long
    thetallaccountant
    thetallaccountant

Post by thetallaccountant Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:47 am

Personally I think it shows initiative and is worth experimenting with, the idea presumably being to suit our likely 4-3-3 formation better than an opponent who is used to playing 4-4-2. I don't think it necessarily means the long ball game - none of the front three who played yesterday are particularly tall. In theory it may allow Walshaw & Worsfold to play off-centre whilst still being near enough the goal to be a scoring threat.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:03 am

I like the idea shows great thought has gone in to the players he has signed and the style of play Simon wants the lads to play. Bring it on nice and direct sod the pass pass and pass rubbish goals win you games not the number of passes. Long ball or 40 yard pass whats the difference?
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:34 am

Weaver/Macca have cottoned on that a direct style of play brings success in this league. Telford fans were very critical of their style of play at the start of last season, but weren't complaining at the end. Alty also played a very direct style of play but whereas Telford favoured the long ball tactics Alty moved the ball very quickly from back to front along the ground very much to Walshaws liking. Guiseley also have had a lot of success with the direct pacy style of play Alty used.
    Weaver says in his post match interview its just an experiment in pre-season. Would he be allowed to alter the pitch dimensions during the season depending on the opposition. Bet the guy who marks the pitch is not too impressed!

Post by Guest Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:43 am

CCOB wrote:Weaver/Macca have cottoned on that a direct style of play brings success in this league. Telford fans were very critical of their style of play at the start of last season, but weren't complaining at the end. Alty also played a very direct style of play but whereas Telford favoured the long ball tactics Alty moved the ball very quickly from back to front along the ground very much to Walshaws liking. Guiseley also have had a lot of success with the direct pacy style of play Alty used.
    Weaver says in his post match interview its just an experiment in pre-season. Would he be allowed to alter the pitch dimensions during the season depending on the opposition. Bet the guy who marks the pitch is not too impressed!

Your wrong on one key thing you can't alter the pitch size during the season purely a pre season thing only. Not sure about cup games but 100% for league games
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:53 am

You have to give your pitch dimensions to the F.A. & Conference before the start of the season!
    Not sure what the deadline date for this is!
    Once they are in they can’t be changed during the season!
    I think all clubs then have access to this information.

TownUltra
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:58 pm

I must admit, i liked this shape and formation. I know it was against a team that's different to the teams we will play and nothing was on it. However it's clear to me:

1. Walshaw is absolutely brilliant and will score a lot of goals, what I didn't know is just how good a player he is, links up excellently, 100% commitment. Could be the difference this year.
    2. All the new signings impressed. Back four looks rock solid. Kerry, Lenighan, Nowa all bags of energy and running. Quality.
    3. At home wasn't a problem last season, it was away from home, could we be exposed with a lack of width? Hopefully the dynamism and cutting edge makes up for this.
    4. Kendall looked like lacking match practice, but the WWK line up is mouth watering.
    5. Speight apparently has an ankle knock, but apparently going to be a big part of the team as well when he's back.

All in all, I was impressed. But cautious, early days, gel looks good though instantly.

Narrow pitch makes sense for 4-3-3.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:32 pm

Walshaw will score goals this season you can count on that he will make all the difference from what we had last season he could walk into any team in this league thankfully he walked into ours, told Simon we needed a cult hero up front at the fans forum now we have one maybe three but "hey what do i know?"

Post by Guest Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:56 pm

If the first half against Leeds is anything to do by, I think it shows forward thinking from Simon, it is just a pre season experiment after all. I think Grimsby will be a tougher test than Leeds on Tuesday night, and am looking forward to the front 3 being on over that goal once more.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:32 am

The first half performance was really excellent, the WWK formation seems to have klicked already. Wonder if the narrow pitch will be kept for the season, maybe there will be a compromise width, say 67 not 64. I have to say (despite my misgivings about the signing) that Lenighan looked a real class player, best on the field I thought. The second half of these games is always a bit of a non-event (for the spectators at least), but Luke Dean scored a good goal, Matt Heath played well, and, if there is any justice, Peter Crook should be given a chance to prove himself when the real stuff starts. To be fair though, Barnes had nothing to do the first half. He has got a hefty kick on him though, a windy day iin November and he might be getting on the score sheet!

Agree with TownUltra, I hadn't realised what a good player Walshaw is, as well a goalscorer. If he stays fit all season, the prospects are awesome.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:39 am

paulstreet wrote:The first half performance was really excellent, the WWK formation seems to have klicked already. Wonder if the narrow pitch will be kept for the season, maybe there will be a compromise width, say 67 not 64.  I have to say (despite my misgivings about the signing) that Lenighan looked a real class player, best on the field I thought. The second half of these games is always a bit of a non-event (for the spectators at least), but Luke Dean scored a good goal, Matt Heath played well, and, if there is any justice, Peter Crook should be given a chance to prove himself when the real stuff starts.  To be fair though, Barnes had nothing to do the first half. He has got a hefty kick on him though, a windy day iin November and he might be getting on the score sheet!  

Agree with TownUltra, I hadn't realised what a good player Walshaw is, as well a goalscorer. If he stays fit all season, the prospects are awesome.

Agree about Crook, that man is amazing! Deserves a chance to be No.1 GK.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:44 pm

I've always rated Crook, and I hope he does get a look in, but we needed an older, experienced keeper in between the sticks. However, saying this, the competiton will improve Crook as a Goalkeeper, and with a good run in the first team, I can see him going into League football.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:49 am