Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+8
Town youth
Ball and Socket
j2021
A1 drifter
paulstreet
gedmaloney
Championship Manager
ultimate warrior
12 posters

Town V Colwyn Bay

Town V Colwyn Bay Empty Town V Colwyn Bay

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Let's get back to talking footie.

Another big game against Colwyn where we really need to he picking up maximum points.

Would people go with the same lineup, injuries permitting, which played so well against Alty and Solihull however lacked something against BPA.

I personally would stick with the same team but look to introduce the likes of Woods and Bolder sooner if things are not going to plan.
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Town V Colwyn Bay Empty Re: Town V Colwyn Bay

Post by ultimate warrior Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:24 pm

we need to get Woods back in the team asap if he's fit for the bench he's fit to play we don't need any big changes i think Saturday would be a good time to for him to return from the start
    Championship Manager
    Championship Manager

Post by Championship Manager Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Woods and Bolder are a difficult prospect although a very good one. I would always have Bolder in the starting line up no matter what team we are playing against or what formation we are playing.

With Woods, as good as he is (on his day the best in the league) you have to build the team around him so to speak which would be a change from our current way of playing. Do we really want to make that change with our current run as it is? Certainly a good headache for Simon to have!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:02 pm

I would start with the same team as BPA, with Sellars starting, instead of Clayton, then i would bring on Woods, Bolder and Ironside after half tie if we are struggling. Woods deserves to be in the team playing if he is ready to go, Bolder is too good to leave out, and with Ironside, he needs more match time to make an impression.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:54 am

Good to have such a strong bench  bom - guarantees that the squad are fighting for their place at all times. Have always been a massive Woods fan but would agree that he would be good to bring on as a substitute if required.
    Just hope we can get in the opposition faces from minute 1 tomorrow but I note CB have the best away record in the league - no room for complacency and my feeling is that the squad are right up for it - fingers crossed cheers  sunny 

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:09 am

We really cannot afford to start the match slowly, and it's time to do the business against Colwyn because they have the upper hand on us this season so far. This game is one we really need to win to not only stay in the play off positions but to also keep that points gap between us and the team of the moment, Guiseley, who are flying at the moment, I actually fancy Guiseley for another win this weekend, and I can see our evening match with them next month possibly being a playoff place decider. 3 points a must tomorrow, we have the squad to win this match comfortably, tactics from the off needs to be spot on, and attack that goal!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:56 am

Always good when the manager has tough decisions to make re: team selection. I quite like the idea of starting with Ironside, but tough on Ashley or Hall. Can't really drop Adam or Anton on their recent form so hard to fit Bolder in, Woods might have to wait awhile. Can't decide between Sellars and Clayton to be honest, Sellars might just have a bit more flair. If Simon handed me the job of picking the team tomorrow (well you never know!), I'd go for

Mac/Samuels/Killock/Heath/Merris/Brown/Nowakowski/Bolder/Ironside/Hall/Dom Rowe
    On the bench: Nelthorpe/Worsfold/Sellars/Mallory/Clayton

Really tough call!
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:39 pm

What's happened to Jahmal Smith ? Injured presumably. Also Cartman ? I suppose the first team is so strong at the moment that neither could get a look in anyway. Hyde have apparently been interested in Ironside.
    j2021

Post by j2021 Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:18 pm

I would go for. No need to change a winning team for me. No one deserves to be dropped and also feel Sellars just edges it over Clayton. He's been outstanding the last few times I've seen him play.

------------Craig-----------
    Samuels-Heath-Killock-Merris
    ------Brown----Adam------
    Rowe----------------Sellars
    ------Hall-----Worsfold-----
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 pm

i would put Woods in for Brown better passer of the ball and more likely to score a goal i like the guy Sellers has pace and more of a direct player,Ironside could be brought on if one off the front two are not cutting it but would like to see him get a bit more time than the last ten minutes to show what he can do, i think it will be a tight game would be happy with a 2-1 win, think Altrincham looked nailed on for a top four place but we need Boston United and Brackley Town to lose
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Interviewed on Radio York, Simon said that both Killock and Clayton will be out injured tomorrow. Franks also out so Mallory likely to play in central defence.

Strength in depth - come on Town !
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:13 am

A1 drifter wrote:Interviewed on Radio York, Simon said that both Killock and Clayton will be out injured tomorrow. Franks also out so Mallory likely to play in central defence.

Strength in depth - come on Town !

so how does Simon handle the pre match chat - would like to think Russell Crowe and his words before battle at the opening of Gladiator affraid affraid affraid 

Cum on Town - hope we are all in good voice cheers cheers 

Destiny calls - episode 2 sunny 
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:46 am

"at my signal. unleash hell!"  affraid  affraid 
    Cum On Town, Cum on the Ultras, Cum on TS - LETSBY AVENUE cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers 
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:45 am

"UNLEASH HELL" In capital letters Ged. Lets give Colwyn Bay a day to remember. In the two away games we have dominated possesssion but not been able to turn this domination into goals. Well todays the day. As they have one of the best away records in the league they also leak a few goals as well as score plenty. They don't come and park the bus it seems but have a go. So we have to be awake to them breaking fast. Glad that Mallory looks as if he is playing beside Heath today as Shane is not quite ready it seems fom Simon's radio interview yesterday. Mallory reads the game so well, is quick and can pass the ball out of defence setting up attacks. Possession and progression is the way to go. Let Colwyn Bay do a bit of chasing the ball and tire them out. Woods and Bolder are obviously the creative stars in our team but are not match fit at the mo so Simon has to stick with Adam & Anton to start with and perhaps change the formation up accordingly. Clayton out too so Sellars should start? Mallory and Merris can put CB under huge pressure from set pieces in and around their final third. Lets get some scoring finishes on the end of the crosses that will inevitably fly across their goalmouth and hopefully give their keeper a sore back from picking the ball out of the net.

COME ON LADS ITS NOW OR NEVER. You have put too much into this season not to reach the play-offs.

COME ON YOU SULPHURITES. I'm bouncing bounce  bounce  bounce 
    Town youth
    Town youth

Post by Town youth Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Come on you town! Let's make it like an away game and really sing our hearts out we NEED this win today! COYT

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:22 pm

gedmaloney wrote:"at my signal. unleash hell!"  affraid  affraid 
    Cum On Town, Cum on the Ultras, Cum on TS - LETSBY AVENUE cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers 

I'm hearing you, Delia!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:39 pm

2 steps forward 3 steps back....Where to start!

Rowe 2 poor games now
    When wingers aren't doing the job it really shows that we have 2 defensive centre mids on the field.
    We played a winger out of position at centre back and there were huge holes, why not just play a regular defender there (Bloomer)?
    No plan B - I know lets throw on Bolder for a winger so we can pack the centre, play negative and lose our shape.

We looked better when Woods came on but by then our shape had completely gone out of the window and the only way you beat a strong team like Colwyn is to use the wings.

Lastly - Ironside......I would be surprised if he got a contract at Sheff U, too slow, doesn't seem to have the strikers instinct and is very very predictable, just turns into the defender every time. Halifax fans didn't rate him.

The only positive is that we are still in 5th place but I fear we will drop away. Have we come to the end of our peak? And why are we only up for the big games?

Will allow Craig the off day considering how immense he has been all season...Problem for keepers, one mistake and it shows.
    thetallaccountant
    thetallaccountant

Post by thetallaccountant Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Didn't deserve any more than a point today I'm afraid. Such a shame to concede a soft goal leaving us up against it from early. I agree that Rowe looked out of sorts. It was a blow Ash had to go off - Ironside had his chance but just wasn't effective. Typical Hall goal to get us back into it, typical Hall performance straining every sinew to harry their defence and also chase back and help our midfield out when he could. Woodsy was a breath of fresh air when he came on - players around him suddenly start to believe there's something on when he's around. We had to gamble and go for the win second half and there was always a chance we'd concede a second. If we're going to make the top 5 we're going to need to be less predictable that we have been the last couple of games. We must find a place in the starting line up for Woods next week and get a good win under our belts.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:04 pm

I was impressed with the team at first, but losing Worsfold early on knocked the team. Ironside stepped up and looks dazed throughout. He's looks like a guy with confidence problems when it comes to attacking goal, and I feel it might be time to give Jalmal Smith another chance at sub and play him when needed to be called on.

Adding Bolder and Woods to the match gave the team some added strength, but they need to on from the start for max impact. Not sure whats affecting Rowe, but he has dipped after some fantastic performances recently. Another fine display from Anton and Hally. Colwyn showed why they are one of the best away teams in the league, very organised and lots of in depth football. top side, look strong.

I think battling and not giving up and coming away with a point and equaliser showed character and promise, but now its time to step up and bring home a BIG win next week at the CNG. we need max points now to keep the distant from Guiseley and cement 5th place.

Championship Manager
    Championship Manager

Post by Championship Manager Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Funny game today, thought we played ok but never seemed to have a spark. Fully agree with Rowe, just didn't get into the game but would of liked to have seen Smith come on for him on the right and kept Sellars on the left, thought he was unlucky to get subbed.

The other side to this was that we got to see Bolder and Woods back in action, both are a must for the next game. Bolder always looks to keep the ball moving whether its out wide or forward to the front men, while Woodsy just adds that quality and as said by thetallaccountant seems to lift the team and everyone in the ground. It would have to be Woods for one of the strikers and Bolder for Brown.

Which brings me to Brown, he looked good at times but never really achieved much. Hes always classed as the Rolls Royce type player but thats pointless if he gets overtaken by a Porsche! Doesn't win much in the air, doesn't tackle well, never drives forward just looks to pass backwards or sidewards although he got Man of the match so what do I know! Him and Adam are just too alike where Adam shades it for me, BRING BACK BOLDS!

I don't think its all doom and gloom, we have a strong squad and as long as that squad of players is used correctly we will keep the run going.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:44 pm

thetallaccountant wrote:Didn't deserve any more than a point today I'm afraid. Such a shame to concede a soft goal leaving us up against it from early. I agree that Rowe looked out of sorts. It was a blow Ash had to go off - Ironside had his chance but just wasn't effective. Typical Hall goal to get us back into it, typical Hall performance straining every sinew to harry their defence and also chase back and help our midfield out when he could. Woodsy was a breath of fresh air when he came on - players around him suddenly start to believe there's something on when he's around. We had to gamble and go for the win second half and there was always a chance we'd concede a second. If we're going to make the top 5 we're going to need to be less predictable that we have been the last couple of games. We must find a place in the starting line up for Woods next week and get a good win under our belts.

i quite agree with everything you said but i think we have missed the boat for the playoffs to many hard games against inform teams to play, i am not impressed with Ironside should be shipped back to Sheffield not up to this league i'm afraid

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:08 pm

rangerider wrote:
    thetallaccountant wrote:Didn't deserve any more than a point today I'm afraid. Such a shame to concede a soft goal leaving us up against it from early. I agree that Rowe looked out of sorts. It was a blow Ash had to go off - Ironside had his chance but just wasn't effective. Typical Hall goal to get us back into it, typical Hall performance straining every sinew to harry their defence and also chase back and help our midfield out when he could. Woodsy was a breath of fresh air when he came on - players around him suddenly start to believe there's something on when he's around. We had to gamble and go for the win second half and there was always a chance we'd concede a second. If we're going to make the top 5 we're going to need to be less predictable that we have been the last couple of games. We must find a place in the starting line up for Woods next week and get a good win under our belts.

i quite agree with everything you said but i think we have missed the boat for the playoffs to many hard games against inform teams to play, i am not impressed with Ironside should be shipped back to Sheffield not up to this league i'm afraid

Agreed...how he has played twenty off games in League one is beyond me.

Definitely still in the hunt for the playoffs but can't make many more slip ups.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:43 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

21 min 35 sec in!!!!

thetallaccountant
    thetallaccountant

Post by thetallaccountant Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks - an interesting interview. What looked like an obvious penalty from the home bench did not look like one from where I was standing right behind the goal about 10 yards away from the incident. Simon is disappointed that after Worsfold went off the front two were too similar, but surely this was not too difficult to predict if Ironside was to be brought on?

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:48 pm

I would of argued the case for Jalmal Smith coming on for the injured Worsfold, and maybe saving Ironside for a possible Hall subsitution. Smith has speed and gets right into the box, the 2 loan deals of Jalmal Smith and Joe Ironside do not seem to be delivering, but with Jalmal he was getting better and you could see how much he wanted to play, to attack, to get the goals. We've seen alot more of Ironside now, and it's not a choice I would use unless really no choice at all.

Lian Hardy has half a dozen goals at his loan side at the moment, he's helped in assists in alot more too, he's back in the form that saw him score 7 earlier this season before injury, for all his faults and I know some of you dont rate him, I would of given Liam Hardy the nod over Ironside yesterday if he was on the bench.

If it was possible, I would cancel Ironsides deal, recall Liam Hardy and use him.

I hope Worsfold is ok. He seemed to be losing alot of blood from the injury from where I was, but he wanted to stay on and play on, credit to the man, he wasnt happy to come off. he really wanted to play. Losing Worsfold unsettled the team for a moment, Ironside just didnt take his chance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:01 am