Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+2
paulstreet
TheNeil29
6 posters

Summary of the Q&A session

Summary of the Q&A session Empty Summary of the Q&A session

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:40 am

I thought it was a productive meeting last night. Good turnout and learnt a few things along the way so well worth attending. The issue about Charlie was nipped in the bud, the club issued an apology and supporters took the opportunity to comment about what an asset she’d been to the club. Hopefully some lessons were learned and we all move on.

Ged chaired the meeting and referred to some questions posted by dark knight. I know I shouldn’t but I had to chuckle when Irving was asked the rather ridiculous question about whether he was a facist! He understandably appeared a bit confused by it all and it suddenly occurred to me that I wasn’t at a supporters meeting, but rather a dictator’s trial for war crimes! The players budget was discussed – no specifics were given but the indication I got was that whilst we weren’t paying in the same league as a few big hitters with short term ambitions, particularly North Ferriby, we nevertheless had a budget that enabled us to compete for a play off place. Supporters were asked what they would consider a failure for this season – I felt anything less than play offs which was pretty much the general consensus. Simon stated top 8 though so don’t get too excited.

The response to the question about Woods and Bolder seemed to indicate that neither had been playing to their full potential and that both players had acknowledged that and would work harder in future. One of the supporters, who I’m assuming must be rangerider, asked several times whether we’d be signing a new striker and it became very clear that at least for the moment that wouldn’t be happening.

There was some discussion about some of the personal abuse players and management had received, which had clearly affected some more than others. It did seem to me that the club are far more sensitive about some of the comments posted on the forum that a lot of people ever realised. Whilst personal abuse shouldn’t be tolerated, a distinction needs to be drawn between posting messages that criticise players’ performances and personal abuse. That’s my view but not sure the management and board share that view.

Simon said that he’d be sticking by the group of players he had and that all would come good in the end. No-one asked when that would be but I guess the plan is for that to happen fairly sharpish. Players were all happy to be at the club apparently (despite them occasionally getting quite hurt and upset by some of the comments on the forum and asking their mums to give them a big kiss and cuddle!). Simon said that his approach was to stick by his players and make sure he gets the best out of them – I did wonder whether this was at the expense of never giving any of them a kick up the backside, but no-one asked that so we’ll never know.

The fitness coach sat there wondering what he was doing there and Macca appeared to be getting more wound up by the minute. It was therefore appropriate that the club was asked for the 15th time whether it would be signing a new striker and again the answer was no. Simon was then asked whether a striker on loan would be signed and the answer was no. Supporters were clear at this juncture that no striker would be signed whether we liked it or not.

Meanwhile, I was getting quite apprehensive about asking my final question as I was aware that it was personal and so I wasn’t sure how it would be received. I needn’t have worried though and Macca was pleased to inform us all that sales of his book were going very well. In fact ‘sell out’ were the words he used, although Irving did clarify that only 200 books had been printed.

Anyway, sure I’ve missed plenty out, but that’s my summary of the evening.

All the best,

TS
    TheNeil29

Summary of the Q&A session Empty Re: Summary of the Q&A session

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:34 am

Cheers TS. I look forward to seeing other people's comments.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks TS! Disappointing to hear that we will not be adding a striker, especially when you think of the difference Knowles made last season. As Ive said before I think Hall is great, and Liam works his socks off (and has made great strides this season), but I think they need support upfront.
    I honestly can't think of many (if any) examples of personal abuse on this site, people are sometimes critical of individual players performances (I try and avoid that), but surely they must expect that as (semi) professional players. It happens everywhere else on the Pyramid so far as I am aware. Was any question raised about Simon's position?

Anyway lets hope we can all move on now and get fully behind the 'lads'. We will have to wait nearly three weeks for another home game however, unless we can re-arrange something for the 12th OCtober. I really must get my act together and get to Gainsborough on Saturday, relatively easy by public transport.

Any chance of any of the under 19's getting in the squad...21-0 (Smile )Exclamation 
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Really good to see the apology to Charlie and her family on the website. Now, REALLY time to move on.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:54 pm

paulstreet wrote:Thanks TS!  Disappointing to hear that we will not be adding a striker, especially when you think of the difference Knowles made last season. As Ive said before I think Hall is great, and Liam works his socks off (and has made great strides this season), but I think they need support upfront.
    I honestly can't think of many (if any) examples of personal abuse on this site, people are sometimes critical of individual players performances (I try and avoid that), but surely they must expect that as (semi) professional players. It happens everywhere else on the Pyramid so far as I am aware.  Was any question raised about Simon's position?

Anyway lets hope we can all move on now and get fully behind the 'lads'. We will have to wait nearly three weeks for another home game however, unless we can re-arrange something for the 12th OCtober. I really must get my act together and get to Gainsborough on Saturday, relatively easy by public transport.

Any chance of any of the under 19's getting in the squad...21-0 (Smile )Exclamation 
    A question was asked about Simon’s position. The repsonse made reference to Simon’s budget during his first season in charge, which as we all know was unworkable and also how hard working Simon is, although few of us would doubt that. Unsure whether it was part of the same discussion, but plenty of emphasis on bad luck. In fact, I think it’s fair to say that the club’s main explanation for our recent poor run of form was down to bad luck. Whether intentional or not the original question got lost along the way, in fact most of us probably forgot what the original question was (i certainly did until you just reminded me!). My interpretation at the time was to assume that Simon probably has the safest job in football management, but others may disagree.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Couldn't make it in the end, was stranded darn sarth (infact had to overnight it in the end) and probably it was best all round.

I'm assuming they were referring to my comments about Adam N last season and my comments aimed towards Simon when they talk about "personal abuse" on here. Well I want to clear the air on that one - I will criticise players/ management when playing badly and congratulate when playing good, it is as simple of that and always will be....Crikey the only club in the UK where players and management can't be criticised, it is never personal it just comes with the role of Semi - PROFESSIONAL football...Anyway from what I know in life, criticism should make you stronger (kids of today eh!).

Right here is my pledge to the club - I will not criticise any player whatsoever if we start churning out some consistency - Hows that Ged? Oh and I promise to mind my P's and Q's too - looked back at my posts and was surprised to see a couple of little naughty words (must have been heat of the moment, sorry to all you younger boys and girls).

Sounds like there was some honesty flying around and happy that the Charlie fiasco has been resolved. Guess I will be at Gainsboro on sat!!
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:33 pm

There was some discussion about some of the personal abuse players and management had received, which had clearly affected some more than others.   It did seem to me that the club are far more sensitive about some of the comments posted on the forum that a lot of people ever realised.  Whilst personal abuse shouldn’t be tolerated, a distinction needs to be drawn between posting messages that criticise players’ performances and personal abuse.  That’s my view but not sure the management and board share that view.

Meanwhile, I was getting quite apprehensive about asking my final question as I was aware that it was personal and so I wasn’t sure how it would be received.  I needn’t have worried though and Macca was pleased to inform us all that sales of his book were going very well.  In fact ‘sell out’ were the words he used, although Irving did clarify that only 200 books had been printed.

All the best,

TS  
    [/quote]
    TS - As Meatloaf would have said - "I couldn't have put it better myself". The Management and Board do share your view - was good to meet up last night.

Ged.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Good to meet you Ged. Not saying I agreed with everything but nevertheless it was a productive meeting that i woukd say all parties benefited from.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:59 am

Big Lundy wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Obviously I'm pleased that the club has apologised, accepted that they were wrong and admitted that the Chairman should have taken responsibility. I'm also pleased to read that Charlie's family now feel appeased and we can all move on from this episode. I do feel though that the apology again comes with a caveat. "We're sorry but we behaved the way we did because we were getting abuse". That's not strictly the truth. The club received abuse because of the way they behaved. Let's be 100% clear about that.

I accept that I have been extremely critical and very harsh in tone on this forum over recent issues. I walked a fine line between what's acceptable and what isn't. This was deliberate on my part. Some people might not like that but I'm afraid that is what it took for the club to act. Had a few of us not kicked up a fuss I have no doubts that all this would have been completely glossed over and forgotten about, totally unchecked. Moving forward I believe the club now knows fully what is expected of it and it would seem from most people's reactions to Wednesday that the relationship between club and supporter is now a healthier one. If that's the case then the turbulence was worth it.

On the footballing side of things I still think there are more questions than answers but I guess only time will answer those questions.

Regarding the issue of abuse on this forum - I admit I swear too much. I can only apologise for that and promise to kerb my language from now on. I'm afraid 20 Years of Billy Connolly videos has shrunk my vocabulary. People often wonder why I get so angry and what is it that fires me up but to give you a little insight to myself, the reason is because I have pretty low expectations, I don't set the bar very high for people, so when those standards don't get met it drives me berserk. In terms of actual abuse I do think the club have been a bit sensitive about what gets said on here. To me and to most people you ask, an internet football forum is a place where fans share and voice their opinions, no different to a conversation we might all have down the pub or on the terrace. I am very surprised to hear that some of the players have been upset. I'll be honest, I can't think of a single post I've seen on this website that I would consider abusive towards a player. In fact I can't think of many posts even singling players out for criticism. If anything I think the players have actually got off pretty lightly during the last few weeks. The bulk of the flak has been aimed at Simon. I know earlier in the season I said I'd been disappointed with Anton Brown but I also remember having to go to great lengths to make it clear to some folk I wasn't writing him off, just that I felt in the few games I'd seen his performances had been a bit laboured and sloppy. I've since said I felt he'd improved. Now if that constitutes abuse it makes me wonder what we actually can say on here in future.

If the chairman really has been getting abusive emails, then fair enough I don't blame him for snapping. When it's sent directly, then I think that makes it pretty personal. I'd be pretty hacked off too. But I do think that he, the manager and the players should all be a bit less concerned with what's said on here. At least if it's on here they can gauge how fans are feeling. If you restrict all criticism to the pub or the terrace then there's little point in having a forum.

Finally, I do think that the chairman and manager need to understand that because of their relationship, when things go badly, their positions are going to come under more scrutiny than would probably be normal. I'm afraid that is the choice they made when entering into it and they shouldn't be so touchy about it.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm quite sure that it was largely due to the fans (fragile and insincere ones at that)which played an important part in holding the club to account.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 pm