Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
paulstreet
nztownfan
TheNeil29
htown
8 posters

Who would you keep?

htown

Who would you keep? Empty Who would you keep?

Post by htown Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:47 am

I may be getting a little bit ahead of myself here but if we did (touch wood) get into the Conference Premier who would you keep from the squad and who would you release in order to free up money and bring in new faces.
    TheNeil29

Who would you keep? Empty Re: Who would you keep?

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:22 pm

STAY:

GK - McGillivray

DF: White, Killock, Samuels, Merris, Radcliffe

MF: Bolder, Bolland, Platt, Woods

ST: Knowles

LEAVE:

GK: Veiga

DF: Bloomer

MF: Nowakowski, Dean, Osbourne (if he exists.), Elam, Youhill

ST: Chilaka, Allan, Beesley, Forrest

nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:04 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:STAY:

GK - McGillivray

DF: White, Killock, Samuels, Merris, Radcliffe

MF: Bolder, Bolland, Platt, Woods

ST: Knowles

LEAVE:

DF: Bloomer

MF: Nowakowski, Dean, Osbourne (if he exists.), Elam, Youhill

Whould still wanto to keep Chib,Beesley and Forrest but only if they knew they were down the order a little.... Elam and Adam Can also stay as squad players if they whould want too

GK- we whould need a new backup

CB- Improvement to CB to make it quicker but a rotation between a new person + one of White and Killock whould be great

FB- Im not sure how Merris or Dwayne whould get on quite frankly... but if we were to get a FB to play both sides and rotate betwen three again it whould be perfect

MF- Woods and Platt are BSP level comfortably and several others are good enough IMO.. but we whould need fast wingers and not Chib playing out wide

ST- Knowles,Chib,Forrest and Beesley is a great strike force... maybe one other if we could find one avalible??

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:47 am

Problem is we seem to be assured that Craig will be leaving for a (much) bigger club in the Summer, otherwise think Neil has it pretty much spot on, there would be issues around White's age I guess and I'm not sure Radcliffe would be among my choices. Knowles (see programme interview) wants to get back into the league. If we stayed part time (big question), would Knowles and Platt stay (or Woods for that matter)? Interesting topic to talk about however Smile
    TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Knowles came here to put himself in the shop window playing for us which I have to problem with if he scores plenty but he is unlikely to stay beyond the end of the season. Mark Cook seems to be struggling to bring in attention so assuming Craig moves on that could be a good move. I think people are being overly harsh on Chib. He is high up on the scoring charts for the league and his physicality earned him one of the biggest goals in the history of this club against Torquay. He has a big part to play for this club next season regardless of what division we are in.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Quite realistic here, but it depends on what the club would be willing to offer Knowles on a P/T contract. If Knowles was to go to a League One club, I dont think he would be the first choice striker (i may be wrong, of course), but I do think he would be best served staying at HTFC, where he is first choice, scoring goals and enjoying his football. I think Cookie would be a good replacement for Craig, but he hasn't gone yet, and he may be of the opinion that HTFC are going places, and want to be a part of that. He is also a relatively young player as well, so he may want to stay at Town, where he is first choice, and that will help him develop even more. I do also think, due to the recent change in management at York City, that Tom Platt may be reviewing his options? The only player that I believe that we havent got a chance of keeping is Michael Woods. This is a player who only 6 years ago, cost Chelsea £5 million quid. Then it just hasnt worked out for him since, but once he is fully fit, he is at least League One quality. I'd be very surprised if we got him in on a P/T contract.

When it comes to Chib, his goalscoring records is something to be revered, at this level, and I do not doubt his ability when played in his favoured position, but my main problem is that when he has played at a higher level (Braintree & Bradford), he hasnt really cut the mustard.

Just my thoughts on it mind. If I win the Euromillions, i'd pay their wages out of my own pocket! Idea
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:58 pm

I have decided just to enjoy the here and now rather than worry about the comings and goings of next season and beyond (will let Simon have that headache).

Players come and go, when Cookie went I was worried we wouldn't find another goalkeeper like him...We we did, and there is always another Knowles playing around the corner......I would like to think though that in a few years we should be reaping the rewards of a good youth setup!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:19 pm

I have revamped my thoughts on who should stay and who should go:

STAY:

GK - McGillivray

DF: White, Killock, Samuels, Merris,

MF: Bolder, Bolland, Dean, Elam

ST: None of Them

LEAVE:

DF: Bloomer, Radcliffe

MF: Nowakowski, Youhill

[/quote]
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:29 pm

you cant scrap what makes harrogate greeeat:

Nowakowski, Bloomer and Allan would walk into any conference north team, conference prem and league club team dressing rooms and be told "you aint no f**king good, but we will play you anyway".
    BTTF
    BTTF

Post by BTTF Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:05 pm

htown wrote:I may be getting a little bit ahead of myself here but if we did (touch wood) get into the Conference Premier who would you keep from the squad and who would you release in order to free up money and bring in new faces.

*awkward* Very Happy
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:29 pm

just get rid of all our strikers, just can't cut it at this level
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:25 am

Sorry to say but this is true.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 pm

the defence this season has been as good as any i have seen in this league i would keep them all, what we need is two quality strikers and two quality midfielders who can pass and chip in with a few goals so if you can suggest any maybe someone you have seen or heard of this season lets hear from you Simon will need all the help we can give him
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:13 pm

What we really need to do is start playing with a balanced formation and with players in right positions....we don't even know if chibs has been s**t this season because he hasn't played up front...for all we know he could be great!! I would keep Bolder only from midfield and build around him...Yep defence sorted but I would bring in an equivlant of merris at right back with a view to moving Samulels to right midfield.....I would then bust an ass to bring Scuba back and play him on the left and bring in an absolute machine of a centre mid, someone who has the same guts/ heading as Nowakoski but who can also think quickly and pass the ball.......I already eyed up the perfect forward from Stalybridge, just a bit slower than Usain Bolt and then we can nab that Stamp guy from gainsboro..........Oh bring back Roma!!!!!!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm

rangerider wrote:the defence this season has been as good as any i have seen in this league i would keep them all, what we need is two quality strikers and two quality midfielders who can pass and chip in with a few goals so if you can suggest any maybe someone you have seen or heard of this season lets hear from you Simon will need all the help we can give him

Would you really keep Bloomer and Radcliffe? One isnt getting a look in (Radcliffe) and the other (Bloomer)? Nuff said really.

Would love to see Dominic Roma back at Town. Phil Stamp from Stalybridge, I think we should try and get Damien Reeves in, because as far as i am aware, he has been wanted by other F/T clubs, but wants to stay semi-pro due to his career outside of football. If Altrincham go up, they will go Full Time. Will he want to be a part of that? I'm not so sure.

I really think we should see what the released list brings as well, as there are bound to be a few quality players there!!
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Damian Reeves would guarantee us promotion but i don't think we have a hope in hell of getting him but could you imagine Reeves and Newsham of Boston up front? "mouth watering" lol!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun May 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Well, another striker has left. Colin Larkin has gone to Gateshead. For me, couldn't fault his work ethic but 1 goal in 13 wasn't good enough. Suppose it is a move for him back into the full-time game though.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun May 12, 2013 7:46 pm

won't be missed not good enough in my opinion
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Sun May 12, 2013 8:29 pm

who has left so far then?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sun May 12, 2013 8:43 pm

well not sure who else has left but I read in the advertisor that Craig M and Adam B have both signed 2 yr contracts (at least we would command a fee for Craig now if he did transfer).

Erm Larkin who? To progress we need better quality!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun May 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Its just Larkin that has departed so far. I'm sure at the end of this week, the picture will be a lot clearer, squad wise.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon May 13, 2013 11:16 am

Thought Larkin was pretty good, but was never going to be a prolific goalscorer. Still, he is moving up which I guess means he was a good (if brief) signing. I would keep Matt Bloomer, he is, in my view, an invaluable squad member, can play numerous roles (including keeper!). Thought Craig might have been snapped up by now, altho' perhaps fair to say his form dropped off a bit towards the end of the season. I suspect there will be a lot of players staying (hope so), but the goal scoring weakness needs to be addressed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:27 pm