Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+9
rangerider
Big Lundy
nobby99
Martin L
gedmaloney
Dan_Gleebitz
TooManyPies
paulstreet
Ball and Socket
13 posters

The Week Ahead

Ball and Socket

The Week Ahead Empty The Week Ahead

Post by Ball and Socket Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 am

The next three matches all at home will I believe define our season. We have Boston, Histon & Colwyn Bay arriving at Wetherby Road. If we can play to our strenghs and potential we should bag nine points and a week on Tuesday at 9.45pm we will be well and truly in the play-off places. COME ON TOWN. GO FOR IT.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

The Week Ahead Empty Re: The Week Ahead

Post by paulstreet Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 am

Absolutely...moment of truth time really: 9 points is possible, but at least 7 should be the minimum expectation. 6 would be just about acceptable, less than that and our play off hopes may be teetering on the brink a bit.

Massive three games coming up.
    TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 am

Massive games, looks like the number of points required is quite high this year, 76 should do it so just under the 2 points a game which we have been doing since November. All about staving off fatigue and putting those chances away! 9 points here would be very nice and would leave us a bit of leeway for the tougher tests to come!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Fingers crossed that Gainsborough suffer the after effects of the FA Trophy defeat. We've still got to play them at Wetherby Road as well.

S.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:03 am

To be honest, I'm not looking for the playoffs this year.

With the number of matches we've got left I think we'll miss out simply because of tiredness anyway.

To me anything above halfway will be a success this season given all the upheavals with the pitch.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 am

Up until a couple of weeks ago I'd have agreed with this, but we are now in such a strong position to reach the play offs (a neutral might say we were favourites for that 5 th spot, given our games in hand), that surely not to really go for it would be daft. Lets try and get there: to be honest I think we would struggle to beat either Guiseley or Halifax in any play offs, but reaching them would be a great achievement. Agree that we are probably not ready for the Conference Premier yet (remember Farsley!), but lets really give the play offs a go and let what comes after take care of itself.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am

paulstreet wrote:Up until a couple of weeks ago I'd have agreed with this, but we are now in such a strong position to reach the play offs (a neutral might say we were favourites for that 5 th spot, given our games in hand), that surely not to really go for it would be daft. Lets try and get there: to be honest I think we would struggle to beat either Guiseley or Halifax in any play offs, but reaching them would be a great achievement. Agree that we are probably not ready for the Conference Premier yet (remember Farsley!), but lets really give the play offs a go and let what comes after take care of itself.

I would agree - not worth getting too carried away but then again we would feel confident against Brackley and if we go into the play offs with the old momentum you just never know - after all a Div 2 side would never beat Arsenal, Wigan and Aston Villa affraid affraid
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Real Madrid also have a busy week ahead like Harrogate Town. Barcelona away tonight in the Copa Del Rey Semi Final 2nd leg (1-1), Barcelona at home in Madrid at the weekend in La Liga and a wee trip to Man Utd in the second leg of their Champions League tie next Weds (1-1). We have got all this to look forward too!!! Wink COME ON TOWN. Go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and nothing to lose. Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:55 am

One down, now we entertain Histon with Colwyn Bay at home on Tues 5th Mar , Halifax away Thurs 7th Mar : Confirmed and Chester at home Sat 9th Mar. All in quick succession!!! We need to get behind the lads and help them through this coming week. Two teams at the bottom fighting relegation and two teams at the top one aiming for the title the other the play-offs. FOUR CUP TIES IN A ROW!!! It does'nt get any better. COME ON YOU SULPHURITES. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Martin L

Post by Martin L Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:41 pm

AND........FREE TICKETS thrown in if you sign up to the Supporters Club !

Nice, cheap plug.

Ooh Town !!!

Mart
    nobby99

Post by nobby99 Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Just hope the pitch can cope with all these games, thankfully the players seem to have adapted to it Smile

Its all a bit of a wasted effort if the ground isn't up to Conference standards though. Seem to remember something about not being able to go into the play offs unless the ground meets Conference standards? There used to be something about being allowed to go up for a season, giving you time to improve the ground, but don't know of that still applies.

Be good to get something from the club on what the 'grand plan' is. Are we aiming for the Conference ? If so is the ground good enough? Somehow I doubt it, but I'd take a token year in the conference so long as we don't spend silly money, if nothing else than to drum up more support.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:58 pm

You actually have to apply to take part in the play-offs @ the beginning of each season!
    You then have to have the correct ground facilities in place to take part in them by the 31st March of that season!
    You then have up to the 31st March of your 1st season in Conference Premier to upgrade to a grade A ground!
    We are OK to take part in the play-offs but the CNG Stadium would have to become a building site during the summer if we won promotion££££££££
    Anything from the Don Valley Stadium for sale?

rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Yes it would be nice to hear from the club what the great plan is,
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    We have planning permission for a replacement stand down the Wetherby Road side of the ground!
    Although we have made plenty of brass from this seasons F.A.Cup run the pitch is going to cost us £££ & we have had new floodlights put up £££
    The new stand will cost ££££££££ but should help increase the capacity a bit down that side of the ground!
    Our capacity used to be 3,800 but is currently 3,290
    Not sure why it was reduced but will have probably been due to the “Green Guide”
    Segregating away fans could also mean a reduction in your ground capacity but this needs to happen for a grade A ground!
    2,926 in v Hastings (no segregation)
    3,317 in v Torquay (with segregation)
    Development behind the top goal could lift the capacity above 4,000 with segregation in place!
    But another 2,000 on top of the Hasting crowd?

rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:54 pm

The stadium where Olympic hero Jessica Ennis was discovered and trains will be closed and demolished as a cost-cutting measure, councillors have decided.

The £29 million Don Valley Stadium, in Sheffield, is being sacrificed as part of Sheffield City Council's bid to save millions of pounds.

Get down there Irving looks like bargains to be had lol!
    devrede

Post by devrede Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Some years ago, along with Alf and George Dunnington and other whose names escape me, we were invited to Boothferry Crescent (Hull City had relocated to there new ground) to help ourselves to seats from a specific area of the main stand, and also to two turnstiles. The seats, or at least some of them, are those in the Sponsors sections, and the turnstiles are those near the club house.
    As Sheffield City Council have definately decided that the Don Valley Stadium will be demolished, it would be interesting if anything was available that could assist in any planned development of the CNG now or in the future.
    Have Spanners will travel.
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:32 pm

its something we have to at least ask about... there are other stadiums which are being demolished this season too... even knockdown prices is better to get now rather then waiting until we need them and none are avalible
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 am

In the dim and distant past, I seem to remember Bill Fotherby saying we had acquired seats rom the old Darlington ground...whatever happened to them?

As others have said it would be nice to hear what the ckub is planning IF we reach the play-offs (and we must have a good chance now), and then IF we win the 2nd promotion place. Big IF mind you, we would probably be away to Giseley in the semi-final Shocked Clearly we ARE going for the play-offs big time, so some preliminary planning must be in place.

By the way Blue Square don't seem to share our confidence: in the NLP yesterday, they had Alty at 5-1, Gainsborough at 13-2 and us at 14-1 Evil or Very Mad Despite usbeig 5th and aving games in hand, but then maybe they have seen our upcoming fixtures!
    TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 am

I noticed those odds too. Think they might be worth a little punt! Its understandable though, if we did qualify for play offs we would have to play 18 games in the next 2 months, also this time next week we will have no games in hand on Trinity and have had our 2 most difficult fixtures remaining this season so any advantage would be a bonus. Makes Colwyn Bay added importance though and they will be fighting for their lives so it won't be easy!

Also Paul I think the playoff is a 2 legged affair now but the final is at the home of the highest ranked club in the final. Added incentive to finish as high up as possible!
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Two down one to go. I said at the beginning of this post that the next three games would define our season not knowing then that the League would insist that Halifax and us play this Thursday night. Well if we can see off Colwyn Bay and improve our goal difference the Halifax game regardless of the result will still see us in a play-off spot. Having White back in the middle of the back four after his 'rest' is a great bonus as long as he tells the ref that he is doing a great job!! The squad are going to be stretched this week. I just hope that Simon & John can get the balance right and make sure that ALL the players get a run out and so maintain their match fitness. COME ON TOWN. cheers cheers cheers
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Would be nice to take an early lead and settle this time...Perhaps allow Weaver to bring off key players for Thursday
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:51 pm

just hope he dosen't put Chib on the wing
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm

I dont think he would be that tactially inept to do it for a third time.......would he?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:34 pm

erm probably........I best eat my chips and curry before the team is announced!
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Save Knowles for Halifax & Chester and play Chib upfront tonight with Youhill on the right. give Bolder a rest too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:22 am