Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+5
rangerider
trevdee
Innocent Bystander
pie and chips
paulstreet
9 posters

time to admit, the club got it wrong ...

time to admit, the club got it wrong ... Empty time to admit, the club got it wrong ...

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:49 pm

... for all the talk about sand slitting, cross stitching, sub stripping, blah blah blah, isn't it about time the club admits it made some fundamental mistakes with the pitch, that it should have been left well alone, only paying attention to the areas which specifically required attention. I'm by no means the only person who seems to think the club has got it wrong, some have commented about the current management not knowing enough about the pitch, drainage, etc. Whilst everyone was singing the praises of the weaver machine, I made my way down to knaresborough town - lovely little club, pitch in great condition, not a word about cross stitching (or whatever it is), a warm welcome, great clubhouse, and good beer. Get your act together weaver. Appoint some people that know what they're doing and that includes a new manager.

time to admit, the club got it wrong ... Empty Re: time to admit, the club got it wrong ...

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:29 pm

town supporter wrote:... for all the talk about sand slitting, cross stitching, sub stripping, blah blah blah, isn't it about time the club admits it made some fundamental mistakes with the pitch, that it should have been left well alone, only paying attention to the areas which specifically required attention. I'm by no means the only person who seems to think the club has got it wrong, some have commented about the current management not knowing enough about the pitch, drainage, etc. Whilst everyone was singing the praises of the weaver machine, I made my way down to knaresborough town - lovely little club, pitch in great condition, not a word about cross stitching (or whatever it is), a warm welcome, great clubhouse, and good beer. Get your act together weaver. Appoint some people that know what they're doing and that includes a new manager.

May I take this opportunity to wish TS a happy new year.

I think the benefit of hindsight would be great, some average weather would have helped rather than the wettest year since the dinosaurs roamed the earth and maybe mistakes were made in construction but I am not a pitch preparation expert so that would be pure speculation. Even Wembley had it's problems a few years back. However we are where we are and there has to be a contingency plan as January is not known as the best of months for being mild and dry.

There must have been discussions with the League on this, so I guess we will be told when there is something to tell.

On the Manager front, apart from the obvious disappointment over not beating Hastings (yes it was a long round trip) I think this is his best spell since taking the job. If you take the view that everything that is good is down to the players performing inspite of the Manager, and everything bad is down to the Manager anyway, then there is no point having the debate as you have already stated the principle behind your thinking.

At present, I am taking an overall view on things and barring the pitch, it has been pretty good overall in my opinion.

S.

time to admit, the club got it wrong ... Empty Re: time to admit, the club got it wrong ...

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:03 pm

Happy new year, Slicker

Unfortunately, we are where are due to some fundamental mistakes that have been made. The club should take responsibility, enough is enough.

Playing wise we're no better than average, and the quality of football is generally poor. Time for a change.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:40 am

As Slicker says we (certainly me) are not in a position to know precisely why the pitch is in the state it is, but the weather in the summer was terrible, and since we have never had more than 3 or so dry days in a row, As for the manager, come on, not only did we reach the 2nd round for the first time ever, but we have assembled a pretty strong squad: its presumably Simon who decides who to sign and this season no-one has really disappointed. Its remarkable that we are STILL 14th in the league despite having so many games in hand. Ive criticised the manager in the past, but this season he deserves praise, in my view.
    pie and chips

Post by pie and chips Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Happy New Year to all!
    TS, I really feel you are being far too negative. As I understand it - the Club has worked with the FA to level and re-seed the pitch. This was why the FA were prepared to make a grant of a considerable proportion of the cost, and are still working with the Club to overcome the pitch problem. If TS or any other supporter had successfully forecast the abysmal weather since April throughout the year.........well, the work would have been postponed! Also, if TS,you could have prevented the rain falling on Wetherby Road, you should have done so! But you didn't!
    The answer, therefore, is to sack Town Supporter.
    Seriously, I think that everyone at the Club has done a terrific job this season, so let's all wish for dry weather for a few weeks!
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:41 pm

The weather forecasters are suggesting a dry spell is on the cards - manna from heaven for our hard-working ground staff!
    Keep the faith everyone and by mid March excitement levels could be close to Hastings proportions!
    Good luck to the team at Workington today!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:28 pm

pie and chips wrote:Happy New Year to all!
    TS, I really feel you are being far too negative. As I understand it - the Club has worked with the FA to level and re-seed the pitch. This was why the FA were prepared to make a grant of a considerable proportion of the cost, and are still working with the Club to overcome the pitch problem. If TS or any other supporter had successfully forecast the abysmal weather since April throughout the year.........well, the work would have been postponed! Also, if TS,you could have prevented the rain falling on Wetherby Road, you should have done so! But you didn't!
    The answer, therefore, is to sack Town Supporter.
    Seriously, I think that everyone at the Club has done a terrific job this season, so let's all wish for dry weather for a few weeks!

You can't sack me, pie and chips - I am, and will continue to be, the voice of reason, guiding you lost and troubled supporters of the weaver machine
    pie and chips

Post by pie and chips Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Lots of people think they can't be sacked - but I usually find a way!
    By the way, if you are guiding us, I think we're lost any way!
    Finally - I support Harrogate Town, which I know you do, too.
    Is the problem you have with the "weaver machine" perhaps unrelated to football?
    I think we should be told! bounce

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Sorry to disappoint but we have won away at Workington.

The anti Weaver sentiment is clearly personal and not based on the performance of the team, the post Fotherby infrastructure put in place nor the financial stability which must be the envy of most clubs at our level.

Be careful what you wish for TS.

S.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:59 pm

ooh Town! I am sat here in a Premier Inn at Gatwick preparing to take a group of 30 students on warm-weather hockey training ..... but more interested in the Harrogate result! Yes ... 2-1..... and a debut goal for Adam Baker!

I reckon a point at Altrincham will be good but we played them off the park for the first 45 in August so another away win is a possibility!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:14 pm

slicker wrote:Sorry to disappoint but we have won away at Workington.

The anti Weaver sentiment is clearly personal and not based on the performance of the team, the post Fotherby infrastructure put in place nor the financial stability which must be the envy of most clubs at our level.

S.

It is ridiculous to suggest that just because I don't share your misguided view about the way forward that I have personal views about the weaver machine. Some bad decisions were made about the pitch and the manager isn't good enough.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm

town supporter wrote:
    slicker wrote:Sorry to disappoint but we have won away at Workington.

S.

It is ridiculous to suggest that just because I don't share your misguided view about the way forward that I have personal views about the weaver machine. Some bad decisions were made about the pitch and the manager isn't good enough.

"misguided" in your opinion, which you are entitled to.

Much as you might try to make it look like it, this isn't Blackburn Rovers !

S.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:31 pm

The Weaver machines have come along way in a very short amount of time....Irving had no experience of running a football club and has learnt very quickly and in my eyes the guy has thrown himself head first into the job. For me he sees the bigger picture and has a vision and is making the first steps to getting there, so whilst I feel he has a vision and see progress he has my backing 100%.

As for Simon, well I was one who perhaps have said a few harsh words about him in the past, but fair play to the guy, he didn't back down and walk away. Yes he was very inexperienced when he first came, plus he inherited no squad and probably had very little contacts to build a good squad, but I can see major improvement in all areas and can actually see him doing a very good job longer term. Again, like Irving, as long as I can see Simon showing the determination to succeed and a steady improvement, then he also has my backing. Plus I like the fact he has a peep on these forums and makes changes that I recommend (like moving Chibs back up front or reacting to how a game is unfolding by making smarter changes).
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Innocent Bystander wrote:ooh Town! I am sat here in a Premier Inn at Gatwick preparing to take a group of 30 students on warm-weather hockey training ..... but more interested in the Harrogate result! Yes ... 2-1..... and a debut goal for Adam Baker!

I reckon a point at Altrincham will be good but we played them off the park for the first 45 in August so another away win is a possibility!

is that the Altrincham that the goal machine Dermot Reeves plays for? oh s**t
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Reeves is a player i whould love to sign... imagian an atack of Chib o holdthe ball up and goal machine Reeves.... add to that our midfield we whould/could be hitting automatic places

Reeves's contract is out in the summer and i dont think he is being payed too much at altrincham (look at the rest of there squad) and i know conference teams will proberbly be in for him... but i whould like weaver to show ambition and try to get him in Very Happy
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 pm

we would get promotion if we had him, seen him 4 times this year but it just depends like you say if the club gas any ambitions to get us out of this league sadly i don't think so Sad
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Damien Reeves was offered a contratc with a league team at the begiinning of the season but turned it down for personal reasons and will not be moving anywhere on the basis of reports at the beginning of the season.
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:57 pm

gedmaloney wrote:Damien Reeves was offered a contratc with a league team at the begiinning of the season but turned it down for personal reasons and will not be moving anywhere on the basis of reports at the beginning of the season.

i thought it was because he wants to stay semi-pro??? Enjoys his job i thouht i read...?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:52 am

Might be worth a look at this guy - another midfielder but Halifax fans seem a bit upset by his release;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:38 pm

We have got to sign him, this boy has some serious quality, but after reading about him, and due to his quality, it wouldn't surprise me if he went back up into the League:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:05 pm

So if we signed this guy, Reeves and the quick winger at Stalybridge we would probably finish top 8 in the conference, let alone the conference north.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:35 pm

If we could add these 3 personnel to our current squad, it would make the other sides in the BSN sit up and take notice even more than the Bolder signing.
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Mr Chairman if you reading... getting Reeves will make your money back in promotion Very Happy if you get the outher two aswell we could be a very very good team and get us even more money Very Happy

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:43 pm

nztownfan wrote:Mr Chairman if you reading... getting Reeves will make your money back in promotion Very Happy if you get the outher two aswell we could be a very very good team and get us even more money Very Happy

I would hope that the club showed a bit more imagination than purchasing one of the most expensive strikers un non league football. I thought it was all about ensuring the club was sustainable?
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:45 pm

town supporter wrote:
    nztownfan wrote:Mr Chairman if you reading... getting Reeves will make your money back in promotion Very Happy if you get the outher two aswell we could be a very very good team and get us even more money Very Happy

I would hope that the club showed a bit more imagination than purchasing one of the most expensive strikers un non league football. I thought it was all about ensuring the club was sustainable?

free at the end of the year.... also he is exactly what we need and i suspect whouldnt cost more then what we earned in fa cup money....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:54 pm