Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

5 posters

Positive Approach

Positive Approach Empty Positive Approach

Post by Guest Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:32 am

I think it's worth pointing out how refreshing it is to have a manager who has such a positive outlook about what the club is trying to achieve, no moans or groans, just getting on with the job. It can't have been easy putting together a completely new squad of players on a reduced budget, but in my opinion, Simon has so far done a fantastic job.
    To be quite honest, although a decent enough manager, I didn't find Aspin very approachable, nor was he very inspiring. I remember when at one stage of the season we were challenging at the top end of the division, and when interviewed the best he could come up with was that "play offs was still the target". Maybe that's all the players thought they were capable of even though many of us thought otherwise.
    Anyway, good luck to Simon and the lads. A strong backbone with Bloomer, Woodhouse and Ryan plus the likes of Sturdy, Burrell and Emms should ensure that we have a good season. I for one can't wait for the new season to begin.
    Cheers,
    Town supporter
    Geoff

Positive Approach Empty Re: Positive Approach

Post by Geoff Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:56 am

I totally agree -
    Survival is the main aim this season ..... staying in the Conference North and (hopefully) making some progress on a new ground.... have any of you spotted an architect's perspective for a new ground in the main sponsor's lounge?
    This is a tough league with most clubs having a squad of 24 - a lot have spent heavily (Fleetwood and Alfreton spring immediately to mind in addition to the 'usual suspects'). We have a squad of 18/19 at the moment so high levels of fitness, good physio facilities and on-field discipline will be essential.
    pie and chips

Post by pie and chips Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Totally agree. What I've seen so far is a different club to last season.............under a new manager, who has an utterly focused approach, and also appears to expect discipline on and off the pitch............can't wait!!
    Just have to try to remember the names and faces!
    Hope the first programme has a photo feature.
    TheTown
    TheTown

Post by TheTown Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Geoff wrote:I totally agree -
    Survival is the main aim this season ..... staying in the Conference North and (hopefully) making some progress on a new ground.... have any of you spotted an architect's perspective for a new ground in the main sponsor's lounge?
    This is a tough league with most clubs having a squad of 24 - a lot have spent heavily (Fleetwood and Alfreton spring immediately to mind in addition to the 'usual suspects'). We have a squad of 18/19 at the moment so high levels of fitness, good physio facilities and on-field discipline will be essential.

I think trying to stay in the league is a bit much. Alright we have a totally new squad, and everyones a bit unsure as to how we are going to fair but from the players we've bought in looks like we should be at least guaranteed mid table, hopefully more. My main worry for the squad is the age, with so many young players its a bit worrying as it can be pretty physical down in this league (or maybe I was getting too used to watching James Dean, or Aspins tactics!), and hoping that the older players will be able to help them out.

However this with curtis, sturdy and simon I reckon we will be okay. I think one of the main problems over the past couple of years has been a reliance on players who have already achieved something in the game rather than being hungry to achieve something. Look at danny and scooby last year, players who came from lower standard football who were the top performers throughout last year.

I havent seen the new ground designs yet, what do they look like? Any chance someone would take a photo and post it on here.
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:49 pm

pie and chips wrote:
    Hope the first programme has a photo feature.

Oh believe me - it does!
    Geoff

Post by Geoff Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:10 pm

Is the club being very pro-active in promoting the first two games?
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:55 am

As a new Town supporter I can only reiterate previous comments:

Getting a team together in a short period of time - DIFFICULT
    Developing a team spirit quickly - DIFFICULT
    Achieving this with a much reduced budget - DIFFICULT
    Getting the team fully fit for the start of the season - DIFFICULT.

Top marks to Simon and Kevin and all the very best for the season - I believe it will take time for the team to gel but am certain that they will not fall short when it comes to effort.

Saturday 3pm - Bring it on!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:35 am