Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

5 posters

Club official site problems?

Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Club official site problems? Empty Club official site problems?

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:35 am

Don't know if it's my computer or the site itself but when I go to the Club site, my computer starts throwing all sorts of wobblies.

The fan goes haywire, if I try to navigate down a page then I get the hourglass and it takes an age to register that I've scrolled down. Likewise if I click on an item I want to read, I could go for my tea in the time it takes to get the news item up - even the very short ones. And almost always I get the message that Google Chrome is using a hell of a lot of memory.

It only happens on the Club site. Anyone else experiencing this?
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Club official site problems? Empty Re: Club official site problems?

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:59 pm

I think that the problem may well be Google Chrome. It is the slowest to load up the site using Google Analytics speed tools.

The fastest is Firefox.

Switch browsers and see if that works.

Cheers,

Peter
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for your input.

I wondered if it was my computer, rather than Chrome. I use Chrome because it's the fastest in my experience but my computer has seen better days, even though I keep it tuned up.

I've also noticed that it seems to struggle on sites where there is a "background" - and I notice that's happening to a lot of football club sites nowadays.
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:56 pm

I must admit that I don't have a problem on my machine. I put the site through a stress test last night and it came up with an average load time of 2.56 seconds per page. Firefox was the fastest, I.E.9 was second and Safari was third. I am afraid Chrome registered last with 6.02 seconds.

The background picture is only 504 kb in size so it shouldn't slow the site down at all!

My friend uses his IPad to view the site and he reports no slow down on pages. Android is slower then IOS systems but only by a second.

I am afraid it may be your machine or Chrome.

Hopefully you will get it sorted mate.

Cheers,

Peter
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:51 am

I'd love a load time of 6.02 seconds! At the moment I can go off and make a bacon sandwich in the time it takes to load. Then if I want to navigate down the news items (for example) it keeps "sticking" while I get frustrated.

Think it must be my machine as viewing on my android phone is no problem (I look at the full site, I think I used to have just the mobile site on it). And as I've said, there are other sites where I've noticed the same problem now.

Hey ho.....comes with having a 2G memory and 80G hard drive I guess. Don't you just love progress Laughing
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:16 am

I don't have a computer at home and use other sources (libraries, Leeds uni etc.) and I have exactly the same problems as Dan does. I'm assuming the Uni (where I am now) has pretty fast connections etc. And its only the Town site where I have the problems. I access one page OK, then when I try and access another it 'freezes' and goes generally haywire. This applies whether I am at the Uni, Harrogate, Headingley or Leeds libraries. Very frustrating!
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi All,

I have spoken with the web site developers about these issues and they have run a whole host of speed and access tests on the site and found ............ nothing at all!

In essence the only advice that we can both give is to do with the browsers and cache. From the comprehensive results that they got it seems like Firefox and the latest edition of Internet Explorer are the best. IOS (Apple Ipads, Iphone etc) and Android devices are the next fastest whilst Safari will also work well (although slower) the least favourite two seem to be Google Chrome and also Comodo.

I must admit that, as well as you guys, I am getting frustrated by this as I can find nothing wrong when I view it. I have even looked at the site on a Windows 2000 Operating System using IE 7 and it ran without problem. The strange thing is Paul, I went and looked at it at Harrogate library and it was fine - arrgghhhhh!

The developers did stay that machines with low memory will "stutter" with the demands of the internet, especially when using a "new level" browser i.e. Google Chrome, Safari and new versions of Firefox!

I have gone through the entire site and the largest image file is only 1.7Mb and they are all sized correctly!

I do hope that you guys suffering problems do get to sort it out but from a technical side, we can find nothing wrong at all. Even the server was tested and access was granted at .7 of a second after request and the page delivered at 2.56 seconds!

Pete
    pie and chips

Post by pie and chips Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Sorry, but I've had problems on the official site for ages - it's "clunky", and sluggish, slow to load. I fully accept that it has been investigated, and no fault found! Unfortunately, I have no way to help, but wonder why it is the only site that I have a problem with!!!
    Embarassed
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Oh this is getting frustrating now! Could you guys give me which pages you are having the problem (ie - home page, latest news etc), when it sticks (background picture, normal picture, text etc), what browser are you using (Firefox, Google Chrome, IE9 etc)

I will try and see if there is a pattern and what I can think of!

Cheers,

Pete
    pie and chips

Post by pie and chips Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Google Chrome.
    Home page,latest news, pictures of ground,almost as if any part of the site struggles to load.
    Sorry,Pete, I really don't want to grumble, it doesn't stop me using the site, but it is slow.
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Just for the record I use firefox and everything runs fine
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 pm

You're not grumbling mate, I want to help sort it out so all can enjoy the site - I must admit that I am very proud of it.

Actually there may be an answer in your answer - try using a different browser. One thing that the tests and scans have identified is that Google Chrome is one of the worse browsers to use.

I would suggest Firefox (although cannot guarantee it and data loss etc etc) but it is the main one that I use and to be fair I can see a massive difference (I have IE9, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Comodo on mine so I can see that the site works on all) Google Chrome is the slowest on mine as well.

Hope that it may be of some help.

Pete

Last edited by HTAFC Press Officer on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Smelemon wrote:Just for the record I use firefox and everything runs fine

Thanks Smelemon, that's a big relief - I thought I was going mad for a minute!!!! - to be fair I do think its all browser related!
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Sorry to nudge this one up to the top again, but I've just realised that the problem of loading/stuttering etc isn't happening across the whole Club site, it's only when I click on the 'NEWS' tab. ALl of the others seem to work fine, it's just that one.
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:Sorry to nudge this one up to the top again, but I've just realised that the problem of loading/stuttering etc isn't happening across the whole Club site, it's only when I click on the 'NEWS' tab. ALl of the others seem to work fine, it's just that one.

Don't be sorry, I have asked about this and the developers are hopefully going to implement an auto archive function that should eliminate this (also on the match report page)

I will admit that this is the slowest page on the site to load up, probably because of all the content.

Cheers,

Pete
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:39 pm

I've pushed this one up again as I'm still having horrendous problems getting the news page to load.

Any news on this auto-archiving thingy? At the moment I'm not looking at news pages as I can't spare the time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 pm