Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+2
sagalout
paulstreet
6 posters

Survival mathematics..not QUITE all over yet

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Survival mathematics..not QUITE all over yet Empty Survival mathematics..not QUITE all over yet

Post by paulstreet Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 am

We need to finish above Vauxhall AND Lewes. We have FOUR games in hand of VM and are 8 ponts behind. We have THREE games in hand of Lewes and are 9 points behind. To survive we really do need to win every game, and hope that Lewes drop at least one point. Winning all our games in hand will take us above Vauxhall and level on points with Lewes (havn't checked the goal difference). So it is STILL in our own hands to escape, but plucky performances i'm afraid are no longer enough, only victories will do from here on in.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Survival mathematics..not QUITE all over yet Empty Re: Survival mathematics..not QUITE all over yet

Post by paulstreet Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:43 am

Just checked: Lewes have a goal difference of minus 20, ours is minus 33, so not so good, but, if we DO win our remaining games that will inevitably decrease that minus figure and we need to hope Lewes lose 2 or 3 of their remaining games (they have 5 to go). Its not impossible, but highly unlikely. Its frustrating because just another 4 or 5 more points would have increased our chances considerably. Goes without saying that SAturday really IS win or bust.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Survival mathematics..not QUITE all over yet Empty Re: Survival mathematics..not QUITE all over yet

Post by paulstreet Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:51 am

Me again (well what else have I got to do today Smile . Lewes have 2 away and 3 home games to go, i against a fellow struggler, one against a play off hopeful and 3 mid-table teams. I guess they would be hoping for 8 or 9 points from those games...never thought I'd be that ionterested in Lewes FC Shocked
    sagalout

Post by sagalout Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:52 pm

lol, our form for the last 8 games is: LLLLLDLL

I can't somehow see us winning all of our remaining games Laughing
    Calgary HTFC Fan

Post by Calgary HTFC Fan Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:12 pm

I never really looked at our current form, i knew it was bad but LLLLLDLL thats fu-ki-g embarressing and how people our actually standing up and supporting Weaver is beond me !!!!!
    Mr Fotherby, its time you stepped in and sorted this mess once and for all, and for those who say its the wrong time to sack him, Bollocks.... get rid now !!!!! Mad

Post by Guest Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks Paulstreet for that. You've saved me hours with my shoes and socks off.

On the subject of "sack the manager", can I refer Calgary HTFC Fan to the Hyde thread. Sack the manager and wave goodbye to everything (£) that comes with him. I never thought that non league football would have anything in common with Formula 1, but there are two similarities ;

1. You think you know the final outcome but then find that the administrators can change everything

2. Certain drivers only get a seat because of the dosh they bring with them to the team

S.
    Calgary HTFC Fan

Post by Calgary HTFC Fan Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:40 pm

With regards to Slickers quote i quite agree, but we now seem to be in a position where we need Mr Weavers money to move forward but with that comes his son who really isn't up to management and by getting relegation has put us backwards probably 3-5 years !!! as i truly believe that the Unibond will be a tough league to get out of where we cannot compete with the likes of Bradford PA, Halifax and FCU Manchester who can call on the support of 1500 for home games as compared to our 150-250.
    So the big question is where do we go from here ? Do we sack the manager and lose the financial backing or do we try and relocate with the financial backing and have a poor manager who really couldn't get us out of a wet paper bag !!!!
    'But' as someone said on a previous post, at least we do have a club and we are in a position to bitch about the day to day runnings as opposed to our close neighbors in Farsley.
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:03 am

Just to play Devil's advocate here for a minute!

But I seem to remember a certain Scottish manager joining Manchester United and being a bit (well ok, a lot) crap to start with, in fact he was one game away from being sacked (which United won 2-1 if memory serves well) and, well the rest is history - that Scottish bloke (can't remember his name!) hs done rather well (and his horses too!).

Simon may have made mistakes this season (and he does admit this as well) but again playing Devil's advocate he is young and learning his trade! I am sure that everyone starting a new job has not walked straight into it knowing eberything. I have been a nurse for almost 14 years and I still learn things on a daily basis!

I am not saying he is right or wrong for the job, all I am saying is maybe, like Sir Scottish bloke, we should allow him to make mistakes and then see what the future holds!

Also any team getting shut of a manager with just seven games to go - not very helpful, might as well see out the job in my opinion - but that is just that - my opinon!
    riverside

Post by riverside Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:13 am

I agree Big Red Machine it wouldn't serve any purpose to relieve Simon Weaver of his Managers post with 7 games left, he might as well be allowed to see it through, find out where you'll be playing next year, then make some decisions.
    However, I do find it very hard to see how you can compare him with Alex Ferguson?? You're correct in saying Fergie was nearly given the bullet at Man Utd, but Fergie had already won things with Aberdeen, he stopped the dominance of the 2 Glasgow sides and won European Competitions. Mr Weaver has won nothing previously as a manager and by the looks of it is going to take you down. Fergie didn't do any of that.
    On the other hand hopefully he will have learnt from his mistakes and if you do keep him as Manager for next year, regardless of what division you're playing in, he'll have to perform a HELL of a lot better than he has this year.
    His rant, which was published on the website after the Ilkeston game was disgraceful. How is that going to insipre men, that he brought into the club, to play for him?
    He also hasn't any coaching experience and I am not sure whether his assistant has any either. I think this is a negative which he needs to sort out.Reading some of your comments about movement etc it doesn't sound like they are coached. He only goes on about , passion, desire and commitment, which are needed but a team also needs more technical aspects of the game coaching.
    Fergie ALWAYS ensures he has top quality coaches around him, he manages, they coach. Simon is very enthusiastic by all accounts, however I feel he needs to step back and MANAGE and let a Coach get the team playing in a way they know and above all can play to. I have watched Town a few times this season and feel they lack structure and a game plan. Fergie would never allow that to happen. Just a few objective thoughts from an outsider.
    sagalout

Post by sagalout Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:49 am

Good post riverside.

Being a manager is about the ability to lead. I'm sure Simon Weaver is a nice bloke, but he hasn't shown leadership qualities. His constant blaming of the squad after games is a bad sign - you wont see good managers doing that. Sure, give the players the hair dryer treatment, but in private, otherwise they just wont want to play for you.

He may in time turn out to be a good manager - leadership, whiclst often a natural attribute, CAN be taught, but it unlikely to be discovered by accident.

Edit - I should also say theres absolutely no point in changing the manager with 7 games to go. We're going down now, and the team will inevitably be very different in september, so it would be a waste of time bringing in a new manager at this stage. If its going to happen, make a clean break at the end of the season to give a new guy chance to build his own team. If, for whatever reason, we are going to persist with SW, then he needs a mentor or some quality coaching of his own sharpish
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:18 pm

All these are fair points, if Simon does stay (and it seems like he will), maybe Tom Wade could be thanked for his efforts and a top quality coach appointed to assist Simon next season. You could pay him quite a bit and still have quite a lot of that £46 million left!
    Johnny
    Johnny

Post by Johnny Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Let's hope Daddy Weaver's money can weave some magic some time soon! Razz
    riverside

Post by riverside Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Just to add to what I said earlier about Simon Weaver needing to learn his trade quickly and his post match outburst to radio York after the Ilkeston game.

This is a quote by Jose Mourinho after Chelsea lost 1-0 at Newcastle a few years ago:

"I AM THE MANAGER AND I MAKE DECISIONS. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEFEATS;MY TEAM ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WINS.

That, in my opinion, is how you motivate a team when you feel down after a game.

Just a thought for him to ponder over the coming months.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:27 pm