Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
Crossan
Top Cat
Ozzi
GARAGE
8 posters

Halifax at home

GARAGE

Halifax at home  Empty Halifax at home

Post by GARAGE Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:42 am

We are starting to fall apart slowly. The management are trying to give game time to other members of the squad and also changing formation and it’s not working. Playing people like Woods out of position on the right doesn’t help although i thought he didn’t deserve to be subbed. Kerry is a disappointment to me giving the ball away too many times. Thought Halifax deserved their win and the winner scored by Southwell who played for us about 3/4 years ago. Knowles and Leesley continue to dissapoint me. Knowles is not a c/forward and is better playing off someone whilst Leesley continues in his usual way of arguing with the ref and slowing movements down wanting too many touches and eventually ending up on the ground.
    We’ve always been punching above our weight in this league but we’ve started to believe we could get promoted . The management need to get back on track and go back to what we are good at. Sorting the defence is top priority! Also playing the ball backwards is becoming a lot more frequent and certain players take this easy option.
    Ozzi

Halifax at home  Empty Re: Halifax at home

Post by Ozzi Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:05 am

Think that’s quite harsh on certain comments Garage. First half we played some great stuff, where we’ve come from ‘as they ssy’. Biggest disappointment for me was Dom’s performance. I realise before anyone jumps down my throat, he’s certainly not an out and out c/f, and he was well marked by two solid c/h’s, but his general touch and hold up play just wasn’t there ‘all game’. Maybe (in hind sight, yes I know), if Beck had started, we might have had more positivity in the last 3rd, maybe. Easy looking at things later, but tbf when I saw the starting 11, it looked a great team especially on our patch. Still, we need to get it out of our system, look to Fylde on Saturday (another toughy), then the return fixture at Halifax, which we could typically go there and reverse the result of yesterday. Onwards + upwards, we are still in a fantastic position to secure a play-off place. Just think, that was unthinkable at the start of the season. Good luck lads for Saturday, and try not dwell on yesterday’s disappointment.
    Top Cat

Post by Top Cat Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:35 am

Played well 1st half and went in with the attitude we’ll get another easy 2nd half and pick up 3 points, Halifax came out 2nd half and made it into a proper derby men v boys and frankly our lot weren’t up for the fight, I resigned myself to not getting a winner as soon as beck came on as the little football we tried to play disappeared to hoofball and we didn’t get a sniff off there centre half’s, knowles was again missing he’s a player who shines when the team is doing well but vanishes when we begin to struggle, we need a strong emposing centre midfield with the mindset of Falkingham but the build of Howe, Emmett Falkingham and Kerry are fantastic footballers but get run over in physical games, and all season we’ve been crying out for a left back, Kitchen is in all honesty not good enough costs us 2 many goals being out of position, I know he’s not a natural left back but he’s had half a season to adapt to it and hasn’t and even tho he’s out of position he should still be able to remember how to defend!

If fylde watched yesterday as I’m sure they did they will know how to beat us, intimidate our centre midfield which means our defence drops deep which will leave Rowe with heaps of space to punish us.
    Crossan

Halifax at home  Empty Halifax at Home

Post by Crossan Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:16 pm

I thought we controlled most of the game first half but did not look as though we were going to score, no one was prepared to shoot on goal. Williams for me needs to be given a chance as Knowles is below par at the moment. What I was worried about at the start of the season was Gate being able to handle the physical side of this league, they have proved me wrong so far but I think the Halifax game showed what we are beginning to lack as their defenders blocked us out in the final goal areas.

We never turned up second half, agree with most of the previous comments. I think playing Beck earlier may have helped as their capt at center back had a good and easy game against us.

I have said before we are short of defenders, none on the bench, don't know if Langmead is injured, but he is the only other defender we have apart from young Toby Lees who I think is out on loan and would be a big ask of him in this league.

I never expected Town to do as well as they have done hopefully we can put together a decent run of games but tough ones coming up beginning with Fylde.
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:16 pm

At the moment we are not looking dominant in any area of the field. There has been too little connectivity and mental frailty by some, and a lack of planned moves -defenders, midfielders and strikers have all shown frailties.
    If we have a tactic, it seems to be to give the ball to Leesley and see what he can make of it.
    I'm unsure what to make of him these days. He gets through a lot of work, has the ball at his feet more often than any other player and gets a cross in much of the time, but his crossing is inconsistent - can go over the bar or over the incoming receivers as often as it can get near to the sweet spot in the penalty area.
    Our strikers have been a let down this season. Knowles can score when a pass makes it easy for him, but is makeshift and lightweight at times, although watching him closely from the north terrace yesterday second half, he did look menacing although without any reward.
    Our midfielders are lightweight and, recently, susceptible to losing the ball in the tackle. I believe we should be playing to Emmett's speed by using him as a winger for him to break and cross - his crosses from the corner have served us well in the past.
    In defence, we lose the ball down our left hand side too often and this breakdown often leads to a goal.
    Bit of a moan i know, but we have raised the bar for ourselves with most of our performances in this league and have shown, both the team and I guess, the management, that we can perform better collectively than we are currently doing !
    Wetherby Mike

Post by Wetherby Mike Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:46 pm

We haven't kept a clean sheet since October 20 but we are relying more and more on our defenders to score goals - no wonder they keep getting caught out of position. I would like to see Aaron Williams given an extended run; not sure why he seems to be permanently out of favour with the manager. I should think he must be regretting signing for Town.
    WhiteRose11

Post by WhiteRose11 Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Calmed down a bit now

Was worried when I saw the line up that we had taken this for granted and we did . We did one passing move in 90+ mins.
    Woods was awful he came across to take a corner and was obviously totally knackered and that was early in 1st half. He did not protect Fallowfield by coming back all game. Leesleys crossing was poor and he lost the ball so many times.
    2nd half only one team was going to win and it wasn't us.

We played like 11 individuals shouting at each other, wanting to do it all on their own then losing the ball, the team was lobsided so the right side of the pitch was vacant - Woods Emmett and Muldoon all wanted to be in the middle. Made it easy for them to defend as we didn't stretch them and it seemed that Management and players thought we only had to turn up!

Whilst I'm sure the players will have received a rollicking I thing Management should also look at themselves

A wasted opportunity with the other results but we go again on Saturday.

A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Wetherby Mike wrote:We haven't kept a clean sheet since October 20 but we are relying more and more on our defenders to score goals - no wonder they keep getting caught out of position. I would like to see Aaron Williams given an extended run; not sure why he seems to be permanently out of favour with the manager. I should think he must be regretting  signing for Town.  

I couldn't agree more with this. From what we hear on the radio Williams is conscientious and patient and trains enthusiastically. He has moved to live locally. This is a proven striker (33 goals last season). Simon has said there is no 'issue' but what more does he need to do to get a start? Much as I admire Knowles, it's time for a different approach up front.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Wetherby Mike wrote:We haven't kept a clean sheet since October 20 but we are relying more and more on our defenders to score goals - no wonder they keep getting caught out of position. I would like to see Aaron Williams given an extended run; not sure why he seems to be permanently out of favour with the manager. I should think he must be regretting  signing for Town.  

I couldn't agree more with this. From what we hear on the radio Williams is conscientious and patient and trains enthusiastically. He has moved to live locally. This is a proven striker (33 goals last season). Simon has said there is no 'issue' but what more does he need to do to get a start? Much as I admire Knowles, it's time for a different approach up front.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:13 pm