Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

4 posters

Midfield hard man?

Midfield hard man? Empty Midfield hard man?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Would seem that the club has made some fantastic signings (especially pleased that Sturdy has rejoined), but I just hope that we sign ourselves a midfield hard man as it's something we've lacked over the last few seasons. Someone similar to Scott Bonsall perhaps?
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Midfield hard man? Empty Re: Midfield hard man?

Post by Big Red Machine Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:24 pm

I would hazzard a guess that Curtis may fill that role - but I have been wrong before!
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Like, maybe, Curtis Woodhouse?

As the post above... Very Happy

Post by Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:33 pm

don't get me wrong, i'm not suggesting that Curtis isn't a hard man, but didn't have him down as filling the central midfield role.
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:34 pm

He is a central midfielder by definition! Although not sure if he is a holding mid or roving mid!
    TheTown
    TheTown

Post by TheTown Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Sorry town supporter but Curtis is definitely a centre midfielder! And im guessing as a boxer should be able to handle the hard man role. I know what you are trying to get at though a destructive midfielder, but think we should wait and see what the signings such as Harrison do
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:11 am

How would the squad line up with the players we have at the moment?
    TheTown
    TheTown

Post by TheTown Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:40 am

The 29-year-old midfielder will divide his time on the pitch with training and bouts in the ring something the boxing welterweight and Weaver will be working closely on.
    "Curtis will still be boxing and we'll be working with him for training and matches," continued Weaver.
    "But that won't stop him playing and we're all fully behind his boxing."

From the above statements Im abit worried about whats coming out of the club on Curtis now. I thought that because we had signed him at the start of the season he was going to have this fight on the 4th July and then focus with us for the rest of the season? Im sure he will be committed to the cause as he comes across as that sort of player, just worried he wont be in the best shape possible or may possibly miss big games if he has a fight coming up.
    CLUBTOWNFAN

Post by CLUBTOWNFAN Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Don't think anyone actually said he was gonna stop boxing. He is to do both sports with boxing prob his 1st priority and will prob miss matches, that's why he could not stay on full time with Mansfield. I think if he gives 100% for 70% of the season then we have a good signing, but boxers dont have that many fights in a year so prob wouldn't miss that many matches (unless he takes a good beating). Just my thoughts from what i have read.
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Fight wise, Curtis has had:

1 fight in 2006
    4 fights in 2007
    4 fights in 2008
    2 fights in 2009 (so far with 1 more known at present)

So going on this basis then he seems to be averaging 4 a year, so the chances of him missing many games are low. Plus if memory serves boxers have to have a minimum of time between fights!
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Big Red Machine wrote:Fight wise, Curtis has had:

1 fight in 2006
    4 fights in 2007
    4 fights in 2008
    2 fights in 2009 (so far with 1 more known at present)

So going on this basis then he seems to be averaging 4 a year, so the chances of him missing many games are low. Plus if memory serves boxers have to have a minimum of time between fights!

Also, as far as training goes surely 90 minutes running around a Football pitch would be good for his Cardio, so maybe that could be part of his Boxing training.

I really do think he can and will successfully take part in both sports and I for one will be cheering him on in the ring and on the pitch. Hopefully go see a couple of Boxing matches as well.

Onwards And Upwards lol!

Last edited by sulphurite on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed a word!)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 am