Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+3
TheNeil29
rangerider
trevdee
7 posters

Honest assessment

Honest assessment Empty Honest assessment

Post by Guest Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Decent performance, not a great deal to get overly excited about but signs are positive. Anton Brown has the potential to be a key player once he gets match fit - intelligent footballer, reads the game well and should be dangerous from set pieces. Craig pulled off a couple of great saves, mezza and killock were superb as usual. Bolder is my personal favourite and i consider it unlikely they'll be a better midfield parternship in the league than him and brown in midfield. Upfront we didn't create a great deal so difficult to judge, Hall was probably the brightest but not a great deal to go on. The trialist who came on and played on the wing showed some nice touches, but not all that bothered by the fancy stuff it doesn't produce an end result.

So overall, the signs are good, without doubt a better prospect than last season. Neil is right when he posted that another winger is needed. Upfront, Beesley doesn't look good enough despite his commitment and work ethic. Add a top striker and we could be looking at automatic promotion but from what i can tell, play offs seems more likely.

Oh and it was interesting to see Adam take a leak in the corner of the ground by the main entrance gates. Surely you could have waited Adam!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Honest assessment Empty Re: Honest assessment

Post by trevdee Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Yeah I thought Samuels was up there with Bolder and Killock today..The young lad Metcalfe impressed me.

Funny I saw Tad take a piss behind the club shop last season...like father like son eh!
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Did not go today had to take the grandkids out but what i'm reading into this is we still don't have a goalscorer who will get 25 to 30 goals a season, if this is not rectified asap we will be a mid table team believe me
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Early days yet rangerider...Hard to tell, the guys playing at the back for Barnsley were decent and strong, when Hall came on he caused them a bit of bother, give him more game time and im sure he will come good...not sure about the other new guys yet and Townfan was spot on about Beesley but we already knew that
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:18 pm

well nothing on the website  so i will ask, what was the score?, who scored? if any and what was the gate? and where are the CHIPS?

Last edited by rangerider on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:21 pm

It finished 0-0. Simon will have been pleased with what he had seen. Gate was about 350/400.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Thank you TheNeil29
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Yeah considering they were pretty neat in possession, we did edge the second half and as usual Bolder was instrumental in showing his class.......how the hell we signed him I will never know..every time he got the ball he seemed to be surrounded by a couple of Barnsley players and after a couple of neat touches found himself some space - he makes it look effortless!!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:30 pm

One huge positive was that Nowakowski didn't come one!
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Franks and Killock building a good understanding at the back - for a first run out after 5 hard training sessions, it looked superb!
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:27 pm

You all missed Woodsy, who IMO was the best player on the pitch in the first half.... also number 8 looked very sloppy and poor in possession today IMO (if it wasnt for the shot he would have done nothing but slow down counter attacks and give the ball away)

nice game but i wanted goals!!!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 am

For a 0-0 draw in that heat I thought it was a really entertaining game, draw probably a fair result. I think TS summed it up pretty well: Brown looks tremendous, hardly seemed to break into a trot yet controlled the midfield, Bolder superb as well. Back four look incredibly strong: White will have to be patient I think. Jury still out (at least this jury!) on White and Hall (although he seemed to cause them problems), Worsfold looked promising. Didn't really see enough of Nelthorpe to comment. Sam Jones was the revelation though: looked fantastic, pre-season game and they had two defenders on him! Sign him up [u]quick[u] before someone else nabs him.

All in all very encouraging, but you have toscore goals to win matches!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:48 am

I meant, of course, jury still out on Wright and Hall.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:51 am

It was a pretty typical "First Friendly of the season". I think we were slightly the better team and I'd be more worried if I were Barnsley on that showing. Having said that, 0-0 was a fair result although they did hit the bar. It was an under 21 team they sent by the way, so guys who are trying to get themselves noticed. Teyre view of it is here 0-0 which I don't entirely agree with.

Which brings me on to the striking. Can people please have a "Shoot on sight" policy. They hit the bar when one of their guys just had a speculative shot from the near edge of the area. We seemed to want to take too many touches to get it just right before hitting the damned thing!

Additionally - and in contrast to trevdee, I'd still like to move Dwayne up in to midfield and put a proper right back in behind him - ie Nowakowski. Dwayne still goes missing from the defence when he's made a run forward and I want cover. All the Barnsley threat started out on our right in my view.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:18 pm

What game was the Barnsley summariser watching, as it certainly wasn't the one I saw.

They hardly got into our half in the second half.

S.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content