Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

2 posters

What the **** has been going on?

Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

What the **** has been going on? Empty What the **** has been going on?

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:42 pm

I returned yesterday at around 5.00pm from a long vacation in Australia. Yes I know, flash b*gger to have spent Christmas day having a barbecue (ok, it was actually a cold buffet outside) and then at 4.00pm Aussie time deciding to walk to the beach and have a swim. But someone has to do it Very Happy

And I come back to cold/dark Harrogate to find a group of very p'd off people, abuse, locked threads etc.

Can't leave you lot alone for a minute can I..... Wink

So here's my 5 pennoth.

1. Regarding the pitch, will anyone tell me EXACTLY what would have happened had the improvements not been carried out? With the dip that we used to have, given the rainfall we've experienced, I suspect that we'd have been in the same situation regarding postponements. The only saving grace from the previous pitch would have been a reasonably deep pond in that corner which would probably have housed a few ducks by now. Yes it's annoying. I was looking forward to the game today, but I for one am willing to bet that we'd have had more postponements with the old set up. You tell me how the old pitch would have coped with the rainfall we've had over 2012 - it NEVER had to. It was cr*p even on a good day.

2. A statue for Bill? Ye gods. Like others on here, I've got my suspicions about certain posters. I noted that when Alan thingybob left the club Irvine put a statement out to the effect that Alan wossisname didn't feel he could work under the new regime. I reckon he wasn't the only one who'd have had his feathers ruffled by having to justify his existence by doing something. However, may I respectfully suggest that we name the 1919 club as "The New Ground" in memory of the achievements of the previous set up in that area?

3. We lost to Altrincham away. Oh dear. We'll lose other matches and as others have posted, the team selection seemed odd. But it didn't prove anything regarding the manager. Just like our victory over Brackley didn't prove that Simon is waiting to take over when Sir Alex finally decides to quit. Personally I expected to lose that one anyway. However having seen the video on the Altrincham site, I don't think it was a penalty and it certainly wasn't a red card offence. The ref got that totally wrong - as he realised later. Nowalowski's (spelling?) form in goal would indicate that we don't need a cover goalkeeper.

That's all for now. Wife needs me to get some firelighters as it's so cold here. I'm used to temperatures between 30 and 40 C not F.
    pie and chips

What the **** has been going on? Empty Re: What the **** has been going on?

Post by pie and chips Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Welcome back, and hooray for a dose of common sense. Totally agree with your assessment, no way would the ground have coped.
    I feel we have to accept the situation, the right decision made on the available info at the time. Look back at the posts saying how great it was the pitch was being up-graded - no-one forecast the the fact that we would have a paddyfield. Sorry, Mick, it's not an insult, it's where rice grows.
    Perspective, please, guys. How do we think the players, ground staff, and all others involved with the Club are feeling?
    Heads up, keep calm, and carry on! Smile

What the **** has been going on? Empty When you win you win you don't lose

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:55 pm

To returned Australian friends and others, common sense, well said
    The fact of the matter is had the club not improved the pitch the club could not progress any higher, interesting that.
    We have just had the greatest volume of rain in 100 years and the club had no input whatsoever with the spec of the new pitch.
    Covers can only go on when there have been a few days of dry weather and there is no standing water on the pitch.
    The new and improved ground facilities are fantastic, a vast improvement on what was there before
    We have better players this season, attracted by the manager and improved facilities and we have been playing some good stuff on the grass and not in the sky
    We made FA Cup history, got on ITV, BBC, ESPN and The World Service
    The manager was employed by the last chairman, not the current one and the ex chairman had an eye for a good manager.
    The current chairman has spent his own brass and is clearly behind the club to the hilt or he has more money than sense.

Just read the above and on reflection we have to ask what the Weavers have done for the club, blame the ground staff for the rain, suggest Hyde, Brackley and Torquay were part of some Malaysian betting syndicate scam and then turn the new flood lights off and go and support Melchester Rovers

Sponsored content

What the **** has been going on? Empty Re: What the **** has been going on?

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:14 am