Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

The Legoland Ground

Mr Apples

The Legoland Ground Empty The Legoland Ground

Post by Mr Apples on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:04 am

Does anyone else increasingly feel that Wetherby Road ought to be sponsored by Lego! I almost envy a place like Torquay that has been developed in a uniform fashion. The whole place looks like it was designed by an escaped lunatic from an asylum: I can't believe it had any input by a trained architect. None of it matches or fits together. While I enjoy and elevated view, which the 'ginger-bread over stand' now offers for the first time, that was at the cost of melted soles and burned elbows. Sitting down at half-time was not to be recommended. Is it unfinished, are they putting seats in, or some sort of cover on the metal? It is going to be treacherous in winter, ought to be sponsored by a firm of personal injury solicitors. And what's with the black mat at the bar end? Atrocious! Only got to the ground at kick-off and haven't been inside yet. It must be like Hitler's bunker in there?
    Townfan
    Townfan

The Legoland Ground Empty Re: The Legoland Ground

Post by Townfan on Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Just a few points in reply.
    The new stands had to be put together in a very short time scale because of ground regulations that are in place for a club to be eligible for the play-offs. They were designed by qualified architects because they have to tick so many boxes to get planning permission. Torquay were an EFL club for many years and have had many years to develop their stadium, unlike Salford (a proper mecarno set if ever you saw one) and ourselves who had a short timescale.
    Saturday was an extremely hot day and as such will hardly ever be repeated during the season.
    I find it difficult to understand that, if it was so hot because the sun was shining directly into it, you decided to stay in that stand rather than going round to the Wetherby Road side where it was obvious that there was plenty of room?
    Mr Apples

Post by Mr Apples on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Nope, that doesn't answer the point I'm making. Firstly, uniformity is an issue of ensuring that what is built marries to what already exists; that is a fundamental rule whenever you are adding to any existing structure. That takes no time; it does take taste and talent. It is also a question of selecting materials on a QS basis that are suitable for intended usage. That has clearly gone awry with the Oven Bake Stand. Saturday was not exceptional hot, it was 21 degrees at the time. Whatever the metallic composition, it propensity to heat up should be a cause for alarm. But that is not my point, I was somewhat concerned how it will fair in in rain and cold weather. It id no answer, to suggest that if we don't like it, then we can use another part of the ground. Such a response belongs in Leeds, not Harrogate; and to the Poulson era, at that. The Trumpton Stand (formerly junior terrace) on the Wetherby Road is fine - on its own, but lacks integrity to what joins it. As for the Tarmac End, its an aberration upon the word 'taste' and has utterly spoilt what I personally found charming about our fine old ground, not to mention vandalism of the 1919.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Thank you for replying. There are two points to this, yours and mine.
    Mr Apples

Post by Mr Apples on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 pm

There are many points of view, and then there are the facts.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:17 pm

Just my point, facts. Your missive is full of opinions.
    Mr Apples

Post by Mr Apples on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:58 pm

No, it is not. Fact: the Oven Bake Stand overheated, and, its present composition gives rise to concerns that it may be unsafe in winter. You have simply dismissed that concern (as Poulson dismissed the fact that the Leeds International Pool was, by virtue of not accounting for the tiles on it, centimeters short of Olymic specification). That's why it has a stupid name, and is never used for competitions. Fact: none of the stands bear any resemblance to each other, and there has been no visible attempt to integrate their appearance. Fact: the rooves to the stands are of total different height, appearance, cover and specification. Fact: the 1919 has been turned into a bunker. I mean, after 25 years, you know I love so much about you guys - but... You can always tell a Yorkshireman but you can't tell him much. That's a joke, a good one.
    Trainset

Post by Trainset on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:58 am

Odd post man does have a point.
    These are all temporary stands too, cheap to put up with the plans for full redevelopment shelved in all this seemingly. Something no one has mentioned or the club has spoken about.
    Shame as there were some nice plans there and we are left with what seems to be badly thought out structures, something ironically in keeping with modern house builders. Here today but there in a few years????

Oh and higher priced tickets to pay for it.
    Maybe Donny rovers might become available and dad can buy him a new job?
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:27 pm

I will point out yet again because you don't seem to get it.
    These stands had to be erected in a short space of time (in fact they were completed just hours before the deadline) to enable the team to play in the play-offs. If we had tried to develop the ground to the existing plans, we would not have been in the play-offs.
    The original plans have been passed and are still there to be used when we need them. The current stands are, as you have stated, temporary for a reason. There are further developments planned for next year which will further improve the ground but that's for another day.
    In short, what was done from February to March was necessary, end of.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:36 am