Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

Squad changes and prospects?

Mr Apples

Squad changes and prospects? Empty Squad changes and prospects?

Post by Mr Apples on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:39 am

Ok, for those of you who haven't deserted to the twatter and aren't on holiday, what's your views on the squad changes, and where will it get us this season? Was last term as good as it gets?
    Crossan

Squad changes and prospects? Empty Squad Changes and Prospects

Post by Crossan on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 am

Well Mr Apples, its probably difficult to say after two friendly games, Knaresboro were not exactly difficult opposition, Darlington give us a decent game, but probably about fitness and knowing what team Simon and Paul will select as we go forward.

Of the new players, George Smith at left back impressed me, hope he's not badly injured.  We struggled in the left back position last season so I think we have a definite improvement so far from what I have seen.

The centre back Connor Hall also looks a useful addition, very composed on the ball and good in the air. Will Smith who also played at centre back looked pacy and assurred.

Brendan Kiernan will give us pace on the wing and looks a very tricky player.

Difficult at this point to judge Jones and Stead the two strikers but Stead has experience and our squad has been small so hopefully these two are welcome additions.

I was disappointed with Brown, I thought coming from a league 1 team he would have offered more, but again very early to make a view, he appears to lack the fitness of other players at this stage.

Very early days and more friendlies coming up, we needed to grow the squad and this has been done.  Very difficult say what the coming season holds, most teams will have added to their squads and I would expect Notts County, Chesterfield and probably Stockport and Fylde to be among the front runners in the league.
    Ozzi

Squad changes and prospects? Empty Re: Squad changes and prospects?

Post by Ozzi on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Good assessment Crossan. But, squad need all the friendlies to get to full fitness. I agree about Brown, but early doors yet. I’m sure he’ll be a great addition. Kieran looks a great capture, think Joe had better start producing otherwise he could quite easily become a squad player.
    Mr Apples

Post by Mr Apples on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Only just got back from Italy, and will probably go Tuesday night but, have to say, the friendlies aren't inspiring, much of a tester or challenge, for what is a relatively tough start to the season. Perhaps that is deliverate - but a a risky strategy, come the Moors. We could certainly have done with the periodic friendly against a strong Leeds XI. I can understand Bradford City not wanting to subject themselves to another battering though... haha! Perhaps a rematch at Valley Parade...
    Well Ozzi, given what an accomplished striker he once was, JS's career is rather in the sunset saloon, although it was an exciting signing on paper. I suspect the dividing line between success and failure will be down to how much he wants it, and mental determination... whether he is a Crouch or a Sherringham, who still radiated class at 40 in the top flight. I don't see where he fits into a team with Beck, who is a good target man.
    Brendon Kiernon looks a steal, although I hope not at the expense of those who did so well last term.
    That was were things went awry, fitting the best into a starting X1, and sticking with it.
    Where this leaves our prospects, I haven't a clue? I am glad we have Notts County early, as I think it will take them a few games to find their feet, and the Conference will come as a shock.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Anyone know what the injury situation is with George Smith?

I think Brendon will soon become a firm fans favourite with his aggression,skill and pace.
    Crossan

Post by Crossan on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:08 am

Well another friendy game gone and I don't think we learnt much more. Very poor first half, second half was an improvement. Connor Hall and Will Smith look decent additions to the squad, not sure about Jones, perhaps we have to change our style of play to suit his game. Brendan Kiernan is a must to start games has pace and good skills.
    I don't see at the moment what Scott Brown brings to the midfield?? there will have to be a big improvement in his fitness and general contribution before I could see him getting a game ahead of Falkingham, Kerry or Emmett when fit.
    Three more friendly games to come so hopefully more time for players to get the fitness levels up and improve cohesion.
    Mr Apples

Post by Mr Apples on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am

As you say, Crossan, a woeful first half, which did not bode well for the Moors opener. I note that their pre-season is rather more testing with more fixtures, away games (we have only one), and, to date, fairly impressive results. They culminate with a home fixture against Oxford United, we conclude with Spenymoor! Some of the team need to up a gear, or the Moors will catch us cold, bully and batter our defence. Its not about changing our style to suit some bloke who has dropped down from the League to suit their style, whoever they may be. It is about them adapting and cutting the proverbial mustard.
    Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Good call Mr Apples, totally agree with what you have said.
    Crossan

Post by Crossan on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Mr Apples agree with your comments regarding our selection of friendlies, not sure why management do not arrange a couple of games against higher opposition.
    Agree about Jones did not explain myself properly there, my worry with Jones is that he goes the same way as Williams, surely Weaver looks at these players before deciding if they will fit into our system.  We never looked dangerous in front of goal last night until Brendan Kiernan came on.  Not sure what our strikers will be come the first league game although Weaver on record as saying his first choice are Beck and Muldoon.
    Midfield for me is a concern if we persist with Brown, no pace at all or any good ball skills, would be pleased to see Emmett back.
    Three games for players to prove their fitness and ability, I think I am more concerned for this season than I was last season but look how that turned out!!!!
    WhiteRose11

Post by WhiteRose11 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Far too early to judge, however it does seem a short pre season before the league starts.
    Mr Apples

Post by Mr Apples on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Pre-seasons are strangely predictive. Look at Bradford City's last term; had relegation written all over it. Ours this term looks tentative, more defensive - suggestive of less gung ho, nothing to loose mentality. That is predictive of second season wobbles at this level. Farley Celtic come Saturday - pleeeese! it should be our best starting X1 v Leeds, or just any old league team. Then, play the rest at Railway on the Monday (blow the under 21 side) , experiment at Gatehead in terms of forwards, and intended starting X1 home to the small Moors.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:57 am