Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

Aaron Williams

mh4talent

Aaron Williams Empty Aaron Williams

Post by mh4talent on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi guys, Brackley in peace!

Would love to know the story behind Aaron Williams` lack of game time. He was outstanding at NLN level last year, and seems to have hardly featured this season. Has he fallen out with Weaver, not shown enough in the limited time on the pitch, or is there some other reason/ gossip around. We`d have him back in a flash (ignoring the full time issue), and his absence is the only reason we aren`t Champions and heading up already to join you guys (assuming you don`t negotiate the playoffs, of course). Good luck with those.

Any theories?
    WhiteRose11

Aaron Williams Empty Re: Aaron Williams

Post by WhiteRose11 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Doesn't fit our style of passing football, he is excellent in the 6 yard box picking up pieces and knocking them in. But imo needs to be playing with a target man who can knock it down for him rather than through balls in the channels or crosses from wide areas.
    Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:51 pm

That’s quite a good/correct assessment Whiterose. A shame really as I think the majority of Town fans were really excited when we signed him. Things can change though, so not ruling him out yet.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:44 pm

As I have previously said, I am mystified as to why a striker who got 33 goals for a top side last season has been sidelined. There is a good reason no doubt but bringing him on for the last 5 - 10 minutes occasionally is hard to understand. If he joins another club next season (Brackley?) good luck to him. If he gets a decent run he'll probably net 20 plus times for them.

What a waste of talent...
    BB

Post by BB on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 pm

I think most of us are a bit mystified as to why, yet again, we seem to get the previous year's striker on the books... only for him to fall out of favour (not that Williams ever seems to have been given a chance).

I can't see him staying next year.. if Simon doesn't have a place for him in the current team, is he going to hang around when Simon presumably strengthens the team for next year? Unless he's happy with the situation, and isn't bothered about regular first team action.

Also, ...er.. don't get me wrong, but if Williams needs a target man to knock balls down for him.... isn't that what Beck's been doing for the last few months?
    Crossan

Post by Crossan on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:54 am

I think most people are surprised that Williams has not been given chances to play, bringing him on with 10 minutes or so has not worked for him.

We have had two strikers out with long term injuries i.e. Knowles and Thewlis and as soon as they were fit they came straight into the line up, granted Thewlis is a different type of striker with good pace, but it makes you wonder what is wrong with the Williams situation.

Simon Weaver obviously new what he was getting when he signed Williams so what has gone wrong??

I gather Williams has moved house from the Northampton area to Harrogate and his wife has a job here.

It will be interesting see if he is still here next season, I would expect not as he is not getting any where near regular football.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:10 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Don't know what that has to do with Aaron Williams Rich?

Yes he has moved to Harrogate, signed a two year contract, so we will have to see.
    Should get a game tomorrow though with most of the current team watching from the stands.
    mh4talent

Post by mh4talent on Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 pm

Sorry to intrude on private grief, you gave it a decent go eventually, but maybe somebody should remind Weaver that Williams buries penalties, and poaches inside the box. He is sharper than anything I saw up front from your lot tonight, and should have been in the squad. Sounds like he needs a new start, waste of a talent.

Not related, by the way, just saddened by your manager`s inability to give him a chance, and get the best out of him. You might have been at Solihull Saturday, AFC Fylde nothing special.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 am

With Knowles and Thewlis now gone, he might get more game time next season. Unless somebody else is brought in.
    Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am

I think this is the start of the cull in-readiness for new faces coming in. Shame for Knowles, Thewliss and Woodsy, but it is a cut throat business. Good luck lads, I’m sure all three of you will get new clubs. Proud to be Town
    Wetherby Mike

Post by Wetherby Mike on Fri May 10, 2019 11:14 pm

While I was an advocate for Williams having more game time he didn't make much impact when he did play. He was in the starting line up for the first 3 matches but didn't score any of our 5 goals; he came on as a late substitute in most of the next 10 games scoring one goal; back in the starting line up on 29 September he scored in 3 consecutive matches but was soon on the bench again; a very welcome 90+7 equaliser against Chesterfield was the best he had to offer in the rest of the season. He may be the sort of striker who is great when scoring regularly but doesn't contribute enough to satisfy the manager when the goals dry up.
    Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Sat May 11, 2019 9:31 am

That’s not a bad discription W/Mike of how Arrans season went. To me, he lacks what all good strikers have, and that’s a bit of nastiness. If he had Ainges aggression, he may well be some player. In my eyes, the Jury’s out! Proud to be Town
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:02 pm

As I understand it his departure from the club has been announced. If so, I'm disappointed but not really surprised. Here's wishing him better luck wherever he goes.
    Crossan

Post by Crossan on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Not given much of a chance in my opinion, surely Weaver knew what he was getting when he signed the player? Good luck to the lad if he has gone to pastures new. The signing of Stead gives two big lads, with Beck, who will surely not play together, so we may see another striker coming in???
    Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Don’t think we’ll be getting another striker Crossan, as Muldoon will surely partner either Becky or Stead!
    Crossan

Post by Crossan on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Ozzi, if you read the article in the Advertiser then you are right to say that Weaver has Muldoon and Beck as his first choice strikers. Williams could have stayed it was his choice to leave and try for regular football, so really that leaves us with a striker short, we have lost Knowles and Thewlis.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am

Williams has signed for Telford.
    With 7 out and 6 in I think we will be signing another striker to balance things out.
    BB

Post by BB on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:19 am

Like I/we said earlier in this thread, he wasn't going to hang around unless he fancied even less match time than he got last season.

D'you reckon he will be one of the top scorers again next year?

Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Gone down to the level where he scores goals, so he probably will.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:02 pm

He'll get 20 plus goals - just watch.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Agree, at that level.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:55 pm