Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
Surplus
HorsforthStu
CCOB
paulstreet
8 posters

Web Site needs improving

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Web Site needs improving Empty Web Site needs improving

Post by paulstreet Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:33 am

As the season wear on, you like to be able to check results, scorers, teams, subs, attendances, all in one place. So you click the results page on our 'excellent website', and find...the most recent entry 26/9/15 Town against Workington! You go to the fixtures icon, click on that and yes the fixtures are there but no scores etc. We have no results page in our programme either. Good luck to future club historians! Still no photos of Leesley etc on the first team section. Come on guys, you can do better than this.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Web Site needs improving Empty Re: Web Site needs improving

Post by paulstreet Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:44 am

Just to check I wasn't being unfair, I have quickly looked at Chorley and Stalybridge. Both have excellent results pages, all the info you need in one place. Staly's is particularly impressive. I'm no computer expert, but there surely must be templates for this kind of thing.

Oh well, gripe over. Sunny Kent here I come!
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:46 am

Don't know if theyre bombed out doing stuff Paul.

I'm hoping by the end of the season they will have a shadow website up and running and migrate everything across to it for 17/18 season as it needs re-organising to cope with all the fantastic changes at the club. We need to remember that the website is an integral part of the club and will be some peoples first point of contact with the club, especially now we are starting an online shop and e-tickets should be a consideration. This includes sponsors, fundholders, charities etc. Needs a snagging list compiling and working through systematically.
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:02 pm

I go to Chips' supporters website for my Town Stats.
    HorsforthStu

Post by HorsforthStu Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:18 pm

I'm a web dev by trade, and I must admit the site needs a big overhaul, info is hidden away in tabs, and on mobile it's not very user friendly. But it's a lot better than some I've seen. I'm always willing to lend a hand if they're short of web folk.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Care to drop Ged Maloney a line Stu with links to some of your work? If we could have something like AFC Flydes to populate? Can you get a monthly drop calender which shows all the events in one place on a website?
    HorsforthStu

Post by HorsforthStu Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:07 pm

Surplus wrote:Care to drop Ged Maloney a line Stu with links to some of your work? If we could have something like AFC Flydes to populate? Can you get a monthly drop calender which shows all the events in one place on a website?

Right, got his email addy, shall drop him an email tomorrow morning.

AFC Fylde's website is a skinned WordPress, so yeah, something like that is easy to do. And if I think I know what you mean by monthly drop calendar then yes.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:57 pm

Something like a drop down tab where the whole month so I click on Sept and whole month opens up and events can be put in next to each day so you get a calender effect and an overview of all the activities at the CNG for that month ie 1st team home games, women's games, u21's, charity stuff, SG meetings, when the 1919 is open and so on. Then click on Oct and again opens up with all activities on so it provides a central point of information for all activities, then the club can look to circulate specific events via social media. If that makes sense!
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Need someone who knows the stats.
    Apparently we lost at Curzon last season !!!
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:33 pm

Stu- just perusing FC Utd's website. How hard is it too come up with that, how long would it take and hopw much would it cost?
    HorsforthStu

Post by HorsforthStu Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:44 am

Surplus wrote:Stu- just perusing FC Utd's website. How hard is it too come up with that, how long would it take and hopw much would it cost?

Morning,

Not too difficult at all to come up with something like that, if you know what you're doing of course Wink It looks like they're using their own custom backend and content management over say... something like Wordpress. As for how long a site like that would take to put together, it depends how many were involved design and build wise, someone flying solo? A couple of months at least. And costwise they maybe paid a few thousand (but then I can't see a link to a web design agency or anything), unless it was a fan project? One thing I did notice is that it's not very mobile friendly which is not ideal when we're past the 'mobile tipping point' in terms of how sites are accessed and viewed.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:33 pm

Seemingly even the basics are too hard to get right - wonder what level you have to go to in football where you cannot see scores, goalscorers and attendances on the fixtures....seems Railway can do it this season - but hay is ok we can book tickets online and then queue up in the rain to gain entry. Basics.
    HTAFC Away Travel

Post by HTAFC Away Travel Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:21 pm

On the flip side, take a look at Alfreton's website - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No news since 9th August, no match previews or reviews and a fixture list which only has the attendances.

Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:41 am

FCUM web site still does not mention Tuesday's game.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:01 am

We do need to appreciate the positive changes that have occurred such as pre and post match interviews and YouTube highlights as well as PDC, women's football and slick branding and the online shop. Still need to continue to strive forward as gates of 1000 are achievable.
    deety

Post by deety Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:45 pm

paulstreet wrote:Staly's is particularly impressive. 

Thanks Smile

TBF, the Celtic site's been evolving over the past 15 years.

The current version was done to be platform independant when mobile/tablet connection to the internet surpassed desktop computers. It's now at about 80/20 in terms of phones and tablets accessing the internet, so we did it just in time really!

It lacks some visual appeal (and still has bugs that get ironed out as and when they're spotted) but it's main driver has always been the stats, Celtic and other clubs in the league. We also don't throw anything away! There are future enhancements to come (like a search facility for searching news/players/match reports/etc), video interviews, links to Twitter, cross season comparison, etc...etc....

The actual framework of the site is - by and large - irrelevant. As long as people can find what they need easily and in the fewest clicks. The important part is content. Content is King. Although, Alty's site has loads of content, but is terrible to navigate, so you can't find anything.

If you have uptodate, relevant content, people will come, and people will like the site, quirks and all.

For that you need several people who are willing to donate their time for doing it. Match reports, news, interviews, tweets, photos, live match reporting...etc The Celtic site has a team of volunteers behind it. Between us we try and keep it up to date and interesting. I might do the code monkey role for keeping the site up, and feature rich, but without the rest of the team, it wouldn't be half the site.

The Harrogate site isn't that bad. It's picture rich, which is okay in this world of 4G and broadband. It works on mobile and it's rarely that out of date. Maybe it's improved since this thread was started...?
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:06 pm

deety wrote:
    paulstreet wrote:Staly's is particularly impressive. 

Thanks Smile

TBF, the Celtic site's been evolving over the past 15 years.

The current version was done to be platform independant when mobile/tablet connection to the internet surpassed desktop computers. It's now at about 80/20 in terms of phones and tablets accessing the internet, so we did it just in time really!

It lacks some visual appeal (and still has bugs that get ironed out as and when they're spotted) but it's main driver has always been the stats, Celtic and other clubs in the league. We also don't throw anything away! There are future enhancements to come (like a search facility for searching news/players/match reports/etc), video interviews, links to Twitter, cross season comparison, etc...etc....

The actual framework of the site is - by and large - irrelevant. As long as people can find what they need easily and in the fewest clicks. The important part is content. Content is King. Although, Alty's site has loads of content, but is terrible to navigate, so you can't find anything.

If you have uptodate, relevant content, people will come, and people will like the site, quirks and all.

For that you need several people who are willing to donate their time for doing it. Match reports, news, interviews, tweets, photos, live match reporting...etc The Celtic site has a team of volunteers behind it. Between us we try and keep it up to date and interesting. I might do the code monkey role for keeping the site up, and feature rich, but without the rest of the team, it wouldn't be half the site.

The Harrogate site isn't that bad. It's picture rich, which is okay in this world of 4G and broadband. It works on mobile and it's rarely that out of date. Maybe it's improved since this thread was started...?

Got to say, your site is brilliant and my personal favorite in this league! I love all the stats which you produce on the site; I feel this is something which ours is lacking and just overall appearance of the site. If our site had the archive section which yours does I don't think I'd be off the site all day!!! I feel ours just lacks a lot of the content which would really interest people to come back.

Anyway great site and hope to see many of your supporters at today's game!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am