Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+9
TooManyPies
nztownfan
HTAFC Press Officer
Martin L
Superfan100
htown
rangerider
trevdee
JackHTFC
13 posters

3 In, 1 out

nztownfan
    nztownfan

3 In, 1 out - Page 2 Empty Re: 3 In, 1 out

Post by nztownfan Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Please can i suggest to anyone at the club that we have a look and Ryan Noble released from Sunderland last week... having watched acdaamy games over the past three years this whould be a excellent signing...

also if HTFC are ever looking for a talent scout i am currently avalible Wink I will find the next Dom knowles Wink
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm not surprised to see him go, but I just think he could have stayed until the end of the season. I dont believe that Chib and Beesley will produce the goods up front.

I'm not impressed with 2 of the 3 signings, Jon Maloney isnt going to add anything, Alex Metcalfe is good technically, but not good enough for this level (yet). Danny Hull, i can't comment on as I dont know much about him.

After the comings and goings, it is certainly 1 step forward, 2 steps back in my opinion. The loss of Knowles is a big blow to our playoff hopes.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 pm

nztownfan wrote:Please can i suggest to anyone at the club that we have a look and Ryan Noble released from Sunderland last week... having watched acdaamy games over the past three years this whould be a excellent signing...

also if HTFC are ever looking for a talent scout i am currently avalible Wink I will find the next Dom knowles Wink

You got my vote Very Happy
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Feel like I may have to offer my services at this rate.........I banged them in like Pele on Wednesday at 5 a side (might have to give up the fags though)!

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:34 pm

In the club's defence, I'm fairly certain Knowles wasn't interested in signing a contract for town as his intention was always to get noticed and play league football, something which is more easily achievable when you're on non contract terms - nowt wrong with that if you're banging them in for us in the meantime which Knowles did.

Regarding our latest signings, maloney could be a useful addition. The reality is though that quality players will not be available at this stage of the season.

So overall, no complaints as far as I'm concerned.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:37 pm

town supporter wrote:In the club's defence, I'm fairly certain Knowles wasn't interested in signing a contract for town as his intention was always to get noticed and play league football, something which is more easily achievable when you're on non contract terms - nowt wrong with that if you're banging them in for us in the meantime which Knowles did.

Regarding our latest signings, maloney could be a useful addition. The reality is though that quality players will not be available at this stage of the season.

So overall, no complaints as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. We have to view the Platt/Knowles period as a bonus. Woods needs to step up to the plate. Beesley, who was actually knocking them in until his injury, will hopefully be raring to go and fresh.

S,
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:28 am

Well don't forget we have Larkin also or whatever his name is..........I don't blame Knowles in the slightest, just meant I wish we had him on contract........I do hope the new signings are useful, but I think we have a good enough squad to hold their own...Even Knowles had a couple of average games here and there!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:54 am

I don't think Maloney will add anything extra to the squad in all honesty. There are always quality players available, better than the recent signings. I'm just assuming Simons book of contacts isn't that big yet. I'm disappointed at the moment. I just hope Larkin and Woods can step up to the plate and be suitable replacements.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Sad but inevitable, I hoped we might keep him for the rest of the season. Good luck to him. The 3 signings seem odd to say the least, Metcalfe is presumably one for the future, tend to agree that Jon didn't really cut it (after a great start) in that dreadful first Weaver season, but maybe he has improved. Hull is also ex-Rail isn't he?

Tend to agree that with Altrincham still winning (darn it!), we are really going to struggle for that 5th place now...but never say die.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:21 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:I don't think Maloney will add anything extra to the squad in all honesty. There are always quality players available, better than the recent signings. I'm just assuming Simons book of contacts isn't that big yet. I'm disappointed at the moment. I just hope Larkin and Woods can step up to the plate and be suitable replacements.

At this stage in the season there really isn't much available unless the club is prepared to pay silly money. Far better to wait for pre season.

Don't see the problem in adding a couple of youth players either - if the play offs is beyond us this season then this would be an ideal time for them to get some experience.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 am

But the playoffs aren't beyond us. We can still get into them, and i don't think you would have to pay silly money to get someone in, but that won't happen now. Woods and Larkin need to step up now. I just don't see what Maloney is going to bring that is going to make a difference to the current squad. The next few weeks will be interesting, that's for sure.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 am

TheNeil29 wrote:But the playoffs aren't beyond us. We can still get into them, and i don't think you would have to pay silly money to get someone in, but that won't happen now. Woods and Larkin need to step up now. I just don't see what Maloney is going to bring that is going to make a difference to the current squad. The next few weeks will be interesting, that's for sure.

There's always a few exceptions, but generally quality players at this level will be contracted for at least a season. Even if say Alty made Reeves available you'd have to pay off the remainder of his contract, and much more on top to even come close to signing him. A club with any ambition is not going to want to sell their star player though.

The point about the play offs being beyond us is just my personal view based on recent departures, I could of course be completely wrong.

Even if Simon doesn't have great contacts (generally his signings have been good and I would admit better than under Aspin) then Macca does, something he will have built up playing 700 plus games in league football.
    Superfan100

Post by Superfan100 Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:20 am

Gutted that knowles has gone but we couldn't hold on to him as he did not want to sign contract terms with us as he was using us as a platform to get back in the league where he started his career. Can't blame the lad for ambition. Woods will be the same he will want to get back into league football. On a positive note we seem as. Club to be looking to nurture a few for our talented youth with the likes of Garbutt and Metcalfe being pushed up into the first team squad. I agree if the play offs are unobtainable we should give these youngsters a 15 min run out
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Well, what about the Brothers at Guiseley who Kittrick has fallen out with? That is a prime example of quality being available. There surely would have been better players out there who could give more to the cause.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:06 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Well, what about the Brothers at Guiseley who Kittrick has fallen out with? That is a prime example of quality being available. There surely would have been better players out there who could give more to the cause.

i agree 2 junior players from a lower league and one who didn't really cut it when he was here last time is not what we should be thrilled about for the play off push but some on here might think they are good signings to replace the talent we have lost in the past two weeks

Last edited by rangerider on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:15 pm

rangerider wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:Well, what about the Brothers at Guiseley who Kittrick has fallen out with? That is a prime example of quality being available. There surely would have been better players out there who could give more to the cause.

i agree

Not sure how the club would benefit from aquiring brothers that consider themselves a cut above and fall out with teammates. The club has placed emphasis on ensuring good team spirit so no, I don't think signing the Mitchell brothers would do the club's cause any good at all.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:20 pm

Our leading scorers still hear!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:01 am

2 points:

1. TS. I was providing an example of quality signings. There is nothing to suggest that they would be the same at Harrogate, if signed. Another quality example is Ryan Noble at Sunderland. I'm sure there re are quality free agents out there, who wouldn't cost a lot in wages, would fit into weavers style of play, and are better than the 3 we have just signed.

Point 2: Our leading scorer went into full time football from harrogate, and didnt produce the goods, and he ended up coming back to Harrogate. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

The simple fact is that after the recent signings that weaver has bought in, we have a player who didnt do anything here last time, and 2 who are players of the future, not now.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:07 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's quite recent.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 am

Why not trust it to the players who have got Town to this position. I agree with TS affraid the chances of finding a superstar who will fit into a squad immediately without any opportunity to train with the lads is unlikely to happen. Other option is to inspire the players that we have to prove HAlifax, ALtrincham and Brackley that we are worthy of our place in the play offs. Chib will be an interesting player for balance of season - I had the impression down at Stortford that he was on good terms with himself at the end of the game and will prove a real handful from hereon in. Today is BIG and I hope we can be that 12th man sunny sunny
    htown

Post by htown Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 am

That list was very interesting but i must say it's sad to see so many young players just discarded by professional clubs after dedicating their life up to that point to them. A realistic signing on that list for me would be Adriano Moke. Him and his brother are real flair players and if managed correctly could cause huge huge problems at this level in my opinion. A lot on that list were out of Town's reach though. For example, Luis Boa Morte and players like that.
    htown

Post by htown Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 am

Also if anyone gets a chance have a look at that list. Is the Yeboah lad from Totenham related to the great Tony Yeboah. I'd sign both him and his dad surely Tony could still bag a few SmileSmile
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Ged. I have faith in the current players to get us to the playoffs. I just believe that Jon isn't good enough for the team, he found his level down at Railway. I'd be very surprised if he makes an impact. The other 2 players are young lads for the future, and aren't expected to make an impact.

It isnt about finding a superstar. There are players out there who could come in and contribute more to the style of playing that Simon tries to implement, make an instant impact, and that also are of a better standard than the 3 signed. It is that simple.

I'm also hoping for a good result today and a result to match. But it will be a tough fixture.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 pm

htown wrote:That list was very interesting but i must say it's sad to see so many young players just discarded by professional clubs after dedicating their life up to that point to them. A realistic signing on that list for me would be Adriano Moke. Him and his brother are real flair players and if managed correctly could cause huge huge problems at this level in my opinion. A lot on that list were out of Town's reach though. For example, Luis Boa Morte and players like that.

There are players out of our reach, but there are also players within our reach. That was my point. We could have signed better players than the 3 just signed up.

I suggest everyone have a look at that list, it bring up a few surprising names.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm

And my last comment is that see how much quality will be on this list come the end of the season when the released lists are sent out, and updated on the PFA website. Simon and Macca would do well to have a look at this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm