Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+2
Big Lundy
JackHTFC
6 posters

Town go full time!!!

JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Town go full time!!! Empty Town go full time!!!

Post by JackHTFC Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

HARROGATE Town will go full-time next season according to boss Simon Weaver as he plots a long-term strategy to move them into the football conference.

The Wetherby Roaders will join other Blue Square North clubs who have decided to make the giant leap.

Using the example of Stalybridge, who have been impressive this season, Weaver said the decision was taking and will start as of next season.

“We’re looking forward to it,” he said.

“Other clubs have tried it, like Stalybridge. We’ve looked at their model and it seems to work.”

For more on the story see tomorrow’s Harrogate Advertiser.

I guess there is a good chance this will make us a better team! I'll be buying the advertiser tommorow then!
    Big Lundy

Town go full time!!! Empty Re: Town go full time!!!

Post by Big Lundy Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Stalybridge brought in young players last season who trained full time!
    They struggled to start with so a bit of experience was added through the season which helped them improve!
    They have obviously benefited from it this season!
    If you can bring in the right quality of players & train with them full time it will definitely benefit you at this level!
    It might take a couple of season to be challenging for the title!
    A very big step up for the club this!!!!
    Shocked

stalyvegas

Post by stalyvegas Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:50 pm

Big Lundy wrote:Stalybridge brought in young players last season who trained full time!
    They struggled to start with so a bit of experience was added through the season which helped them improve!
    They have obviously benefited from it this season!
    If you can bring in the right quality of players & train with them full time it will definitely benefit you at this level!
    It might take a couple of season to be challenging for the title!
    A very big step up for the club this!!!!
    Shocked

You also need a good Manager we have that in Jim Harvey what you have is a clueless bellend waving a cheque book around.having a full time squad will be difficult to sustain on crowds of 350 our fans are only just responding and
    gates are going up.No disrespect to your Ground but it is not an attractive place where people would want to go and
    watch Football. Most of our players are young Jim Harvey is good at improving these players and turning them into a team could Weaver do the same? If he can't buy his way out of Conference north and he has tried what chance at coaching a team out of BSN like I said earlier he is clueless.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:00 am

stalyvegas wrote:
    You also need a good Manager we have that in Jim Harvey what you have is a clueless bellend waving a cheque book around.having a full time squad will be difficult to sustain on crowds of 350 our fans are only just responding and
    gates are going up.No disrespect to your Ground but it is not an attractive place where people would want to go and
    watch Football. Most of our players are young Jim Harvey is good at improving these players and turning them into a team could Weaver do the same? If he can't buy his way out of Conference north and he has tried what chance at coaching a team out of BSN like I said earlier he is clueless.

Ignoring the manager situation, there are ground improvements planned for next season which should make Wetherby Road a better place to be. At last someone has taken a realistic view of what we have and what we can achieve in the short/medium term and is working with it.

The improvements though largely need the approval of the Council as planning is involved. So the ball will be very firmly in their court. I wonder if any plans have actually been submitted yet?

I suspect that if we do go full time,there will be a fair few of the squad who won't want to stay so I expect next seasons team to be somewhat different from this one - mind you, this seasons is different from the last one anyway so we're used to that Laughing

Shame it's been reported first on the Advertiser site and not aon the Club one.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Despite the sour grapes from our Stalybridge visitor, this is exciting news for Town fans. Things did rather stagnate under Bill Fotherby, and our new owner is clearly moving things on on various fronts. Most Town fans would acknowledge that the owner/manager relationship is not ideal, but lets give Simon the chance to coach full time and see. A few questions: where will we train? wetherby Road pitch presumably couldn't take 5 days a week on it. Will John McDermott go full time as well? Will we appoint a full time coach?
    I don't think we will be expecting instant success, but its a positive step forward, and I, for one, think its great Smile
    stalyvegas

Post by stalyvegas Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:56 pm

paulstreet wrote:Despite the sour grapes from our Stalybridge visitor, this is exciting news for Town fans. Things did rather stagnate under Bill Fotherby, and our new owner is clearly moving things on on various fronts. Most Town fans would acknowledge that the owner/manager relationship is not ideal, but lets give Simon the chance to coach full time and see. A few questions: where will we train? wetherby Road pitch presumably couldn't take 5 days a week on it. Will John McDermott go full time as well? Will we appoint a full time coach?
    I don't think we will be expecting instant success, but its a positive step forward, and I, for one, think its great Smile

What sour Grapes just making some points and your right about instant success we're in our second season of full time football and the benefits on going full time are just starting to show we're in December and we've only lost one league game this season. when we went full time most of our players left the club not wanting full time football only three players remain from our part time days Connor Jennings Greg Wilkinson and Craig Hobson. So you might have to sign a new team of young hungry players instead of more established players most established players have day jobs and full time football doesn't Guarantee success.
    stalyvegas

Post by stalyvegas Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:10 pm

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
    stalyvegas wrote:

Ignoring the manager situation, there are ground improvements planned for next season which should make Wetherby Road a better place to be. At last someone has taken a realistic view of what we have and what we can achieve in the short/medium term and is working with it.

The improvements though largely need the approval of the Council as planning is involved. So the ball will be very firmly in their court. I wonder if any plans have actually been submitted yet?

I suspect that if we do go full time,there will be a fair few of the squad who won't want to stay so I expect next seasons team to be somewhat different from this one - mind you, this seasons is different from the last one anyway so we're used to that Laughing

Where at your Ground can you make improvements I didn't think there was alot of room one side of the ground you have Weatherby Road behind one Goal you have the Health Centre and Health centre Car Park opposite Weatherby Road Terrace you have I think the best part of the ground a nice looking stand and behind the other goal where the social club is you have a small Terraced area. A couple of years ago you were looking to purchase some land I thought that was because your ground was unsuitable to redevelop.
    stalyvegas

Post by stalyvegas Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:03 am

stalyvegas wrote:
    paulstreet wrote:Despite the sour grapes from our Stalybridge visitor, this is exciting news for Town fans. Things did rather stagnate under Bill Fotherby, and our new owner is clearly moving things on on various fronts. Most Town fans would acknowledge that the owner/manager relationship is not ideal, but lets give Simon the chance to coach full time and see. A few questions: where will we train? wetherby Road pitch presumably couldn't take 5 days a week on it. Will John McDermott go full time as well? Will we appoint a full time coach?

What sour Grapes we are full time just making some points and your right about instant success we're in our second season of full time football and the benefits on going full time are just starting to show we're in December and we've only lost one league game this season. when we went full time most of our players left the club not wanting full time football only three players remain from our part time days Connor Jennings Greg Wilkinson and Craig Hobson. So you might have to sign a new team of young hungry players instead of more established players most established players have day jobs and full time football doesn't Guarantee success.
    stalyvegas

Post by stalyvegas Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:06 am

stalyvegas wrote:
    Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
    stalyvegas wrote:

Where at your Ground can you make improvements I didn't think there was alot of room one side of the ground you have Wetherby Road behind one Goal you have the Health Centre and Health centre Car Park opposite Wetherby Road Terrace you have I think the best part of the ground a nice looking stand and behind the other goal where the social club is you have a small Terraced area. A couple of years ago you were looking to purchase some land I thought that was because your ground was unsuitable to redevelop.
    BB

Post by BB Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:10 am

First thing - I think it will be very good if we go full time...but, how will the numbers stack up;

The budget is staying the same. Simon says he only has a core squad of 14 players. Most of these players lack 'passion and commitment etc'. Full time players will be paid more than their part time equivalent.

So, it seems that one way or another most of the current squad will be gone by next season.

It may be good for Simon to bring in young players, who don't have a lot of experience, and who aren't bringing with them any preconceptions of management at this level.

Will this knowledge make our current squad play with any more passion for the rest of the season?..I suppose they've got to make sure other clubs are interested.

Irving is on Radio York after 2.00 today.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:33 pm

I may be wrong but I assume that our part time players are on £400 or so a week. If the plan is to have youngsters (18/19) as the core full timers, you may not need to pay them much more, hence the comment about the wage bill staying the same. Pure guess work on my part mind you.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:47 pm

stalyvegas wrote:
    Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
    stalyvegas wrote:

Where at your Ground can you make improvements I didn't think there was alot of room one side of the ground you have Weatherby Road behind one Goal you have the Health Centre and Health centre Car Park opposite Weatherby Road Terrace you have I think the best part of the ground a nice looking stand and behind the other goal where the social club is you have a small Terraced area. A couple of years ago you were looking to purchase some land I thought that was because your ground was unsuitable to redevelop.

Our new "Owners" have a more realistic view than the old ones.

A bit of money

So instead of getting a Fairytale palace in the clouds, we appear to be progressing a manageable bit at a time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm