Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

.

    Matchday Programme

    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

    Posts : 364
    Join date : 2009-06-04
    Location : Harrogate

    Matchday Programme Empty Matchday Programme

    Post by Big Red Machine on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:31 am

    Hi all,

    Following some comments on a previous thread, I am keen to get some (hopefully constructive) opinions on this season's programme. Mainly what I would like to know is:

    • Do you like it about it?

    • What don't you like about it?

    • What features do you like?

    • What features don't you like?

    • What would you like to see in it?


    Two things that I don't have any control over are a) The ammount of adverts in it, ideally Alan and I would like none but we realise that adverts pay for the programme etc so they are a vital way of income (we try and roughly keep it to about 40% of the total pages) and b) the size and paper quality - again we had hoped to go up to B5 in size for this season but alas it was not to be! So please bear these two points in mind when answering.

    Many thanks for your comments,

    Peter
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Guest on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:15 pm

    generally a really good programme, but if you're looking for ideas then here's a few suggestions:

    * Players favourite XI
    * Supporters page - opportunity to comment, etc
    * Injury update - who's out, for how long, why and when expected back?
    * A few lines from fan of opposing team - who's their most dangerous player, etc.
    * For amusement purposes how's about ratings of away teams refreshments, burgers, etc. Could be interesting, especially for all pie lovers, out there!

    That's all I can think of for now - anything else i'll let you know.
    YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

    Posts : 528
    Join date : 2009-06-18

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by YoungStato123 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:16 pm

    Ive had an idea, supporters ship in their questions for Weaver or McDermott weekly? Not saying all negative questions what i mean is just questions in general, would be good to see the feedback we get!
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

    Posts : 364
    Join date : 2009-06-04
    Location : Harrogate

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Big Red Machine on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:21 pm

    Tried that before last season, the questions I got sent, I couldn't ask!

    Keep the suggestions coming though!
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

    Posts : 364
    Join date : 2009-06-04
    Location : Harrogate

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Big Red Machine on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:27 pm

    town supporter wrote:generally a really good programme, but if you're looking for ideas then here's a few suggestions:

    * Players favourite XI - like that one, although got critisised a few seasons back for making a section like the non-league paper, I know they do that. Good idea however!
    * Supporters page - opportunity to comment, etc - tried that one, no blighter wanted to do it, trying to get people for the the supporters page was like trying to pull teeth!
    * Injury update - who's out, for how long, why and when expected back? - will look into this one, depends if Mat, the physio, would be prepared to help me!
    * A few lines from fan of opposing team - who's their most dangerous player, etc. - same as point 2 (tried last season)
    * For amusement purposes how's about ratings of away teams refreshments, burgers, etc. Could be interesting, especially for all pie lovers, out there!- would need input as very rarely can I go to away games!

    That's all I can think of for now - anything else i'll let you know.

    Keep them coming, some good stuff there!
    YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

    Posts : 528
    Join date : 2009-06-18

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by YoungStato123 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:45 pm

    Behind the Scenes Page?
    Injury Update on Players give us an iducation whats wrong?
    Cant really think of much today haha!
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

    Posts : 364
    Join date : 2009-06-04
    Location : Harrogate

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Big Red Machine on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:48 pm

    YoungStato123 wrote:Behind the Scenes Page? - Did that a couple of seasons ago! Need to wait until new stuff happens - good idea though!
    Injury Update on Players give us an iducation whats wrong? - see Town Supporter post

    Cant really think of much today haha!

    Good points there!
    avatar
    j2021

    Posts : 493
    Join date : 2009-06-04
    Age : 27
    Location : Harrogate

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by j2021 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:30 pm

    some good ideas there, dont know what else to say, i think the programe is very good tbh, possibly the best in the division from what ive seen

    Just an idea not really sure tho,
    pick a player each week ask them 3 questions and they just explain who and why for each one;

    Player you wish you could have played with.... (i.e one thats retired or passed away)

    Player you have played with.... (i.e, someone who has gone on to bigger and better things)

    and current player you'd like to play with... (i.e, sum1 whos still playing now, probably messi or ronaldo haha)

    Just a thought, it could easily fill a page, spotted this kind of thing in a few of my programmes ive got at home Wink
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Guest on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:09 am

    Big Red Machine wrote:
    town supporter wrote:generally a really good programme, but if you're looking for ideas then here's a few suggestions:

    * Players favourite XI - like that one, although got critisised a few seasons back for making a section like the non-league paper, I know they do that. Good idea however!
    * Supporters page - opportunity to comment, etc - tried that one, no blighter wanted to do it, trying to get people for the the supporters page was like trying to pull teeth!
    * Injury update - who's out, for how long, why and when expected back? - will look into this one, depends if Mat, the physio, would be prepared to help me!
    * A few lines from fan of opposing team - who's their most dangerous player, etc. - same as point 2 (tried last season)
    * For amusement purposes how's about ratings of away teams refreshments, burgers, etc. Could be interesting, especially for all pie lovers, out there!- would need input as very rarely can I go to away games!

    That's all I can think of for now - anything else i'll let you know.

    Keep them coming, some good stuff there!


    Interesting to discover you had difficulty getting someone to provide input to the supporters page. Only needs to be half a page, is it worth inviting expressions of interest with a view to working out what would be suitable to include in matchday programme, etc? Maybe work on the idea of having 2 or 3 contributors?

    Only other idea relates to the club having links with Pannal Ash, but not publicising much about it. I seem to remember the magazine four four two running a feature (not sure if it still does) about up and coming talent, which i think has taken the form of talentspotter. Anyway, the original format, asked a number of questions of future stars. What about getting some up and coming stars from pannal ash to answer similar questions, e.g. who do you play like? what are greatest stengths, weaknesses, who's your biggest inspiration, etc? I imagine there might be issues in terms of getting permission from the magazine, the club / parents, etc, but nevertheless might be worth looking into.

    Right, that's me done, someone elses turn!
    avatar
    pie and chips

    Posts : 169
    Join date : 2009-06-17

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by pie and chips on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:36 am

    The programme is a good read, I know how hard it is to produce something as good as it is, when you've got deadlines looming..........especially with a few home games coming up week after week!
    I'll chip in with a few lines as a supporter - just don't expect me to up to the standard of others! Slicker, stick your oar in! Smile
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

    Posts : 364
    Join date : 2009-06-04
    Location : Harrogate

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Big Red Machine on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 pm

    Whilst in essence, a supporter section is a good idea , I tried a generic version two or three seasons ago and in the end if memory serves I ended up having to ditch it two-thirds into the season as no one emailed me details etc.

    I also have to be careful what I put in, as the programme is an official arm of the club it can't be anything negative about the club i.e. recent posts such as Weaver Out, players this, that and the other, or lack of information via the club couldn't be replicated in the programme (if you see what I am trying to say - putting it poorly I realise!) so it would have to be positive which may not be the "true" view of the fans.

    The other thing that I often get accused of (especially be certain members of both forums - which is fine as everyone has there own opinion) is that the programme is following the official club line - well, easily put - it has to! It has to comply with certain issues both football conference and club legislation, so ....

    I suppose if I could see well in advance what you wanted to write about then I could make a decision!

    Love the suggestions however, keep em coming!


    Last edited by Big Red Machine on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling naff)
    avatar
    pie and chips

    Posts : 169
    Join date : 2009-06-17

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by pie and chips on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:45 pm

    I've no problem with those constraints, I was thinking of the fan's view on things such as the quality of pies, the state of the pitch, (good), the ugliness of our opponents, the beauty of our team, the ambience of the stand!
    Let's have some fun!
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Guest on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:00 pm

    Humour is always welcome however it can be difficult to avoid poking fun in an irreverent way without someone somewhere taking offence.

    A funny review of an way trip or two by a fan, a bit like a diary of a non league supporter with plenty of amusing observational stuff could be an entertaining read every now and again.

    When you look around and listen, there is always stuff to make you giggle at non league games as well as keep a psychiatrist busy.

    I suppose you end up with a sort of fanzine page in the official programme. Things like the top five most innappropriate tunes to walk out to over the PA system could get a laugh and a bit of input with nominations.

    I always remember being told(so it must be true) about Nasser Hussain when limited overs cricket was jazzed up with music and pyjamas. He was asked like all players what motivational tune he wanted to have played when he walked out to the crease to bat. He decided that Frankie Goes To Hollywood playing Two Tribes would be suitably inspirational.

    Anyway, the big moment came when a wicket fell, Nasser started his musical march from the pavillion to a packed and expectant crowd. The immortal first lines belted out over the monster PA system.

    "When two tribes go to war, one is all that you can score"

    I"ll let you work out what happened next.

    S.

    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Guest on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:08 pm

    Ok, here is one to get you started on the "music to march out to" topic ;

    "Heaven knows I'm miserable now" by The Smiths.

    Over to you guys.

    S.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Guest on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:10 pm

    Big Red Machine wrote:Whilst in essence, a supporter section is a good idea , I tried a generic version two or three seasons ago and in the end if memory serves I ended up having to ditch it two-thirds into the season as no one emailed me details etc.

    I also have to be careful what I put in, as the programme is an official arm of the club it can't be anything negative about the club i.e. recent posts such as Weaver Out, players this, that and the other, or lack of information via the club couldn't be replicated in the programme (if you see what I am trying to say - putting it poorly I realise!) so it would have to be positive which may not be the "true" view of the fans.

    The other thing that I often get accused of (especially be certain members of both forums - which is fine as everyone has there own opinion) is that the programme is following the official club line - well, easily put - it has to! It has to comply with certain issues both football conference and club legislation, so ....

    I suppose if I could see well in advance what you wanted to write about then I could make a decision!

    Love the suggestions however, keep em coming!

    Thanks for your explanation BRM, i understand entirely the need for the programme to comply with certain rules, etc.

    A review of opposing teams refreshments, burgers, pies, etc would be amusing though and I'd be surprised if any great number of people took offence (although in this day and age I couldn't be sure!) Actually, a number of clubs take the issue of refreshments quite seriously - wasn't delia smith involved in improving the quality of food etc that her beloved Norwich City provide?

    This could form part of the supporters' page, including publicising arrangements for supporters' man of the match, opportunities for car sharing to away games, etc. It would have nothing to do with supporters' views on the manager, how the club is performing, etc - that can be done on here or after the game in the bar.

    All that said, I agree that it's a non-starter if other supporters aren't prepared to contribute.

    Cheers
    avatar
    Ball and Socket

    Posts : 280
    Join date : 2010-10-11

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Ball and Socket on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:27 pm

    Hello Town Supporter . Get some work done you slacker. Did you not see my post re a beer? About contributions to the programme would it be a good idea to write about the players and the jobs/professions they are gainfully employed in outside their football? What do you think.

    Sponsored content

    Matchday Programme Empty Re: Matchday Programme

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 am