Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

Wrexham in town.

RubyRed

Wrexham in town.

Post by RubyRed on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi guys. Wrexham fan in peace. Looking at making the trip up next Tuesday for what promises to be a belter. Top spot and all that. Can you recommend some decent real ale pubs not too far from the ground?

Big Lundy

Re: Wrexham in town.

Post by Big Lundy on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:01 pm

“The Harrogate Tap” @ the railway station might be worth a look at!
    About a 20 minute walk from there to the ground!

CCOB

Post by CCOB on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Some great beers at this place. Directions at bottom of home page.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    RubyRed

Post by RubyRed on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks guys. Hoping to get back on track after yesterday’s defeat at Sutton. Expecting to bring around 4-500 up for the game.

Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:52 pm

At least Wrexham fans won’t need to travel like this for a league game this season!!!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Laughing

Sulphurite86

Post by Sulphurite86 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:38 pm

10 Devonshire Place and the Swan are two pubs I would recommend for our Welsh visitors. Both have a great selection of beers and are conveniently close to Wetherby Road.

Wrexham

Post by Wrexham on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Wrexham fan here. Where's good to park? Seems limited. Be there early about 6/6'30

GARAGE

Post by GARAGE on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:27 am

Kingswood surgery 200 metres up from North gate-this is pay and limited-
    Local streets over the road from ground

GARAGE

Post by GARAGE on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Thought it was decent game with plenty of incidents.  I’m happy with the point because the game could have gone either way.  We really are starting to struggle to score against the top teams.  Falkingham is finding it hard to dictate the midfield which we are not used to. Both fullbacks need to improve their passing apart from backwards. It’s noticeable how faster the game is against these top teams and the speed at which they counter attack. Leesley still wants too much time on the ball but he did manage a shot at goal tonight which is an improvement. Saturdays game is not easy at Boreham Wood but Jack might be ready to play so we are nearing full strength.

WhiteRose11

Post by WhiteRose11 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:21 pm

First half hour we played really well using width, once they held out under that pressure we reverted to a long ball game which their centre half Pearson loved and won everything. Wrexham have concede the least goals of anyone and I think that is because they like the long ball at their centre halves and we fell into doing just that - similar to L Orient.

I think Kerry and Falks are too similar which is why the play stopped and went backwards rather than breaking through their lines - hopefully the return of Jack will rectify this. Agree with comment re Leesley thought he struggled particularly in 2nd half and surprised he didn't come off as were those around me.

RayW

Post by RayW on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:53 pm

I thought we were lucky to escape with a draw . Wrexham came really close to scoring about three times . I am surprised Simon Weaver left it to the 75th minute freshen things up . Williams did well in his rationed 15 minutes.
    Most of Towns attack seemed to be Howe hoofing it to Knowles who just like Beck on Saturday could not win any balls . Agree Kerry and Falks are too similar in midfield .
    Our goal keeper got us a point last night and I fear we will not see top of this league again this season .
    If you prefer an upbeat view go to Thirwells post match video on YouTube; would you buy a used car off him ?
    Looking forward to Jacks return and some change from route one hooofing .

WhiteRose11

Post by WhiteRose11 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:59 pm

We could easily have been 2 up in the opening half hour the deliveries from out wide was causing all kinds of issues and should have been put away but weren't and then that led to the long ball - why I don't know which suited their style of football.
    I think on chances a fair result.
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:19 pm

RayW wrote:I thought we were lucky to escape with a draw . Wrexham came really close to scoring about three times . I am surprised Simon Weaver left it to the 75th minute freshen things up . Williams did well in his rationed 15 minutes.
    Most of Towns attack seemed to be Howe hoofing it to Knowles who just like Beck on Saturday could not win any balls . Agree Kerry and Falks are too similar in midfield .
    Our goal keeper got us a point last night and I fear we will not see top of this league again this season .
    If you prefer an upbeat view go to Thirwells post match video on YouTube; would you buy a used car off him ?
    Looking forward to Jacks return and some change from route one hooofing .
    At the start of the season we all were talking about staying up. Now, after a quarter of the campaign, we are bemoaning not being top of the league again!!! Strange game football.

Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:15 pm

All Town fans are currently living the dream!!!
    It’s just that some fans dreams are different to others!
    Laughing

RayW

Post by RayW on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 am

Townfan

Harrogate have done better than my wildest dreams ; it’s been a fantastic start to the season . It’s just that Orient and Wrexham have looked better in the last two home games and the quality of Towns football has dropped significantly - I don’t like this hoofing the ball route one style and a lot of Town fans were mentioning this at the Wrexham game .
    These footy forums need a few excessive comments anyway as they would be so boring if we all had the same loyal criticism free approach .

Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:30 am

Agree with you on this one WhiteRose. That first 15/20minutes we really took it to them. We played more football in those minutes than the whole of the 90 v Orient. Must mention Joe here, he looked muck quicker, hungrier than I’ve seen him in a long time. Fair enough (before anyone says it) he may of faded as the game went on, but he did a lot of chasing back and helped the midfield/defence far more than he’s ever done. Well done Joe, when 100% fit, you’ll be a great asset once more to our great team. Was a shame we reverted to the long ball later as it really doesn’t suit us, and as someone rightly said, there captain and his partner (c/halves) just lapped it up, just as the Orient c/halves did. So, 3rd and still only lost once. Keep going lads, you are doing amazing, the whole Town are right behind you as you seen with the support you are getting. Good luck for Saturday, and let’s see some numbers down at Boreham.

GARAGE

Post by GARAGE on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:32 am

RayW wrote:Townfan

Harrogate have done better than my wildest dreams ; it’s been a fantastic start to the season . It’s just that Orient and Wrexham have looked better in the last two home games and the quality of Towns football has dropped significantly - I don’t like this hoofing the ball route one style and a lot of Town fans were mentioning this at the Wrexham game .
    These footy forums need a few excessive comments anyway as they would be so boring if we all had the same loyal criticism free approach .

Fully agree

fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:41 pm

I think our back 4 are forced to hoof the ball upfield to relieve the pressure the better teams put them under as shown on an occasion when Burrell tried to play football out of defence and was forced into error. Also we do not possess the 'star factor' forward class to score goals against these better teams.
    Now we have those 2 tricky games out of the way, i believe we can win our next 3 against mid-table and bottom clubs by reverting to play the football style which took us to the top.
    I agree that we are indebted to Belly for the point we got against Wrexham - but no great surprise about that as it's been his exceptional performances all season so far which have put us where we are in the table.
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:44 pm

RayW wrote:Townfan

Everybody knows Orient, Wrexham and Salford are the best teams in the league. I'm not surprised or disappointed with the last two games, we move on to another tough game at Boreham Wood.
    That's my loyal criticism free approach to our start of the season which, as you stated, is beyond my wildest dreams as well, but I am a realist and will be delighted if we finish in the top 10.

Wetherby Mike

Post by Wetherby Mike on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Make the most of it! As I told my young granddaughter you could support Town for the next 60 years and it is quite possible it will never be as good as it has been last season and this one. Fans of my southern club, Tooting and Mitcham, still sing "we were robbed in '59" in remembrance of their greatest day (I was there) when they led Nottingham Forest 2-0 before being pulled back by the flukiest of own goals and the dodgiest of penalties. Forest went on to win the FA Cup at Wembley 2-1 against Luton

Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Fulhamphoenix you mention our back four were hoofing the ball out due to Wrexham pressure. That's exactly what they were doing in the 1st 20mins or so, when they could get anywhere near it that is. Harrogate started brilliantly, and "if" we could of capitalised and got that all important goal, im sure we would of gone on and got the x3 points. Keep going lads, x3points at B/Wood, will put us back in the frame. COYT

Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Fulhamphoenix you mention our back four were hoofing the ball out due to Wrexham pressure. That's exactly what they were doing in the 1st 20mins or so, when they could get anywhere near it that is. Harrogate started brilliantly, and "if" we could of capitalised and got that all important goal, im sure we would of gone on and got the x3 points. Keep going lads, x3points at B/Wood, will put us back in the frame. COYT

Top Cat

Post by Top Cat on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Just a couple of issues I wonder if anyone on here could clear up, on Saturday under non segregation there was a security gate into the top end that worked on a 1 in 1 out when full, I asked the steward on the gate and he said the cut off point was 550, we also hung our flags in the normal place and were told to remove them and if we wanted to hang them up we were to do it at the back of the stand, and all season the stewards have jumped on anyone who was t behind the yellow railings.
    Cue Tuesday night Wrexham segregated in the top end with exactly the same area as was designated on Saturday, they have 717! In that end 167 more than Saturdays cut off point, they had flags all along the front rail and there fans leaning over said rail where were jumped upon for standing there.

Anyone know why its 1 rule for us and another for visiting fans?

Trainset

Post by Trainset on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:48 am

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Trainset on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:50 am

Bit of a strange one Trainset??????

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content