Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

On the horns of a dilemma.....

duklapragueawaykit

On the horns of a dilemma.....

Post by duklapragueawaykit on Sun May 27, 2018 7:07 am

Hi, these are just a few thoughts after the dust has settled on Towns promotion, how successful do I want my team to be...?
    Do I follow Town because they are a non-league team, where I can turn up 10 minutes before kick off have a few beers and walk around chatting to folk as I please,this is why I started following Town, what I'm trying to say is no need to plan a visit just pop down on match day simple..........
    If I want everything that goes with league football, I go watch Leeds united........
    If we win and play well that is great, but if we lose hey there is always next week. Always liked the idea I can jump into the car drive to Pontefract or Ecclesfield not down to London or into Wales........
    Maybe I'm stuck in the eighties when football was football for me, people say life is a journey perhaps I should have got off a few stops earlier on Towns bandwagon or am I just a bit of a killjoy?....
    Just saying like...............................

Ozzi

Re: On the horns of a dilemma.....

Post by Ozzi on Sun May 27, 2018 11:51 am

KILLJOY............go watch Sunday morning football, no rush to get parked there, and straight after the game call for a beer with your mates in the local. How can you not want Town to move on, seriously don’t need pessimists like you turning up. See you later, period.

A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter on Sun May 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Maybe suits you better to 'jump in the car' and drive to Prague?
    duklapragueawaykit

Post by duklapragueawaykit on Mon May 28, 2018 7:08 am

Yeah, you are probably both right, no point in hanging about somewhere you are not welcome....
    Might go and seek out the Dark Knight...........

Trainset

Post by Trainset on Mon May 28, 2018 8:11 am

Don't worry Dukla there are more than a few like you.

Judging by the responses many town fans are a little naive in their outlook on the club. Those that aren't follow your thoughts - was shocked at how nannying the club has got.
    Was only my second game of the season at home for town as live in Dorset but found the final match although enjoyable just totally at odds with non league and what my Town used to be.

Crap atmosphere, heard better with 450 in the ground for starters but seeing a brackley fan whose son played for them being told he can't walk back into the ground after having a cig through already open gates to console his son was barmy. So too not letting fans back in the kop having had a wee.

All very Plant. My thoughts were at this point the club was resembling its pitch.

All built on sand when weaver goes judging by the £ losses read about on facebook. Most like the above go through life not questioning anything and many of the newer fans will not give two shits if the club is around following the departure of the father and son duo. These types love the success bandwagon more than the reason and joy of non league and the joy that you mention above.

Being away from my hometown have had the pleasure of watching a fair few non league clubs down this way. From level 7 clubs through to Poole Town but the club that has annoyingly, given the distance, shown the most non league spirit, atmosphere and great fans is Banbury United. Fan owned and teams from U7 all the way up. No trumped up so and so's thinking they are amazing for spending a load of debt money. No self patting of backs on Facebook for doing what any normal club does at their level. The fans are at the heart of the club, not in second class seats behind the millionaire carriage, all being told what they can and can't do like children at a club that was around long before weavers but possibly not after.

Town buying their way to promotion after 10 years doesn't really float my boat either not when the club has been taken over by rules and silent bandwagon jumpers.

Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Mon May 28, 2018 11:57 am

See you later Trainset????

Overthehill

Post by Overthehill on Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 pm

I don't usually post stuff on here and I suppose I shouldn't react to other people's opinions. However, if getting promoted to the top division of non league football by playing fast attractive stuff, scoring 100 goals, having players in the team of the year, seeing the best footballers the club has ever had collectively, growing support, hardworking backroom staff, families coming to games, PDC growing, community links expanding, players in touch with fans and not remote, and the club being recognised amongst it's peers...if none of this floats your boat, then you have to make a choice. If you prefer a club that stands still, has no ambition other than to survive, then good luck. No atmosphere at the final? Really? I must have been at a different ground.

Ozzi

Post by Ozzi on Mon May 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Now that is a real fan. Brilliant assumption Overtherhill. All pessimists take note. Onwards and upwards the Town. :-)

Trainset

Post by Trainset on Mon May 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Ozzi wrote:Now that is a real fan. Brilliant assumption Overtherhill. All pessimists take note. Onwards and upwards the Town. :-)

One that ignores the massive amount of debt spent achieving such a feat after 10 years?

Muppet.

How much £ did Town lose last year?

Last edited by Trainset on Mon May 28, 2018 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Trainset

Post by Trainset on Mon May 28, 2018 2:50 pm

I don't usually post on here either but the arrogance shown by you and that other twonk towards someone who has been on this board looooooooooong before you says it all.

Quiet church mice in your final and i wasn't imagining it  - people on FB page saying that. Fans without knowledge or experience of non league. Good luck with it whilst the club goes under when the chairman and son duo leave. If any Town fan honestly thinks a multi millionaire property developer will walk away from quite a few million of debt they are more naïve than i thought.

Good luck to it.

Oh and btw you are all deluded - you know a lot of teams far below Town's level do PDC (and cheaper too), community involvement without PR-ing it and treat their fans a damn sight better. Shows how new a lot of you lot are to football. wet behind the ears and not caring about what Non league football is. When Town fold as the debt gets called in - can i blame you lot for seeing my hometown team go out of existance? Too busy bending over.

Dolf87

Post by Dolf87 on Mon May 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Judging by the negative comments on here, you would think that people had never heard of a club been invested in - Having success. Like every club invested in comes to a shitty, investors pull out and run end?
    How many millions of debt is the club in? Or yea, of course. You don't have a clue. Your just presuming.
    People on Facebook saying the atmosphere was crap?? What utter bollocks!!
    The reason why the attendance has tripled since 5 years ago is because of the atmosphere. People use to clap - no cheering or singing. That's how **** the atmosphere use to be.

CCOB

Post by CCOB on Mon May 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Been following Town for close on 20 years and oh how i would love to go back to the days when the club thought it necessary to play a recording of a crowd cheering when we scored a goal to improve the atmosphere and back to the days when i would be one of 3 or 4 fans stood behind the goal at an away game. The atmosphere at Town matches home and away the last 3 years or so has been fantastic. If it goes back to how it was then fine, i'll still go but i'd rather it stayed how it is now thank-you.

duklapragueawaykit

Post by duklapragueawaykit on Mon May 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi again, it is good to have a healthy debate, life is about opinions, mine is just that my journey with Town has come to an end, no big deal....
    Good luck to you all who choose to sail away into league football, I'll be watching Christchurch Old Boys playing the Belford ooohhh what a fixture..........
    just sayin.......

Trainset

Post by Trainset on Mon May 28, 2018 8:34 pm

So more noise than a few years ago with 500 in there? Bs. And it was on fb clear as day about Brackley. The alarming level of debt is worth it yeah?

So with the debt that many of you don't think Town have any, seriously think 500k here, 400 there, another 200 every year..will just be forgotten? Honest question. Has anyone looked......?

Didn't think so.

I did this morning. Maybe you all should. But don't let that trivial fact get in the way of your ignorance to the many years of fun and games before they finally got it right.

Too right CCOB but the worry is that all of this has come off the back of considerable over spend. At this level it just isn't what football is about unless you count clubs like Salford, Billericay and many that trod those steps and lost their existence when the final tab needs picking up.

Maybe I have seen too many other clubs now who are run more like non league clubs and financially so.

Back to the original point, people are forgetting a number of core fans there for years who have been put off by various interesting events in the build up to tenth time lucky. Looks like another one in Duckla.

Enjoy the trips and new challenges. Hopefully in ten year time it will have been worth it.

Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy on Tue May 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Harrogate Mr Men on here again?
    Wink
    Don't worry, Martin Gray will get you back where you belong!!!!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Laughing

BornOnShorehamStreet

Post by BornOnShorehamStreet on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:21 pm

It seems you have lost a Leeds fan.

Never mind, you've gained a Blade!

Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 am