Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
Surplus
boselecta
Blinker
Big Lundy
fulhamphoenix
GARAGE
sulphurite
11 posters

Incredibly quiet on here?

sulphurite
    sulphurite

Incredibly quiet on here? Empty Incredibly quiet on here?

Post by sulphurite Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:53 am

Thoughts on the Tamworth game anyone?

Don't get to games now, so appreciate comments on here?
    fulhamphoenix

Incredibly quiet on here? Empty Re: Incredibly quiet on here?

Post by fulhamphoenix Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:15 am

This is just 'heresay' (I did not go to the match), but someone who went told me that 2 goalkeeping errors cost us the match.
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:10 am

Crook had a good game apart from giving penalty away and getting the blame for the 3rd. If there is any blame to be aimed at anyone it could be Ainge for missing several chances and the management for persisting with big boot tactics when playing on a good surface.
    I think it's time to say goodbye to Pittman who is so out of sorts and give Day the shirt for the rest of the season and see if he progresses. He looked better yesterday than he has done and now we can finally say goodbye to the playoffs he deserves his chance. Thought Ellis was MOM. Agnew ran his socks off but it was not his day. Even Parker had one of his slightly better days.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:18 am

So Crook, the non-injured lightweight a few weeks ago and now the guy to blame for us not winning.

Really does have a knack of keeping our best players motivated doesn't he. At this level Crook is right up there, yet all I can see is the club yet again falling out with a very good player. A player looked at by League clubs, a player we need to need next season when we are 'professional'.

Just as with JP - yet another player fall out and it is showing on the pitch. A guy let’s not forget, when some folk rush in to slate him, who had committed wholly to the drop down a division in moving his family across and rolling his sleeves up and getting involved on the coaching side. Just cannot keep the types of players we need to progress.

Especially when we are hampered by a manager who is plainly not cut out for the job. Or are we meant to pretend otherwise by the club and be made to think the whole set up at Town is perfectly normal and definitely not a plaything for finding out whether your son can manage a football team. Maybe that will be a rule next season for the SS to impose at home matches.

Have seen a playoff squad lose one key player, who we totally over relied on last season to be fair given we never answered the forward issue, to our play off detriment. Yet we have signed two players for transfer fees, the likes of JP - a goalscoring first team, national league promotion winner - and some other decent players and we are now mid table. We get a state of the art - expensively installed and maintained pitch, all day training Monday, video analysis, more coaches - yet the club goes backwards.

Players obviously to blame again tho..........

Can't wait for the 8th season of this. So excited.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Although our defending as a whole hasn’t been good enough this season & Crook has been left exposed at times, unfortunately his mistakes have cost us a lot of points during vital times of the game this season!
    1min 40 sec in!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    And there can be no hiding away from that fact unfortunately!
    Crying or Very sad
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:22 pm

The elephant in the room, as carefree says, is, sadly, the manager. After 7 years why should it change? There are plainly man management issues (not just this season), the JP situation, whatever it is, being only the latest example. In my view Crook, despite his many great saves, does now make too many mistakes. I suppose going full time will add some excitement next season, but why should anything change? If Simon hasn't done it in 7,seasons why should 8 be any different? Oh well, I'll be there again, as usual!
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Yep Simon has a decision to make!
    Goalkeepers get to see the whole pitch from their position & what’s happening in front of them so need to be commanding in their area & b*#~ng his defenders BIG TIME when they leave him in the s#8t!!!
    Have we seen that enough this season?

Last edited by Big Lundy on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:02 pm

GARAGE wrote:Crook had a good game apart from giving penalty away and getting the blame for the 3rd. If there is any blame to be aimed at anyone it could be Ainge for missing several chances and the management for persisting with big boot tactics when playing on a good surface.
    I think it's time to say goodbye to Pittman who is so out of sorts and give Day the shirt for the rest of the season and see if he progresses. He looked better yesterday than he has done and now we can finally say goodbye to the playoffs he deserves his chance. Thought Ellis was MOM. Agnew ran his socks off but it was not his day. Even Parker had one of his slightly better days.

Yes, to be more even handed about any 'blame'.... I should have said that my contact did report that Ainge and Leesley missed easy chances and not so easy chances were also missed by Colbeck, Emmett and Day.
    Not so quiet on here now. And that's without a single 'Surplus' post !
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Crook likely to be out of contract @ the end of the season so it will be interesting to see what occurs for next season!
    Blinker

Post by Blinker Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:37 pm

As the thread says, iit has been incredibly quiet on here lately. Speaking personally, I needed to get passed the sense of disappointment at not reaching the playoffs so that any rant may be dissipated before posting. Yesterday wasn't to be, with individual errors and others misfiring. My thoughts then turned to reasons why we gave ended up in mid table mediocrity, when alll the signs were that we would push on from last season for real success. I'm sure there are many and varied, but my belief is that when a manager takes over at a club they gave to prioritise their main raison d'etre: developing and building a club or winning trophies. Obviously both overlap and affect each other, and at first sight, knowing that our manager is the owner's son, we might have thought that he would wish to build a legacy, but in fact he clearly decided that winning is all. As such, we have seen a conveyor belt of players come and go for a plethora of different reasons, or sometimes for no apparent reason, leaving the club with a fluctuating and fragile base.
    So, next season we will welcome the next influx of players, with fresh hope and confidence. Let's hope we get the right individuals, the right mix, the right amount of talent, the right temperament etc, etc, etc. But, let's hope we win something, because the manager has missed the boat to build a club with strong roots after several years of poor man management, or just inability, and must content himself with buying off the peg, short termism season on season which leaves fans unsure about levels of expectations and we become disillusioned and discontented when they do not match our own. True, we will continue to support our club, but 'what could've beens' will always sadden me a little.
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Some very interesting posts..Crook on his day is the real deal... yet time after time go's into total melt down.
    Plus's big strong,good at cross's,great shot stopper as saved quite a few pens as well.
    Negatives not vocal enough,kicking usually straight out of play,just when to come out of his area..
    What did Elliott do wrong to get dropped?
    Really thought we would kick on this season,yes injuries have taken there toll no doubt about it but IMO not starting Ellis in the first 12 games leaving him on the bench as well was crazy.Yes ,Ainge and Shiels are very good CB's but Ellis is pure class.Always gives 100%,great leader and without him we always seem to struggle...
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Two good posts there! I think blinker is spot on. Isn't there also (maybe unconsciously) some inevitable complacency with Simon? He knows (unlike every other manager), that he will never be sacked, so for him, there is always next season. I don't doubt he cares passionately but he has a job for life therefore the real tension is not (cannot) be there. That is why I think we will never fully progress under Simon, despite his best endeavors. I don't really blame Irving or Simon (family is family after all), but it's a.messy situation we find ourselves in. Any solutions out there?
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Well, Irving has sunk a lot of money into Town over the last few seasons (stands and pitch); but those are more or less done jobs now so if he is happy to keep a similar annual Investment running next season, then maybe it's the right time for him to invest his money in better players to coincide with going full time. Money buys better players eg money took Brendan Daniels over to Fylde (not that we'd want him back necessarily!) and similarly money kept Danny Rowe at Fylde when football league clubs wanted him (so they say).
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:59 pm

The National League North is a different beast to what it was back in the 2004/05 season!!
    Just ask Altrincham FC

Every club who wants promotion out of it who do not qualify for the play-offs this season will be praying both AFC Fylde & Salford City get promoted!!!
    Because to compete with them again next season will cost them miles more £££££££

Attracting quality full-time players to play in a regional league could prove a bit of a challenge unless you are paying out more than they are currently getting!!!

Each pre-season there have been improvements made to the clubs facilities & I think more are lined up during the summer!
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Nothing to add. Disappointing season all round.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Agreed. This about sums it up. But as paulstreet said earlier we'll keep coming back for more next term, optimism undaunted. 'We all love Town'.
    Wetherby Mike

Post by Wetherby Mike Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:05 am

Still a bit to play for this season, if only to avoid finishing in the bottom half! Winning against Salford and Halifax would help us to look forward to next season with a bit more optimism. Southport and North Ferriby seem most likely to come down and York are still in the drop zone. Guiseley look just about safe though they were absolute rubbish when I saw them lose 5-0 to Dover a couple of weeks ago. If Blyth Spartans are promoted it will take the league even further north - a far cry from when Bishop Stortford in Hertfordshire were a northern club.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:19 pm

well it has been a few weeks since i came on here and even a game for the first time in god knows how many years....i got over the disappointing season weeks ago and the thing is I enjoyed it so much more a few years ago even though we either struggled in the league or knew we would finish mid-table and the reason is because as a fan I felt like I belonged at the club.

This season in particular (and it has been steadily growing over the past few seasons) we have heard more bullcrap than ever from the manager, from Plant and the rest, mixed with how the average fan is treat, it just isn't an enjoyable experience. I think this bollox that we experience must be the same reason that Simon and the crew can't keep the players motivated......I think they treat players and fans alike like little pawns, who knows what goes through their minds. To make it worse, when fans express their opinion they come out with a counter excuse to justify things so they have no intention of keeping fans loyal. It is just so plastic!!
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Blyth will be promoted, no real doubt about that. All things being well (and with games in hand at the moment) Spennymoor could join them next season - they certainly deserve to.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:40 pm

I think trevdee is on the money really. I will keep going come what may. I love Town as A1 drifter says. I think I liked the Bill and Reedy period best. We were winning, but it was still real non- league. You know, a bit ramshackle and a bit rubbish at times, but it felt 'real', authentic. I wouldn't mind the corporate culture stuff if we were actually making progress, but we ain't. Oh well, roll on Saturday. I'm hooked for life!!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:55 pm

That's the thing, the majority are hooked and see it as part of our everyday life, getting our hopes up and dashed, it is part of football. But something has really felt different this season and it is weird...My whole week used to be a big build up for footy on a Saturday but right from day one for the first time ever I just haven't been able to get even slightly excited. Who knows, maybe it will return!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:23 pm

trevdee wrote:well it has been a few weeks since i came on here and even a game for the first time in god knows how many years....i got over the disappointing season weeks ago and the thing is I enjoyed it so much more a few years ago even though we either struggled in the league or knew we would finish mid-table and the reason is because as a fan I felt like I belonged at the club.

This season in particular (and it has been steadily growing over the past few seasons) we have heard more bullcrap than ever from the manager, from Plant and the rest, mixed with how the average fan is treat, it just isn't an enjoyable experience. I think this bollox that we experience must be the same reason that Simon and the crew can't keep the players motivated......I think they treat players and fans alike like little pawns, who knows what goes through their minds. To make it worse, when fans express their opinion they come out with a counter excuse to justify things so they have no intention of keeping fans loyal. It is just so plastic!!

You have put it perfectly how a few feel Trev and a fair few more who probably do not want to face up to what we see.
    The club’s, at times, shocking attitude stems from one and the same thing. Our unique set up. Everyone comes away saying very similar things to what you have said. Yet another ex-player saying the same last month, in his words, “you could make a soap-opera out of the BS that goes on at that place”.

The sad (or heartening thing, depending on perspective) is you are right, people will keep coming back for more, keep believing the club can behave and run in a way that suggests it is anything but the obvious set up we have. After the years of previous BS – we all pulled together and believed the club could be something different last season and it seemed like it was, a brilliant and to be applauded spell. What a mistake that was!

Still, people have their eyes open, despite the patronising, objectionable and thoroughly un-earnt view that the fans are somehow beneath the process of understanding the slings and arrows of ‘doing’ football at the 6th tier! As a collective we are very much not – which makes the actions of some at Town even more derisible and in need of a good hearty laugh at. We can’t see your Emperors robes! And it ain’t pretty.

You just have to look at the appalling and amateurish twitter exchange that Plant did on Jordan to realise how out of depth certain people are in running what we would consider a ‘non-league football club’ but seems like anything but at times, especially when the glaring basics STILL cannot be sorted. A kids birthday money for damns sake but what was the issue as far as HTFC were concerned – the complaint being out in the open – FFS.

The club is run for one purpose only and we all know what that is. It’s not the fans. No number of ‘wow look what we have done’ developments (that a load of non-league clubs do anyway without fuss), and seem to expect plaudits for, does not escape the fundamental reality of what Town at present is and has been.

Worse thing is we cannot even answer amongst us what happens when this period of Town’s history ends; we could end up picking up the tab for all of this, the attitudes etc with the club’s future. Again please do suggest anyone out there that the club have previously confirmed what happens to the years of losses run up year on year when the Weavers do move on?! That there will be no impact of this debt on the ability of the club to carry on. Seems a rather ominous grey area.

Hopefully see you again one day Trev, it’s still your Town, even if we are made to feel like it is anything but at present. Perhaps when it does eventually all change, and hopefully we have some sort of club left, we will be as excited at a trip to Barnoldswick as some are in the pursuit of National League football by Town in its current and questionable state.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am