Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
paulstreet
GARAGE
wootontommy
trevdee
8 posters

Telford result!

Surplus

Telford result! Empty Telford result!

Post by Surplus Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:21 pm

My week just got rougher. That was like a trip back in time to Walshaw up front and head tennis. Lot of endeavour, gilt edge chances going begging and conceding a goal that was bread and butter all day long. Tom Platt was MoM for me and Telford looked like a team just of relegation and didn't have to work that hard to do a job on us with the time wasting and slowing game up.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Telford result! Empty Re: Telford result!

Post by trevdee Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:32 pm

The main problem is having Platt in the middle. He was with us earlier in the season, we suffered and now we are suffering again. He doesn't put the tackles in, ball watches, doesn't have speed of thought and should be a few leagues below. He needs to knuckle down and spend less time flicking his hair back, I felt sorry for Kerry today. I don't know how you could make Platt MOTM Surplus?

Fair enough we should have converted chances but we were bloody poor today and look like throwing it all away.

Give us something to cheer about!

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Don't think Platt did badly at all and for me was one of the better players. Odd Trev you would pin it on one loanee who gives 100%.

We have a cluster of forwards now who need to grow some frankly, got bullied big time, again, by opposing defence.

Yes Hearn needs match time but does he want it? not on todays evidence - maybe like someone else he considers himself to be football league. As for Knowles, the bloke scored some goals a few years ago and his plays shows it. Seem to be accumulating players who look like to look like and imagine they are Premier league, wag style players but get bullied out of it by opposing defences. Prove your worth.

Wingers are going backwards and tactically we were naïve again - why continue with the long balls, as with last home game, when the result was the same time after time.

Yes, we could say the misses in the first 20 cost us but Simon has now got to ask all of them as a collective whether they have the bollox to be up there and challenging to go up, teams are now coming at us treating like challengers but we do not have the nous to counter it.

As you say Surplus, that match stank of last season.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:01 pm

What is it with all the heading? I know the pitch is a bit chewed up and I got the idea of long ball to Clayt's for a knock down but I don't think it does us any favours. I think we missed Mason and also Burrell. Hearn looks a handful but he's off the pace and I'm not sure how he's going to fit in with Clayt's, other than balls humped up the pitch. No real danger from crosses or corners, didnt get in behind and their goal was just a ball lumped in. Admittedly, their goalie kept them in it 1st half but we played like we'd never met each other. Another worry is the club marketing the 'push' and get in young un's but 800 down to 700, if we keep playing like that we'll be down to 500 again. Next game is a must win, otherwise were going to be lucky to stay in play off's and we need to generate interest and fervour at home!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:18 pm

First half, Platt was running around like a headless chicken and got caught in possession 3 or 4 times and Kerry was all over the pitch making tackles and covering for Platt (remember the moment when instead of passing back to Ellis he played it straight to their striker, or what about in the second half when the ball was played to him near the touchline and he turned into trouble losing possession. Then the time Clayton had a free header and he got in the way - 3 out of many examples).  I suspect this is why the players around him started to pump the ball forward, no confidence in the guy to keep the ball on the deck. I only suspect that bit and I am sure if we had either Thirwell or Burrell in there it would have been a different story. It wasn't just me thinking this, I had 6 or 7 around me saying the same.

For me when you are playing a 442, you cannot afford for one of the central mids to be shockingly bad. It dictates how the games flows and that was shown today plus on Tuesday against Tamworth.

Last edited by trevdee on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    wootontommy

Post by wootontommy Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:19 pm

The most annoying thing today was not the embarassing display of time wasting, cramp feigning and kicking the ball away anti -football played by Telford, but the fact that we bought in to it whole heartedly. Where was our pace? Why did we resort to lumping the ball in the air, instead of playing football? Why didn't we close them down? Why do we rarely gain any advantage from a throw in? Why couldn't we hit he back of the net when the ball is presented on a plate half a dozen times or more? We were the home team for goodness sake! We should have bossed it against a pretty poor side, where instead, we looked clueless. Where has our team gone? MoM decision was curious, but then naming any of the players out there today would have been questionable - none of them deserved it
    wootontommy

Post by wootontommy Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:21 pm

The most annoying thing today was not the embarassing display of time wasting, cramp feigning and kicking the ball away anti -football played by Telford, but the fact that we bought in to it whole heartedly. Where was our pace? Why did we resort to lumping the ball in the air, instead of playing football? Why didn't we close them down? Why do we rarely gain any advantage from a throw in? Why couldn't we hit he back of the net when the ball is presented on a plate half a dozen times or more? We were the home team for goodness sake! We should have bossed it against a pretty poor side, where instead, we looked clueless. Where has our team gone? MoM decision was curious, but then naming any of the players out there today would have been questionable - none of them deserved it
    wootontommy

Post by wootontommy Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:21 pm

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:50 pm

On Platt wtf?? Did he miss the chances in the first half, did he concede an needless foul for their goal, was it him marking the player who scored for them, was it him bottling it up front in the second half????
    Nah mate. Don't think Simon thought he was doing THAT badly did he, if he was having that much of a shocker and playing with his hair as you pointed out he would have been off wouldn't he?

Meant to be going for promotion, blaming todays defeat on how a side fighting for their lives played and one of our players is an easy out and utterly misses the general lack of general graft against a robust backline, our lack of alternatives to pumping the ball up front and a lack of craft and guile out wide.

Fair enough if you want to reconsider town as a midtable side but promotion chasing? Nah your arguments don't wash and avoid the wider points as to why our form has gone down the pan.

Last edited by Carefree on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:55 pm

We are tinkering with the team! !  It very rarely works.  We had a team that was scoring every week not long ago. We now play very narrow so no wide men causing problems for defenses.  The injured players returning are nowhere near ready for first team action and look poor. I suppose Thirlwell will return shortly to the team and we will loose some of our creativity.  We'll be lucky to be in the playoffs if it's not sorted quickly
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:59 pm

At least Boston lost! Terrible today, could have been three up after 20, after that...rubbish. I would take 5th place now, I'd pay good money for it! Please don't blow a great season lads. 270 minutes without a goal. Miserable evening for me tonight.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:10 pm

I am telling you now if we keep playing Platt we wont make the playoffs, it only takes one player to disrupt momentum. Anyway Carefree we will have to agree to disagree on this one!
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:21 pm

I don't understand where the team I was watching a month ago has gone. Telford were not very good at all, lacked craft and I didnt think they were that threatening. Solihull keep grinding on and that is all we needed to do. Dominate, play the ball around and work for each other. If I saw one ball humped up the pitch to their defence I saw 30. The subs tried to get busy but I didn't see a game plan. Just looked like a sponsored head-a-thon with a bit of wrestling and shirt swapping thrown in for good measure. Supporters were tense, momentum has gone and can't blame tiredness for that carry on.Need to get this fixed sharpish!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:31 pm

We had a period of 4 games where we had a similar torrid time this season and there was a common denominator. That all changed when a certain person went off back to his home club, we all need to open our eyes on this one!
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:41 pm

I opened my eyes when their centre half went off injured. Too good to be true, make shift back four, thought we'd be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie. Need to put a weight belt round the ball to keep the damn thing on the ground! Possibly dock wages for any header that isn't a goal effort or a clearance!
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:31 pm

I told the Telford fan sitting in front of me that his side were very good at time wasting and he agreed with me - but why did they have to start doing it after 15 minutes?

Thought we were poor today. One point out of the last possible nine.
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Apart from booting the ball upfield to an unfamiliar Hearne (why did Simon have to throw him in so early - smacks of desperation) and the ineffective Clayton, what was the game plan?
    When we've scored goals to beat teams in the recent past we've steadily built up a move by playing good football. Colbeck showed nothing today. Daniels continued his recent laid back and over-rated form. Hearne missed chances (wasn't he there to convert them?).
    Turner cleared 2 of their chances from the goal line, otherwise it would have been worse. Swaine worked his arse off and, for me, deserved MOTM.
    On reflection, Telford's win and probably Tamworth's (which i didn't attend), weren't much different from our narrow wins against North Ferriby and Stockport. I know we say that any team can beat any other in our league, but currently we don't look much better than the other also-rans.
    wootontommy

Post by wootontommy Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:38 pm

We didn't look like a side who thought they were going to win today. Telford are fighting at the bottom of the table. We should have come out knowing that we were good enough to win at a canter. I can't understand where all the confidence and self belief has gone. We place ourselves on the back foot as soon as we resort to playing the long ball constantly so why do it?
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:10 pm

First home game I've missed.Some very interesting posts about today's match.I can see why some fans on here are gutted about how the last 3 matches have panned out and I'm in that click also But..we are still in the mix, every team will have a slump in form Boston the latest, like us to fall flat. Fylde and NFU were going through it 2/3 weeks ago and have now come through it with 3 and 2 wins on the trot respectively .Solihull are home and dry for the championship bar a miracle.Hopefully we have had our mini slump and can now kick on.Second place is still there for the taking and with this squad I don't see why we can't kick on and achieve it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am