Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

Zone 14 The Art of Defence and Attack : Update3

Ball and Socket

Zone 14 The Art of Defence and Attack : Update3

Post by Ball and Socket on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Since the first half against Stockport we have been so solid defensively. One goal conceded in over 500 minutes (includes stoppage time) and that was the PEN on Tuesday at Tamworth. So as a team we are a tight unit. Why has the goal stream dried up in the last two games? Well Gloucester are a side enjoying their best spell of their season. Their Manager got MoM for January and their young No 5 got player of the month for the Conf North in January too. Tamworth have been going through a good spell also and beat Solihull away recently. These games have been hard mentally and physically for our squad. But they are the form teams in our league.

On Tuesday several players looked very tired from the off. Daniels, Clayton and Kerry were finding it hard to get going and make an impact. Brendan was getting pelters from the home crowd and he could not get the ball out of his feet. Even his set pieces were poor by his standards. A sure sign that he was fatiqued. Maybe after his 'rest' Swain can be given a run from the start against Telford giving Brendan a wee rest. Any thoughts on that? When Clayton is tired he tends to be caught offside far too often. A sure sigh his concentration levels have dropped. His chest layoff on the edge of the box allowing Platt his shooting opportunity in the first half was one of our few chances. Platt did well but it was clear we were missing Burrell's presence. Any thoughts on this?

Kerry was a yard short of his usual pace picked up two bookings that were soft. How many times did they kick the ball away or hold onto it slowing down our play? I think he certainly missed having Burrell alongside him. He would not normally give the ball away like he did in the lead up to their goal. But I noticed and so did the locals that when a pass was sent out to their wide players on the touchline quite often you could not pick up their jerseys until the ball had arrived at their feet. A camouflage trick. It certainly fooled Lloyd and Turner had to chase their winger back into our box and was guilty of diving in mistiming his challenge. You need longer legs Lewis for that!!

Must make a wee comment on the ref. Get it? Cause he was wee. He was consistent. Consistently blowing his whistle which irritated everyone and spoiled the game for the players, the coaches and the paying crowd. He was awful and he loved having a bit of friendly banter with the Tamworth players. No wonder Clayton puts himself about because he was getting stick all night long with no protection. However, the ref gave the Tamworth centre halfs numerous free kicks against Clayton. His BEST decision was to watch Emmett get away from their No.5 head for the box and then poor Jack just about had his head removed by this guy rugby tackling him to the ground. Red card all day. Not one bit of it. The yellow came out and he got a slap on the wrist. A few minutes later Kerry is jumping for the ball with their player who ends up in a heep holding his head. His card could not come out quick enough. Off went Kerry. The Club are complaining to the league about the ref. I hope to God he does not turn up for the Worcester or Nuneaton matches coming up!!

Surplus

Re: Zone 14 The Art of Defence and Attack : Update3

Post by Surplus on Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:01 pm

What are your views on slotting the new players in? Do you stick with the team that appear to have gelled and were turning out good results ( fatigue accepted) or do you twist and re-organise risking some of the team harmony! I personally think Burrell has been the difference recently, adding real quality in the middle of the park and allowing others around him to be more confident. He also gets himself in good goal scoring positions so sooner he's back the better for me!

Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:34 pm

No time like the present. Eleven games to go so its not the time to pussyfoot around. Burrell is out for two more games so Platt who should be relatively fresh should start. Kerry is going to be out for three games so if Thirwell is fit he should play. Clayton needs a wee break/rest not because he has been playing badly but because he is knackered. Hearn to start against Telford as it will be ideal to get him involved as quickly as possible. Depending on the score Clayton could come on so that we have two strikers and see how that works. Still think Emmett and Thewlis should start. With their pace and dribbling Telford will need to defend deep allowing us to push high up. Swain/Colbeck (set pieces) to start and like Clayton, Daniels to have a rest on the bench.

The back four have been immense with Crook pretty commanding. Keep shouting at the lads Peter. it gives the team infront of you more confidence and shows the opposition you are in command and know it. Swain must rue that push at FC Utd. He lost his place. However, Mason has come in, won player of the month and been outstanding. But I feel Louie is much more comfortable in his natural position on the wing, taking on the full back. If Joe starts on the left he needs to have a real go. Cutting in and having a shot with his strong right foot should produce some dividends.

Whoever starts HUNGER FIGHT POISE CONTROL is the mantra. Attack the zone that hurts them and defend the zone that has become precious to our team and is reflected in the recent results. When Telford have possession it must be brief. Everyone has a job to do and supporting each other is key.

Surplus

Post by Surplus on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:17 pm

I've had a rough week B & S, could do with another goal fest to sooth the nerves and level up the goal difference. Be really good to see the new guys, and hopefully we take it up a level. Getting 800 at the CNG last time out was also very good but need to generate that buzz again. Hopefully also start putting down a psychological marker if it's play offs that can give us an edge.
    rangerider

Post by rangerider on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:06 pm

If there letting in under 18s free for the rest of the season then i hope they open another turnstile, lot of people missed the start of the last match as the queue was to the top of St Nicholas Road
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:37 pm

Never learn. Get there a bit earlier instead of waiting till the last minute.
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:38 pm

Kerry gets a one game suspension for two yellow cards.
    rangerider

Post by rangerider on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Townfan wrote:Never learn.  Get there a bit earlier instead of waiting till the last minute.

How the hell would you know what time i got there? Townfan

TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:38 pm

rangerider wrote:If there letting in under 18s free for the rest of the season then i hope they open another turnstile, lot of people missed the start of the last match as the queue was to the top of St Nicholas Road

As much as I am happy about the club being proactive in getting support in. Why cant the club do something for the over 18s that attend the games? The club needs to be careful, as it may alienate some of the over 18 fans, seeing as they are giving the U18s free entry.

Surplus

Post by Surplus on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:33 am

Reminds me of the old adage 'the road to hell.....' Shows me that the club is trying to be innovative and get the gate up above the stubborn 500 mark for the 'push', as well as do what it can to run a good financial model offset with price reductions for a certain section of fans. Hopefully it will bring in more families and parents and create and grow the fan base for next season but a balance has to be struck. We as supporters want good players in and exciting football and we want to win. Wages and infrastructure need paying for. Will be interesting to see how that balance is struck depending on which league we will be playing in next season.
    Townfan

Post by Townfan on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:13 am

Don't give a toss what time you get in RR, I was talking in general.

gharland

Post by gharland on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Please dont start the argument about u18s for free on here, I enjoy reading all the comments on here and keep myself to myself, and have a little chuckle about everyones own thoughts, whether i think they are right or not, every one is entitled to their own opinion, but I cant keep quiet on the subject of the u18s for free as many already know i am a little unhappy about it, Im not unhappy they are letting the kids in for free, a lovely gesture I think i have been quoted before as saying. But it annoyed me when the the stadium announcer said at the end of the game that we should thank the "Generous directors" for letting the kids in for free...... as my daughter who is an under 18s season ticket holder doesn't get anything! except a small discount on next years season ticket which is pointless as it would have been cheaper to pay her into every game than was to buy this years season ticket !!

WGHT

Post by WGHT on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:41 pm

gharland wrote:Please dont start the argument about u18s for free on here, I enjoy reading all the comments on here and keep myself to myself, and have a little chuckle about everyones own thoughts, whether i think they are right or not, every one is entitled to their own opinion, but I cant keep quiet on the subject of the u18s for free as many already know i am a little unhappy about it, Im not unhappy they are letting the kids in for free, a lovely gesture I think i have been quoted before as saying. But it annoyed me when the the stadium announcer said at the end of the game that we should thank the "Generous directors" for letting the kids in for free...... as my daughter who is an under 18s season ticket holder doesn't get anything! except a small discount on next years season ticket which is pointless as it would have been cheaper to pay her into every game than was to buy this years season ticket !!
    I have got to agree with you here as I am an u18 season ticket holder and when I heard about the news of u18s going free for the rest of the season did annoy me and I didnt even know about the discount on the season ticket next season. realistically I dont think that this was well planned as this doesnt give any real benefit to the people who support town week in week out

TheNeil30

Post by TheNeil30 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:00 pm

The club don't give a toss about the fans who go week in week out. That has been clear for some time.

Season Ticket holders were told that they would get something back for the free game against Brackley - nothing came of that.

That short arsed tosser Plank knows bugger all about running a football club. It's all about £££. There is no way the club will be losing out with the offer so the announcement at the end of the game about thanking the directors is a joke. With the free entry also comes full paying adults (Large percentage anyway) and also the additional income through programmes, merchandise, food and drink.

It absolutely stinks!

gharland

Post by gharland on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:56 pm

I couldn't agree more, but If you whine on about it as you just get told how generous they were when they put a free coach on! (Ged mentioned this in a reply on social media) Which incidentally was on a Tuesday night away at Tamworth and left just after 3 on a school day and didnt get back until midnight(ish) doubt many 10 year olds like my daughter where able to take advantage of it!

In my view its a very poor show from the clubs directors when they let down season ticket supporters especially the u18s, who are supposedly the future of the clubs support and as they keep going on about how family friendly the club is, I can assure you my 10 year old daughter feels very let down at been offered £10 when 8 out of the 21 home games this year have been free for kids. and to not be offered anything from the club for this season is nothing short of a joke by them,

gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:09 pm

TheNeil30 wrote:The club don't give a toss about the fans who go week in week out. That has been clear for some time.

Season Ticket holders were told that they would get something back for the free game against Brackley - nothing came of that.

That short arsed tosser Plank knows bugger all about running a football club. It's all about £££. There is no way the club will be losing out with the offer so the announcement at the end of the game about thanking the directors is a joke. With the free entry also comes full paying adults (Large percentage anyway) and also the additional income through programmes, merchandise, food and drink.

It absolutely stinks!

Season ticket holders were offered free travel to 2 away games - Stockport County and Tamworth - get your facts straight!
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 pm

OK, but not all season ticket holders can, or want, to go to away games. What about two free programme vouchers, for example. The away fans are great, but so are those who don't travel.

gharland

Post by gharland on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:01 pm

Anything would be good, especially for the kids, as judging by ged not offering a reply to e-mails or any post by me on here, I can only presume the generous directors are happy with kids paying more for a season ticket than what it costs on the gate! Rip the kids off, and hide behind free coaches one of which was impossible for kids to go on, what's worse is Abbey knows she has been conned this year so why should she get a season ticket next year, when she may pay more again! so the club get to keep their ridiculous offer of £10, we'll done to the generous directors for potentially losing a junior season ticket holder, but then again... Looks like they are not too bothered,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:02 am