Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+17
Top Cat
fulhamphoenix
oldbiltonboy
7eric7
paulstreet
trevdee
TheNeil30
Townfan
Surplus
iand1957
sagalout
Mike of Wetherby
gedmaloney
FCUnited
slicker
Big Lundy
HTAFC Away Travel
21 posters

FC United @ home!

TheNeil30

FC United @ home! - Page 3 Empty Re: FC United @ home!

Post by TheNeil30 Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:16 am

How would segregation help?

It wasn't Town fans involved. Even with segregation, Leeds fans would have got in to the away end of they wanted to.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:14 am

I thought the atmosphere was fantastic with 1300 fans enjoying themselves. Admittedly didn't see any nonsense but had plenty of chats with FC fans and I think it's laudable what they as a group have down in setting up their own club. As for bother, hopefully it will decrease for them if they don't react but can understand the frustration. On the pitch, wish them well and hope they stay up and consolidate as taking hundreds of fans to away games is important for all teams in the division. As for stopping the bother, could look at a 'dry' bar but you lose money and idiots get drunk beforehand or smuggle alcohol in. Residential style cctv based near the bar and exit? All you can do is honestly reflect on situations and identity if there is anything else you can do to change the outcome. In this instance maybe there wasn't.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:25 am

With a crowd that size you are always going to get a few numpties but on the whole, when needed it was dealt with.

On to the football and atmosphere.

Credit to the FC United fans for singing even at 5 down, not many would do that (we did it at Boston last season) but what a cracking atmosphere, and there were lots of new faces in the Kop so hopefully they went away wanting to come back. And well done to our lot, there wont be many home crowds in this league that sing for 90 mins to match them.

It was men Vs boys on that pitch - We obviously learnt from the first game that we can't take a lead against them for granted, so we pressed them for the whole 90 mins. Our guys absolutely ran their socks off and the work rate I have seen in the last 3 games has been absolutely immense which funnily represents the last 3 clean sheets.

Clayts, Emmett and Thewlis absolutely terrified them and after the sending off Platt came on and was a rock in front of the defense........Great to see Gazza on the pitch too, just all round fantastic!

We have certainly hit title winning form, let us hope Solihull have a blip, what a time to be a town fan.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:38 am

Yes let's savour every minute! It looks as though it will be tough to chase Solihull down, but they must lose sometimes surely? I also thought Platy was superb, he will cover for Burrell comfortably. Thewlis really coming on, the two solo goals were superbly taken. Tough on Colbeck but what a player to have on the bench!  Great days indeed, store them in the memory banks!
    Top Cat

Post by Top Cat Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:03 am

Perfect game for platt to come on, great performance, if you came in at half time you wouldn't of realised we were down to 10. Thewlis and clayton work so well together, knowles when fit will have to wait his turn as will swain I think as the young lad from Rotherham looks a real good player.
    Great position to be in when you have a squad like ours this season, yesterday we had knowles, swain, thirwell,sheils,all unavailable, and players like colbeck and gazza on the bench! Plus Beasley and fallowfield who are unlikely to play this season.
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:28 am

Re trouble .... I was sat next to someone in the seated stand who got a text from an acquaintance in the fcum populated stand saying there were leeds fans in their stand and scented that trouble would kick off. This was 30 minutes before the trouble flared. But if the authorities see the problem, what do they do - eject every person who they think MIGHT cause trouble?
    Frustratingly, the authorities will always be one step behind if people go to a match hell bent on venting their hatred on an opposing group and anyone else in their way. I guess you could request a noticeable police presence at a match but then you need to know in advance of likely trouble (did we?) and also you need to pay a hefty fee!
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:30 am

Surplus wrote:I thought the atmosphere was fantastic with 1300 fans enjoying themselves. Admittedly didn't see any nonsense but had plenty of chats with FC fans and I think it's laudable what they as a group have down in setting up their own club. As for bother, hopefully it will decrease for them if they don't react but can understand the frustration. On the pitch, wish them well and hope they stay up and consolidate as taking hundreds of fans to away games is important for all teams in the division. As for stopping the bother, could look at a 'dry' bar but you lose money and idiots get drunk beforehand or smuggle alcohol in. Residential style cctv based near the bar and exit? All you can do is honestly reflect on situations and identity if there is anything else you can do to change the outcome. In this instance maybe there wasn't.

I agree surplus, and reflect is something we will do and then make appropriate changes. I have already had discussions with a number of Town and FC United supporters and am confident that we can make changes that will minimise the chance of this happening again. Will review this at next weeks SUpporters Club meeting on 1st MArch in the 1919 venue. 7.15pm start.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:41 am

Segregation wouldn't have been the answer, it would have stopped the countless good chats and banter we had with FC United fans which makes us all love this level of football. As others have said the vast majority who turn up are like minded and love a good natter with the opposition. We shouldn't have to allow for a few Leeds Chavs and the reactions of fifty something year old blokes spoiling for a fight.

Leeds fans will always and have always had a slightly larger minority of to$$ers and on my very close up viewing of the melee towards the end of it was that unfortunately despite FC United being a top club with incredible fans they too attract a slighter larger minority of the same w*nkers who will take any slice of trouble they can, as they weren't defending no one at that stage, whole groups of blokes who should no better were just randomly punching out at a lad on his own. Again f&cking cowardly in the extreme.

The stewards by the way were fantastic, who also became the focus of FC United fans aggression at that point.

Just have to accept with certain clubs you will get a small element of these fools. Maybe if they actually fecked off to (B)Ellend Road and Old Trafford we could just be talking about another top notch performance by the lads and coaching team and the great conversations we had with a top group of fans contributing to a new era in football.

FCUnited

Post by FCUnited Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm sorry Carefree, I can't agree 100% what you have said. We take 100s of fans everywhere and the only trouble we've had this season is at a cup game at Sporting Khalsa where surprise surprise 40 Wolves fans turned up looking for trouble. (They were playing Middlesboro 3 miles away at home)
    And obviously yesterday. We were in Yorkshire at Bradford Wednesday night, no hint of trouble or 99% of our fixtures. That is not the actions of fans from a club with a larger percentage of t*****s.
    We do self police ourselves, so when a group of our youngsters tried to go and "See" what was going on, they were stopped by older fans, same as the silly little Girl hitting the dug out with an Umbrella.
    When hooligans turn up and want trouble though and hit an old Man, a 16 year old Girl who was in tears and a Woman, then people will get angry and fight back.
    I agree though to kick someone when they are down, is cowardice and is a total over reaction.
    As for the stewards, one of our fans who knows some Leeds fans well, pointed out to security that there was a known element of Leeds hooligans in the ground and pointed them out to the stewards. The Leeds fans were on their phones to their cronies outside. This is where the anger against the stewards was directed. Now I for one am not having a go at your stewards as they were really polite and I spoke at length with a few, One ironically from Leeds!
    They are in a difficult situation as your right, they can't throw everyone out on the say so of an individual. The Leeds fans were menacing though and you could tell they would kick off as they approached. I also have the contact details for Ged Maloney of the Guy I am on about who saw the hooligans and reported them.
    Take care all and again, Best wishes!

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Yes some of your fans tried to stop the situation along with myself but there were plenty who ran down who were nowhere near the initial trouble just to chuck a punch at a teenage lad trying to run away - take it you missed that bit. And there were plenty of those cowards who wanted a cheap shot.
    Think you are amiss to not see that FC United also has an element quite willing to get stuck in and cause trouble. Perhaps they too should just spend time at Old Trafford and not taint the wonderful work done by many at your clube
    7eric7

Post by 7eric7 Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:30 pm

It was mooted on our forum that there was to be a turnout from Leeds yesterday, if we knew I'm pretty sure plod will have known so I cant understand why more wasn't done when they were pointed out.
    I was in the bar underneath the TV near the door talking to a couple of ex Leeds and now Harrogate Town fans when it all kicked off, I ended up actually next to the bar covered in my and a few others beer, what a waste of Daleside.
    A great shame which spoiled the day even more than the result on a day I had been looking forward to since 2005 when I stopped going to Old Trafford.
    On the pitch I reckon we are shot and unless things change we could be back in the NPL next season.
    Good luck with the rest of the season and if at the end of it you go up and we stay up yesterdays result may sit with me a bit better.
    FCUnited

Post by FCUnited Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Carefree wrote:Yes some of your fans tried to stop the situation along with myself but there were plenty who ran down who were nowhere near the initial trouble just to chuck a punch at a teenage lad trying to run away - take it you missed that bit. And there were plenty of those cowards who wanted a cheap shot.
    Think you are amiss to not see that FC United also has an element quite willing to get stuck in and cause trouble. Perhaps they too should just spend time at Old Trafford and not taint the wonderful work done by many at your clube

Mate, I just disagreed with you, I wasn't amiss at all, the general consensus among our fans was "Leeds are here, get t them out" and not just running to punch one poor lad trying to run away, he was brave when his mates attacked innocent people,  there are plenty of people who will react to trouble and get involved. Like if I turned up at a Harrogate away tie with 20 other Man United fans and attacked an Old Man, a teenage Girl and a Woman, then I suspect some of the Harrogate faithful would be queing up to give me a hiding. I would accept that.
    My point is, there would have been no trouble if outside elements hadn't come looking for it AND initiated it by throwing punches randomly. The proof of the pudding is we have no trouble at away grounds due to any of our fans being cowards and starting trouble for the fun of it. Nor to we take any fans to other teams games to cause mither, so to tar those fans who reacted with the same brush as the Leeds "Fans" who started it, is wrong in my opinion. I'm aware of what happened, I saw it with my own eyes. It sickens me and I havent stepped foot in Old Trafford since 2009.
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:20 pm

Getting back to the game itself,some great team work play all over he pitch.yes, Jack and Clayt's were outstanding but for me for someone who is so slight in build and height and tbh when i first saw Mason Warren i worried if he would be bullied in this league.How wrong can first impressions be.The lad is totally fearless,strong, great leap nothing seems to phase him great ,great prospect.
    Rotherham might be struggling now, but with Jerry and Mason coming through it wont be long before they are on the up.
    oldbiltonboy

Post by oldbiltonboy Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Turnout from Leeds lol.

90percent of the football supporters who live in the town support Leeds. Most of erm will go watch Harrogate if there doing well or on a cup run as its there local non league side.

All this hoards of trouble makers coming from further a field because its Fc United is crap. Its not that hard to understand that people support Leeds and Harrogate.
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:12 pm

oldbiltonboy wrote:Turnout from Leeds lol.

90percent of the football supporters who live in the town support Leeds. Most of erm will go watch Harrogate if there doing well or on a cup run as its there local non league side.

All this hoards of trouble makers coming from further a field because its Fc United is crap. Its not that hard to understand that people support Leeds and Harrogate.

I have to respect your observation but it's not the way i see it. Most people in Harrogate are incomers and will have supported a team whence they came (this may include Leeds), if any other team. Most just watch Harrogate.
    Where were these troublemakers against Grimsby etc. They came for this match (as far as i can see) as, mostly, hardened Leeds fans (from Leeds) wanting to kick the **** out of (what they see as) ex-Man U fans. End of.
    Top Cat

Post by Top Cat Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:17 pm

Agree that a fair few town fans used to watch other teams but now only really support town, in the group that I go to games with there's Spurs, Liverpool, hull, man Utd, Blackburn, York.

But saying that don't care who you support there's no excuse what's so ever for what happened yesterday at any level of football or life in general.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:46 pm

fulhamphoenix wrote:
    oldbiltonboy wrote:Turnout from Leeds lol.

I have to respect your observation but it's not the way i see it. Most people in Harrogate are incomers and will have supported a team whence they came (this may include Leeds), if any other team. Most just watch Harrogate.
    Where were these troublemakers against Grimsby etc. They came for this match (as far as i can see) as, mostly, hardened Leeds fans (from Leeds) wanting to kick the **** out of (what they see as) ex-Man U fans. End of.

A valid observation Fulham Phoenix
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:33 pm

Back to the game again, have to agree about Warren. Looked about 16 to me but what a player. Rotherham have a gem there. Hope Simon continues to pick him over Shiels. Still wallowing in the feel good factor.
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:54 pm

paulstreet wrote:Back to the game again, have to agree about Warren. Looked about 16 to me but what a player. Rotherham have a gem there. Hope Simon continues to pick him over Shiels. Still wallowing in the feel good factor.
    You mean Louie Swain?..Don't worry we all do it Smile
    TheNeil30

Post by TheNeil30 Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Anyone else notice the self confessed Mr Harrogate Town, now Mr Harrogate Railway, giving hand gestures to the FCUM fans? Funny how those fans who turned their backs on Town last season and now creeping back in.
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Very interesting listening. FCUM podcast.Start after 19 mins.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:57 am

The Paul Clayton doubters who were on here not long ago should hold their hands up and fully appreciate he is the best c/forword we have had for years. Friends of mine who came to the game on saturday were full of praise for him . Has anyone noticed how much better we have been since Knowles went off injured.Hope Simon has realised who the problem was up front . Knowles struggles to play with his fellow forwords at present so he needs to look at his own style of play.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:20 am

I must admit, I was one of the ones that thought Clayton wouldn't do it. How wrong was i!! I'm absolutely delighted for the guy and hope his form continues.

I also had a premonition the other night. I dreamt that the league will go down to our Fylde game away as a title decider between Harrogate and Solihull and we'd snatch the winner in the last minute, winning the title!
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:31 am

Anybody know what the attendance was.
    It was stated in the clubhouse after the game as 1329.
    It says zero on the National league site.
    It says 1120 in the Non-League Paper.
    How does this affect the prediction League - which number do they go with"
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:54 am

Attendance looked more like 1500 to me

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:10 am