Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+27
TheNeil29
wootontommy
burnleynotbarcelona
V'
Knaresborough Mariner
Mariner Mad
pie and chips
slicker
DBGTFC
HTAFC Away Travel
GTFCfan
boselecta
immariner
Innocent Bystander
trevdee
TownUltra
CCOB
Chips97
JoshR
GARAGE
crowbar6753
Big Lundy
GrimsbyFan15
rangerider
gedmaloney
paulstreet
Martin L
31 posters

Home V Grimsby Town

Knaresborough Mariner

Home V Grimsby Town - Page 6 Empty Re: Home V Grimsby Town

Post by Knaresborough Mariner Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:49 pm

Very much looking forward to this, never been able to get a 10 minute bus to a GTFC game before!

Should be a good close game; we've drawn a lot of away games this season and I wouldn't be surprised to see another.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:30 pm

DBGTFC wrote:Is the town the GTFC fans in all covered?
    All the shops are but the roads and pavements are open to the elements.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:46 pm

Big match build up!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Smile
    slicker
    slicker

Post by slicker Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Townfan wrote:
    DBGTFC wrote:Is the town the GTFC fans in all covered?
    All the shops are but the roads and pavements are open to the elements.

That's what happens when there is no Umbrella Payment.

S.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Bringing a few more than the Burscough 12!!!!!
    Shocked
    Can “The Kop Of Fear” compete on the acoustic front for this one?
    Wink
    JoshR

Post by JoshR Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:42 pm

The kop of fear will be in full voice dont doubt it for a second my friend!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:58 pm

We can generate a good noise with just 50 of us in that stand so crammed to the rafters it should be loud!
    V'
    V'

Post by V' Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:31 am

All the best for today, What a atmosphere it will be at the CNG. Got a feeling there will be a few FA Cup upsets today. with one being at Town. So Stu, Martin, Ian, H, Kat and others enjoy the day Very Happy
    burnleynotbarcelona

Post by burnleynotbarcelona Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:54 am

Burnley fan here (live in Skipton), can't be bothered with the hassle of our game at Blackburn today so coming over for the game. My second visit of the season, was at the Bradford PA game at the August bank holiday. Must confess not been for quite sometime (it was back when ex-claret Mark Ford was playing for you), but bought a car in Harrogate over summer and had to pass the ground a few times so was reminded really !
    Impressed how the ground had improved since the last time I'd been and also the standard of football (my usual non-league games are North West Counties - Silsden, Colne, Barlick, etc).
    Anyway hope Dom Knowles (started at Burnley, made the bench a couple of times under Eddie Howe) notches one today, looking forward to it.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:44 am

Burnley fan - enjoy the visit!! Hope you bring us good luck.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Grimsby are 4/7 ON to win this match so bookies don't reckon much to Towns chances.

I hope we give them a really tough match. On the day anything can happen in a cup tie . Hope Simon gets his tactics right, we need to ATTACK and go for an early goal to quieten the Gromsby supporters and get our crowd vocal.

A lot of money at stake today . I am expecting a WIN from Harrogate town and a Grimsby scalp.

Hope there's a decent police presence as Grimsby supporters are bad losers .
    GTFCfan

Post by GTFCfan Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:39 pm

Quink wrote:
    A lot of money at stake today . I am expecting a WIN from Harrogate town and a Grimsby scalp.
    Don't forget to go and collect your winnings mate....... lol! cheers lol!
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:17 pm

Thought Grimsby were the better side but the game hinged on the referee getting the penalty decision completely wrong-Town seemed to loose heart after that and it wasn't to be our day- Just shows the difference between the top halves of both leagues.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Tough playing 12! Looked like a good tackle to me, very poor decision, and the third goal ended the game. Grimsby may still have won, but it would have been closer. BUT we need other players to score sometimes!
    wootontommy

Post by wootontommy Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:26 pm

Sometimes you have to accept that the better team (albeit marginally) won,. Agree with Garage in that I didn't think it was a penalty and the decision affected us more than perhaps it should have. I also thought we were a bit over run in midfield, with two of their goals coming from a couple of individual errors. However, onwards and upwards in the league. Come on town!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:01 pm

OK we had a dodgy decision go against us and Grimsby were a good team, but look what Trinity and Worcester did away to Premier teams... WON! I was disappointed that we seemed to give up with _30 _minutes to go. Let's not mythologize this as a gallant defeat. The pen was hard to take but we could have fought harder.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:59 pm

It is done now....focus on the league!

Great day out, great atmosphere if i was the critical type I would query why we continue to play swain in a central midfield role when we have a steady eddie natural midfielder on the subs bench who with his experience may of helped us win more battles in the middle.

But despite the shocking decision, I am not sure whether we would have held on for a draw.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Yes full credit to Ged and Gary Plant (and all the others ( superbly organised day. Shows we could cope with a higher level. Yes.Trev is right, over now but the league still offers great things. Please don't leave all the goal scoring to Brendon though!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:28 pm

My analysis is quite simple on today. The problem was players in unfamiliar positions against higher quality players in a division above.

I understand that the first eleven selected that started today had won their last few games. However that was against teams of a similar/poorer standard than Grimsby.

We fell over today because Grimsby won the midfield battle. Swain and Knowles were disappointing today for me. Nyoni didn't have 1 of his best games today either, especially the 2nd half. A few players went missing and lost their heads in the second half which was disappointing also.

I can cope with defeat, but 4-1 was not deserved. It is absolutely imperative that the players get this result out of their systems quickly and get 3 points next weekend.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:30 am

Spot on. I must say Knowles' form is beginning to worry me. Clayton was excellent but Dom did not really contribute. Should have come off.
    , not Clayton. Midfield was exposed re: quality as Neil says. Ellis was superb, of course. Can't blame Crook for the goals. Need to bounce right back, head dropping was worrying!
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:55 am

Just my opinion but that's one of the big pluses that Paul Thirlwell brings to the team and his recent injury meant a lack of discipline, organisation an man management in midfield. Back to fitness it would have been a tough decision to drop players that had got us to this position. If players learn from the experience then all is not lost. Expect bounce back next week.
    On the subject of Dom Knowles - the skill he demonstrated to create the 1st goal would not have looked out of place in the premiership - more please!!!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:32 am

Ged. I fully agree on Paul Thirlwell. The game was lost in the midfield due to the above reasons but even a half fit Paul Thirlwell wouldn't have made the amount of mistakes by Swain and Nyoni yesterday. He should have started in my opinion, especially against the improved calibre of Grimsby Town.

On the subject of Dominic Knowles, there is no doubting the guys potential, but apart from that he covered some ground and provided a little touch of magic, but apart from that, he didn't do much else and didn't give the Grimsby defence much to think about. Clayton was giving Nsiala a torrid time with his aerial prowess until substituted. But its over now, we are out the cup and now our focus is on the League.

I certainly expect the squad to bounce back next week most definitely and I'm sure they will.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:44 am

To be fair I had forgotten about his contribution to our goal, so apologies due there, but needs more goals! Come on Dom!!
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:01 am

paulstreet wrote:To be fair I had forgotten about his contribution to our goal, so apologies due there, but needs more goals! Come on Dom!!

Needs more goals? but Clayton was excellent
    priceless

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:31 pm

First half we did brilliantly against a very strong side, who really should be going for the title this season. Midfield was where the match was lost - slow to change things around with Colbeck not at the races and a general lack of width that the didn't translate into any solidity through the middle. Felt Cecil was exposed playing with Swain, who had a bit of a shocker - again subs perhaps could have been made earlier than when we were out of the match. Second half the collectivity went from the team and perhaps not made the best spectacle for those additional 3-400 floating fans. Will they come back on the evidence of that - possibly not.

Was a lovely gesture at the start of the match with the scarves being handed out. Bar being shut at half time though - wtf

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:48 am