Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+2
rangerider
Innocent Bystander
6 posters

Time for Thewlis?

Innocent Bystander

Time for Thewlis? Empty Time for Thewlis?

Post by Innocent Bystander Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm convinced that - despite his herculean efforts - it is time to give Paul Clayton a rest and have Jordan Thewlis on from the start. He runs at defenders - has terrific pace, and better movement from the front line will help Dom Knowles who isn't getting the ball into his feet as he likes. Thoughts?
    rangerider
    rangerider

Time for Thewlis? Empty Re: Time for Thewlis?

Post by rangerider Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:32 am

I think its plain to see that the partnership between Clayton and Knowles ain't working, we need to look at something else, its looking like the same old story creating chances but not being able to put them away, i think playing Jordan instead of Clayton could be a good shout
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:52 am

We have 2 defenders running the team- they dont seem to know the secret of having the correct midfield to give the forwords the balls they need to score goals--Knowles will end up like most goalscorers at town recentley if somebody does not sort it out quick--our defence is superb the only week link is Mcwilliams
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:35 am

Assume you wasn't there on Saturday Garage?

Mcwilliams had an outstanding game, was absolutely immense!
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:09 am

trevdee wrote:Assume you wasn't there on Saturday Garage?

Mcwilliams had an outstanding game, was absolutely immense!

Dont judge on one game - think overall he has looked the week link and i can see why he was not Barrows first choise when they were at full strength
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:22 am

I thought he was a little dodgy in the first couple but been impressed with him since..I can only see him getting better

Post by Guest Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Yeah McWilliams has got better after a shaky start. The assist at Curzon was brilliant.

On the Clayton front - think there is still mileage in playing him away from home if we are up against it but just doesn't seem to be getting enough shots away again.....last time I said that he scored at Chorley so fingers crossed! Is a shame as he really carried us at times last season but now the team has got better he seems not be quite hitting the highs he did. His mobility seems a bit of an issue imho.

Maybe Telford might be the tester for that partnership - if it doesn't work again for the time being then change it for our double header at home with Threwlis in.

Does anyone know what we have in terms of Youth options up front, any promising lads that could come onto the bench?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:57 pm

I would like to see a 4-3-3 with Emmett , Thewlis, either side of Knowles
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:20 am

Think this debate as been brought up on a other thread.Yet,we really are on a different level player wise this season , be it Clayts or Thewlis starting.This squad is one of the strongest in what is arguably the strongest league  for many a year.I can see why Innocent B wants Thewlis to start.
    We have only played 8 games, yet we really  have not looked out of place who ever we have played.The secret of a very good team is not only having very  good players who would put their bodies on the line for each other  but a great dressing room ....We are a team IMO .. who will get better,as the season go's on..and   who ever starts up front ..
    wootontommy

Post by wootontommy Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:16 am

We should use the fact that we have such a strong squad by being confident enough to use them, including the young players, when they are needed, to mix it up a bit or to give the players who always start a bit of a challenge, a rest or a wake up call. The manager has to have faith in the players he has signed to know that they can all do a job for the team. I,m not really into bringing in loan players at such an early stage of the season, for example - what message does that give to our existing squad? He needs to have the confidence to give them a go and we as supporters need to be behind them when they are offered a chance. They will only improve and gain experience if they are given a go. Clayton looks to me like he needs a rest, but that,s just a personal opinion.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:10 pm

trevdee wrote:I would like to see a 4-3-3 with Emmett , Thewlis, either side of Knowles

Like that, especially given how on it Emmett has looked when he has played. He would pull defenders this way and that and open up space for Knowles which perhaps a slightly less mobile partner might not do. Daniels with his glao getting knack could play either side as well.
    That said the 442 has worked well thus far - think Clayton has his more obvious strengths away from home than when we need to be more on the front foot at home.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm