Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

5 posters

Come back Peter!

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Come back Peter! Empty Come back Peter!

Post by paulstreet Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:38 pm

I obviously don't know the reasons why Peter Arnett felt it necessary to resign his posts at Harrogate Town, but I think most of us would agree it was a serious blow for the club and its outreach to the public of Harrogate. I have gone on (and on!) about the programme so will say no more about that, but Peter's running of the website was quite brilliant, won awards I believe. The website still functions, but is, quite frankly, pretty boring. Peter would update the website several times a week, and always kept it lively and interesting.

I suppose the point of this post is to ask whether there might be a possibility of some re-building of bridges etc. and whether we can find a way to get Peter back? We need him!
    rangerider
    rangerider

Come back Peter! Empty Re: Come back Peter!

Post by rangerider Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:11 pm

paulstreet wrote:I obviously don't know the reasons why Peter Arnett felt it necessary to resign his posts at Harrogate Town, but I think most of us would agree it was a serious blow for the club and its outreach to the public of Harrogate.  I have gone on (and on!) about the programme so will say no more about that, but Peter's running of the website was quite brilliant, won awards I believe. The website still functions, but is, quite frankly, pretty boring. Peter would update the website several times a week, and always kept it lively and interesting.

I suppose the point of this post is to ask whether there might be a possibility of some re-building of bridges etc. and whether we can find a way to get Peter back?  We need him!

You can add Tad to that as well
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:16 pm

Paul there is a new website due out soon.....Had certain files and templates not been deleted on his departure then there wouldn't be these issues.

As a result the club was forced to develop a new site, start the programmes from scratch and whatever else that went on.

He spat his dummy out because he wouldn't allow anyone else access to the site templates etc as he has done many times in the past...Only this time the club let him go.

I'm not affraid to say how it is and what he did actually makes my blood boil....sabotage because he didn't get his own way!

It is also worth mentioning that his replacement puts in 30+ hours a week unpaid - that is right, does not take a salary, unlike Peter!

Why don't you volunteer your services to help with the programme? We all want to see the club function well in every department.

Last edited by trevdee on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:19 pm

Can't argue with the proof reading though!
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Hello Trevdee. I have tried to keep away from this kind of argument as my reasons are just that mine, but in light of your accusations I will answer some of the of the points that you have raised.

Firstly, I can, hand on heart say that I have not sabotaged the site, I have not removed the year 2016 as I have been accused of in another post. The fixture date needs to be reversed for the new year, it's the only way that the CMS behind the website will understand it is a new fixture in a new year. Again, the year and time function is controlled by the hard code of the website and removing a single year would be impossible without access to that code.

Secondly, I didn't remove any templates as I did not have access to the hard code behind the website, that was always controlled by the website developers. The only way I could make a new page was by adding a blank page and using fences which was done by copying cells from excel which were then altered to fit the width of the page.

As soon as a new page was uploaded it was saved by the CMS and could be copied and altered as needed.

Please provide me evidence as to what files I am accused of removing, as slander and defamation of character without proof is a dangerous area. If these are image files they are in the image library - I haven't removed any of them as I have had no need to. If they are documents and sound files, again they are in the library but they get saved by the CMS as to what they are e.g. MPEG, MP3 etc so they need to be searched for in that format.

Just to point out as well that the club were developing a new website whilst I was there, I should know as I had several meetings with the designer and we were integrating new ideas and features that will hopefully enhance your pleasure of the site. To suggest that the new site has had to be developed because of 'me' is both untrue and unfair, as I can provide evidence to the contrary.

Yes I got paid for what I did, after all the role I inherited was an amalgamation of three other roles at the club and it was decided at a level higher than me that it would be a paid role. I tried to deliver quality for the money I was offered. Hopefully I achieved what I set out to do, the judges of that were always the fans.

Again, if you can prove how I am supposed to have sabotaged the site, I would be interested to know what I am supposed to have done. I realise that the website is difficult to navigate for someone who doesn't know their way around the CMS, I was never asked to give a handover to the new webmaster, I realise that this is because relations between myself and certain parties at the club had broken down, but I wasn't asked.

The part about having to start the programme from scratch is also incorrect. The club were handed a hard drive with the programme templates on, so they have them. If they choose to issue a new programme, again, I can't be held responsible for that.

You also accuse me of 'spitting my dummy out', maybe this is true to an extent, but having spent 4 years of my life building the website up to what it was, I suppose I was like an over protective father towards his child. The CMS either allowed complete access or no access at all. unfortunately there was no in between to allow other users to be able to add sections to parts of the site. One of the areas that we were looking into for the new site was having a program integrated that would allow other users to be able to log on and post in their own part of the website.

I realise that people will make their own minds up regardless of what information is 'put out there'. I hold no animosity to Harrogate Town AFC and are pleased to see them doing well. Certain people and I don't (and probably won't) see eye to eye and that is one of the reasons why I resigned (the club did't get rid of me), but that is human nature and the way it goes sometimes.

I hope that this will assure some people, not all I understand.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Pete

Last edited by Big Red Machine on Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:11 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling.)
    Town Lishke
    Town Lishke

Post by Town Lishke Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:49 pm

trevdee wrote:

It is also worth mentioning that his replacement puts in 30+ hours a week unpaid - that is right, does not take a salary, unlike Peter!

Yeah God forbid someone as wealthy as Irving should actually pay anyone for quality work  Rolling Eyes  Who is his replacement? The ginger chipmunk? Christ on a bike, what a perfect fit for Mr Chairman, a grade A lackey who is happy to give all his time and effort for nothing, who like many people before him will find that as soon as the club don't need or want him around he'll be shat upon from a great height and dropped like a hot stone. And whilst he may not get paid anything you're kidding yourself if you think he does it for altruistic reasons.

Peter's work was one of the best things about the club when everything around him lacked any quality or class. If Irving had any sense he'd have given Peter more control and made him full time on a really decent wedge. The fact that he didn't is odd given how much money he's seemingly been happy to fritter on utter dross the last 5 years. But we shouldn't be surprised, this is a chairman who makes poor old Ged pay his own way to do club charity work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm