Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

.

    Match Reports

    Share

    iand1957

    Posts : 31
    Join date : 2014-04-09

    Match Reports

    Post by iand1957 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:32 am

    Hi all
    I have read & re-read the match report from the Cleethorpes game & can't believe that it got published for all to see does it not get proof read.
    I'm not the world's best at grammar by a long way but have they never heard of spell checker or the cub football reporters "How to write a match report", It really could have been written by an educated chimp or someone who knows very little about football or perhaps both anyway i really hope it gets better or it's going to be a long season.

    Innocent Bystander

    Posts : 707
    Join date : 2011-07-31

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by Innocent Bystander on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:40 pm

    I have a feeling that it is going to be a long season. I'm on the point of unfollowing the Twitter feed because of the inane postings from the club's official account.
    avatar
    rangerider

    Posts : 918
    Join date : 2012-11-14
    Age : 71
    Location : harrogate

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by rangerider on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:20 pm

    Whats the admission prices for tomorrows game?

    pie and chips

    Posts : 167
    Join date : 2009-06-17

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by pie and chips on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:27 pm

    If the Cleethorpes match report is representative of what is to come, it will be a very long season indeed!
    "Should of" is the worst example.
    From the "Press Officer"?
    Dreadful, and not acceptable , bearing in mind the progress made in other directions.
    avatar
    trevdee

    Posts : 1365
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by trevdee on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:31 am

    Give the lad a chance, Pete quit and he was thrust into the role...You can't knock his dedication so I am sure he will learn pretty quickly.....rather than moan about ****, why don't we show some encouragement...Crikey no wonder it is hard to find volunteers - yes volunteer!!

    GARAGE

    Posts : 405
    Join date : 2014-08-06

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by GARAGE on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:16 am

    trevdee wrote:Give the lad a chance, Pete quit and he was thrust into the role...You can't knock his dedication so I am sure he will learn pretty quickly.....rather than moan about ****, why don't we show some encouragement...Crikey no wonder it is hard to find volunteers - yes volunteer!!


    Well said !!!

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by Guest on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:46 pm

    Some very short memories on quite a few fronts but hay ho trevdee.
    avatar
    trevdee

    Posts : 1365
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by trevdee on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:29 pm

    My memory is fine Carefree, regardless of what has happened in the past we still have to give the lad a fair crack at the role.
    avatar
    andytheh

    Posts : 16
    Join date : 2009-08-31

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by andytheh on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:10 pm

    Carefree !!! You an English teacher ?

    Top Cat

    Posts : 140
    Join date : 2015-07-14

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by Top Cat on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:27 pm

    Anyone who's having a go at the fella who's put his hand up to volunteer his time to do this, I invite you to take your own camera and note pad to our next game write your own report and post it on the web within 12 hours and get it 100% perfect and accurate.
    They are not the best at the minute but the lads never done it before, he's working hard at it and they will get better the more he does, seems a lot of people on here love to find the negatives on things straight away and seem to weirdly enjoy it!

    edwingray

    Posts : 14
    Join date : 2009-07-20

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by edwingray on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:13 am


    I personally think the reports are shocking, both in style and in grammar. Admittedly, style is very subjective, but there is absolutely no excuse for the very poor basic grammar. In my opinion, this also reflects very badly on the club.

    One or two examples:

    the use of a and an
    the use of hyphens (pre-season) and commas (however,)
    the use of conjunctions

    And yes, I believe 12 hours is plenty of time to produce a 500-600 word report that is written correctly. If the person is unsure it is possible to google these things in a matter of seconds.

    zzzz

    Posts : 24
    Join date : 2015-06-22

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by zzzz on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:04 am

    People moaning about reports and twitter feeds get too games you wouldn't need to rely on them,nobody gives anyone a chance to prove themselves

    TheNeil29

    Posts : 2368
    Join date : 2009-09-22
    Location : Harrogate

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by TheNeil29 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:24 am

    It might be worth remembering 'zzzz' that some people are not fortunate enough to get to the majority of games (fans who live further away, as just one example), so there is a reliance on the website match reports for an accurate indication of how the team have performed.





    avatar
    trevdee

    Posts : 1365
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by trevdee on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:32 am

    Anyway I have offered my services to proof read the reports before they are published so problem solved.

    No doubt one rant thread stops and another starts!

    zzzz

    Posts : 24
    Join date : 2015-06-22

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by zzzz on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:42 am

    TheNeil29 wrote:It might be worth remembering 'zzzz' that some people are not fortunate enough to get to the majority of games (fans who live further away, as just one example), so there is a reliance on the website match reports for an accurate indication of how the team have performed.





    so you should be thankful its available as alot of lower league sides don't update there websites often especially pre season

    TheNeil29

    Posts : 2368
    Join date : 2009-09-22
    Location : Harrogate

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by TheNeil29 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:02 am

    I am thankful that our club is slightly more pro-active with this, but the least they can do is get it grammatically correct and presentable.

    As Trev says, he has offered to proof read match reports, so problem solved.

    Will be reading them with interest, for the games I cant get to.

    TheNeil30

    Posts : 92
    Join date : 2015-07-15
    Age : 37

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by TheNeil30 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:18 am

    TheNeil29 wrote:I am thankful that our club is slightly more pro-active with this, but the least they can do is get it grammatically correct and presentable.

    As Trev says, he has offered to proof read match reports, so problem solved.

    Will be reading them with interest, for the games I cant get to.

    You will be doing a lot of reading then.
    avatar
    paulstreet

    Posts : 2331
    Join date : 2009-06-19
    Age : 70
    Location : Kirkstall/Headingley

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by paulstreet on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:51 am

    Struggling a bit with this debate. have read both the Barrow and Cleethorpes match reports and they don't strike me as being particularly 'bad', but then getting hung up on grammar baffles me a bit. Conveying meaning is surely what matters. I was more upset (altho' 'amused' would be a better word for it), by the absurdly biased away match reports last season. Anway isn'y someone called Tom actually writing the match reports, not our esteemed Press Officer?

    Apologies for the doubtless many grammatical 'howlers' in this posting.

    TheNeil29

    Posts : 2368
    Join date : 2009-09-22
    Location : Harrogate

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by TheNeil29 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:16 am

    TheNeil30 wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:I am thankful that our club is slightly more pro-active with this, but the least they can do is get it grammatically correct and presentable.

    As Trev says, he has offered to proof read match reports, so problem solved.

    Will be reading them with interest, for the games I cant get to.

    You will be doing a lot of reading then.

    A lot less reading than you assume.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Match Reports

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:07 pm