Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+15
kpgduras
nztownfan
Town Lishke
Big Lundy
rangerider
ultimate warrior
paulstreet
GARAGE
TheNeil29
Chips97
j2021
yorkiebar
sulphurite
Mike of Wetherby
thetallaccountant
19 posters

Retained List / Areas to Improve

j2021

Retained List / Areas to Improve - Page 2 Empty Re: Retained List / Areas to Improve

Post by j2021 Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:28 pm

You would get rid of Clayton and McGurk?

Hugely disagree there. Both are class.

Some York fans still wish they had McGurk in League 2, when fit, he is one of the best defenders in the league. No doubt.

Clayton has been class, changed our fortunes alongside a few others when we were struggling.
    As much as you think, a striker is not all about goalscoring, if he gets 10 goals a season and assists alongside a top goalscorer that's all you need.
    The amount of times he's won headers to start attacks, pulled opposition defenders out of position for Thewlis and others to score. As well as been great for defending corners.

Just my opinion though.

Retained List / Areas to Improve - Page 2 Empty Re: Retained List / Areas to Improve

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:30 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:So, now that the season is drawing to a close, here is my list:

Nowakowski - Leave
    Metcalfe - Leave
    Worsfold - Leave
    McGurk - Leave
    Rowe - Leave
    Coates - Leave
    Speight - Leave
    Milligan - Leave
    Franks - Leave
    Dean - Leave
    Heath - Leave
    Clayton - Leave
    Barnes - Leave
    Lenighan - Leave

Bloomer - Retain
    Meynell - Retain
    Fallowfield - Retained
    Killock - Retain
    Gascoigne - Retain
    Nyoni - Retain
    Crook - Retain (At all costs)
    Shiels - Retain
    Turner - Retain
    Kerry - Retain
    Swain - Retain
    Thewlis - Retain
    Walshaw - Retain (At all costs)
    Emmett - Retained

I'm sure this list will raise a few eyebrows, but based on my analysis of the season, and what I look for in certain players/positions, this is how I would go.

I'm sure people will disgaree, but this is my view.

Clayton has signed until the end of next season so that won't happen.

Would also retain McGurk.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Before Walshaw was rightly dropped by Weaver earlier in the season he wasn't putting any effort in, now he's being given another chance he is putting a lot of effort in so I would keep on what I have seen recently. But if he goes back to earlier in the season I'd get rid!

And Clayton, McGurk and Franks should defo stay! I know a lot of people don't rate Franks but he has been be great this season. If he works on losing a few more pounds he would be a class act at the back! Plus his long throws which has helped us set up some goals this season!
    yorkiebar

Post by yorkiebar Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:29 pm

just a few pounds , haha half a stone would help, apart from gasgoine and walshaw the rest can,t pass a ball to save there lives ,
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:22 am

j2021 wrote:You would get rid of Clayton and McGurk?

Hugely disagree there. Both are class.

Some York fans still wish they had McGurk in League 2, when fit, he is one of the best defenders in the league. No doubt.

Clayton has been class, changed our fortunes alongside a few others when we were struggling.
    As much as you think, a striker is not all about goalscoring, if he gets 10 goals a season and assists alongside a top goalscorer that's all you need.
    The amount of times he's won headers to start attacks, pulled opposition defenders out of position for Thewlis and others to score. As well as been great for defending corners.

Just my opinion though.

Well, we just view it from different perspectives then. Although Clayton brings a lot to the team, strikers have to be judged on goals. Although, as Jordan pointed out, Clayton is here until the end of next season, he is just not prolific enough, and if they don't retain Walshaw for next season, then it will be another season of mediocrity.

McGurk, although when he is fit is our best defender, he is just too injury prone. The reason he left York i believe is that because his body was struggling to cope with the demands of F/T football, but based on this season, it seems to me that his body is also struggling to adapt to the rigours of P/T Football. But when he is fit, he is our best defender by a country mile.

One thing to hold in mind as well for this season is that we scored the same amount of goals this season as Hyde, and we have the 2nd Joint worst goals scored record in the division. If you look towards the top of the table, teams have scored 70+ goals. Their main strikers are 20+goals, nearly 30 in some cases.

One thing, for me anyway, that is blatantly obvious for next season is that they have to re-sign Walshaw at all costs, and guarantee him first team football. Without him, unless they really pull of a coup elsewhere with a quality striker, we will struggle. Walshaw has not played for most of the season, and has had an injury or 2, but is still our top scorer.
    yorkiebar

Post by yorkiebar Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:33 am

good manargirial skills by weaver to keep walshaw on the bench , can,t get injured there. what a plonker
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

It will be interesting to see who stays and goes, that's for sure.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:08 am

I wonder about Kerry. I believe he signed a two year contract. He is a class player and I would like him to stay, but I guess he will be sold. Shame.
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:24 am

paulstreet wrote:I wonder about Kerry. I believe he signed a two year contract. He is a class player and I would like him to stay, but I guess he will be sold.  Shame.

Not a class player by any means -just average and too small at this standard -never comes out of a 50/50 with the ball- dont think hes even getting regular game out on loan-needs to be off loaded to get him a game somewhere

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:44 am

Speight is also on a two year contract Sad
    yorkiebar

Post by yorkiebar Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:14 am

he might get is 20 goals Evil or Very Mad

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:57 am

yorkiebar wrote:he might get is 20 goals Evil or Very Mad

Think he would need a 20 year contract for that!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:48 am

Speight needs to be gone. I'm just hoping Alfreton take him off us. Same with Lenighan.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:29 am

We would already seem to have the nucleus of a starting XI for next season:

Crook (if he stays), Turner, McGurk, Franks, Swain, Fallowfield, Gascoigne, Nyoni, Emmett, Clayton, Thewlis. Bench: Adam, Bloomer

Good enough for a play off place? Who, or what, more do we need?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:06 pm

If Wally leaves, we need serious firepower. That is obvious.
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What a load of bo*****s this guy has learn't nothing in the five years hes been in charge only how to fail season after season
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:52 am

ultimate warrior wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What a load of bo*****s this guy has learn't nothing in the five years hes been in charge only how to fail season after season

And if Walshaw leaves, it will be just the same again. As Thewlis and Clayton arent prolific enough. Worsfold may still leave yet.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:55 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:
    ultimate warrior wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And if Walshaw leaves, it will be just the same again. As Thewlis and Clayton arent prolific enough. Worsfold may still leave yet.

Walshaw will be leaving. Well that's what his parents told the fans anyway.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:18 pm

There is no surprise there. One of the most prolific strikers in non-league football and they have treated him with nothing but contempt. When he's been on the pitch, he more than often scores. Been on the bench for half the season, and still top scorer.

If it turns out to be true, I hope Simon is pleased with himself. He was just starting to get me on side with the current squad and results, but if Walshaw goes, it will be the biggest mistake this club makes.
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:32 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:There is no surprise there. One of the most prolific strikers in non-league football and they have treated him with nothing but contempt. When he's been on the pitch, he more than often scores. Been on the bench for half the season, and still top scorer.

If it turns out to be true, I hope Simon is pleased with himself. He was just starting to get me on side with the current squad and results, but if Walshaw goes, it will be the biggest mistake this club makes.

second mistake first one was making Simon manager
    j2021

Post by j2021 Tue May 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Walshaw definitely leaving after his tweet last night.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue May 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Its no surprise if he does to be honest. He was never going to stay.

First, they raise the ticket prices, and then they let go of one of the most prolific strikers in non-league? This is a striker who is benched for most of the season, and still ends up top goal scorer?

Not impressed.
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Tue May 05, 2015 3:46 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Its no surprise if he does to be honest. He was never going to stay.

First, they raise the ticket prices, and then they let go of one of the most prolific strikers in non-league? This is a striker who is benched for most of the season, and still ends up top goal scorer?

Not impressed.

What you worrying about ? we still have a 20 goals a season striker lol!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue May 05, 2015 5:58 pm

I've made my feelings clear in another thread.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue May 05, 2015 6:03 pm

We now need another quality Striker or another mid table season awaits. 20 goal striker, and we have Clayton, Thewlis and Worsfold? They will be lucky to get 20 between them. I do rate them, but prolific, they are not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:07 pm