Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

Players used by Town in the league this season

thetallaccountant

Players used by Town in the league this season

Post by thetallaccountant on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Following a conversation with Neil today I thought it would be interesting to jot down a list of everyone who has played for Town in the 25 league games so far this season either from the start or come on as sub.

The cast in order of appearance:

Barnes
    Killock
    McGurk
    Meynall
    Turner
    Lenighan
    Kerry
    Nowakowski
    Dean
    Walshaw
    Kendall
    Nelthorpe
    Larkin
    Swain
    Cartman
    Metcalfe
    Rowe
    Heath
    Griffith
    Margetts
    Bloomer
    Franks
    Emmett
    Speight
    Hassan
    Coyle
    Featherstone
    Carole
    Shiels
    Clayton
    Fallowfield
    Thewlis
    Crook
    Milligan

So that's 34, or for fans of the vidiprinter THIRTY-FOUR.

I'd be interested to know if any other teams at our level or above can beat this dubious record.

Of course like Simon says this is really down to injuries - if only we hadn't had such bad luck we'd be in the top 5 instead of falling towards the bottom 3.

No

TheNeil29

Re: Players used by Town in the league this season

Post by TheNeil29 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:53 pm

It's a sorry state of affairs at the club. The club has effectively become a playtoy for daddy's son to keep him away from the real money making business.

I wonder what excuses he will give now? and hopefully, Peter Arnett will do the match report instead of his Assistant, who is just a waste of Oxygen. Yes Craig, I'm referring to you. Can't kick me off this forum.
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Turnover is mental. Been saying it for over a year now. If he ripped up the squad after last season then surely it will be armageddon in the summer! But we all know why he does this, it's clear where HE thinks the blame lies, time after time.

Furthermore it's amusing how Bloomer, Nelthorpe and Nowakowski keep evading the cull. Now I'm not saying they deserve the axe but when many better players have gone through the revolving door yet those 3 remain omnipresent then it's clear that it's often politics at play with Simon rather than honest decision making. I mean why are they so special? Actually don't answer that.

5 years now and Simon's record constantly stays, remarkably, the same no matter what the circumstances. He loses about 50% of all his matches and wins about 35%. Slicker's assertion that if we keep throwing money at it, eventually he'll get it right is scarily wide of the mark because all the evidence we have suggests that even if he does get things right, it will be a flash in the pan. The idea, at this stage, that Simon will eventually come good and stay good and will bring Town success is one for the men in the white coats. We've seen the true mark of the man lately and it's quite unpleasant. His mask has slipped and he's simply out of his depth running a football team.
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:10 pm

Could be another one to add to the list soon

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    trevdee

Post by trevdee on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:35 pm

The strangest thing is some players just disappear and are not heard about again like they have been abducted by aliens......"oh lets sweep it under the carpet, no one will notice".
    slicker

Post by slicker on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:05 pm

If you exclude the Fotherby "no money" year the win/lose ratio is very different from your figures DK.

However I am not saying it is acceptable even after making the adjustment. I am merely making the point that in the end, the view appears to be that a big enough budget will buy success eventually, whatever that means.

When the bigger budget was given, the results were better than when the budget was smaller.

Whether the results are good enough at the moment is not in dispute unless there has been a surprising post match interview I haven't heard. It is simply the fault of the Management and the Playing Staff collectively.

If there were a playing staff budget league table printed it would be interesting to compare with respective league positions. We might be surprised at how big some budgets are at other clubs.

Back to today, I would like us to stick to one generic game plan even if it isn't particularly attractive. I actually derived some pleasure earlier this season when we battered other teams, got into people's faces and took the game by the scruff of the  neck.

The bottom line is that even at higher levels, players need to know what job they are doing, tailored to their strengths (presumably we identified those attributes when signing them), and then over a period of time they can work at it consistently together with their colleagues ( I think they're called team-mates ) to implement Tactics ( not the small sweets in a box )

The Diamond might be a girl's best friend but it looked more like Cubic Zirconia from Argos in the first half.

We looked lightweight in midfield today and with no width, even on the narrow pitch.

Nuff said.

S.
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:24 am

slicker wrote:
    If you exclude the Fotherby "no money" year the win/lose ratio is very different from your figures DK.
    Not only is that completely untrue but his figures for this season, when he's splurged as much money as he's been allowed, are even worse. In fact it's not the Fotherby "no money" year that is dragging his stats down it's the flash in a pan "8th place would be a success when we finished 9th" year that is propping his stats up. Simon is a poor, poor manager. No amount of money can buy him the expertise he needs. It wouldn't matter if he had Messi and Ronaldo at his disposal. He'd still find a way to lose.

chippy880

Post by chippy880 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:35 pm

Following today’s disappointing loss at Leamington, Bradford’s Martin Drury made the following statement:

“Today we were too weak in too many areas of the pitch.

“At times it was men v boys. I gave certain individuals jobs to do today and they didn’t do them.

“I hope the club give us the chance to bring in the players we want, to strengthen the spine of this team.

(this is what we need someone to stand up and be counted for)“Too many players have been given too many chances.

“If players aren’t willing to be brave and do both sides to a game of football then they won’t play for me.

“We need some winners in.”

THIS IS WHAT WE NEED HARROGATE TOWN TO DO SOMEONE COME OUT AND BE COUNTED FOR !!!!!!!!!!

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:28 am

Haven't posted before about this, but we sponsored the game on Boxing Day and our reception was decidedly frosty .... only Chef Rick said a warm hello (and his food was superb) .... so we didn't linger afterwards to present MoM.
    I have loved producing the posters etc but am highly unlikely to so so again in the current climate.
    Best to everyone for 2015.

town supporter

Post by town supporter on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:17 am

Innocent Bystander wrote:Haven't posted before about this, but we sponsored the game on Boxing Day and our reception was decidedly frosty .... only Chef Rick said a warm hello (and his food was superb) .... so we didn't linger afterwards to present MoM.
    I have loved producing the posters etc but am highly unlikely to so so again in the current climate.
    Best to everyone for 2015.

No sympathy from me - you were warned. You're either with or against the Weavers.

Ged - you've been very quiet of late - nothing to add?

On a positive note I'd like to thank the two individuals involved with the club who shared a few words with town fans after the game - ever the professionals and understood the frustrations felt by fans (I won't name them in case the weavers see fit to show them the door too)

Oh and if you get chance you must read the business plan (put together when irving had hoodwinked you all). Provided me with a good chuckle. I was hoping to query one or two points with irving but rumour had it he'd already escaped in his private jet. Oh well ...

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:35 am

If house builders are anything to go by and their commercial prosperity off the back of the biggest lending bubble ever, in a market rigged to keep land prices artificially high i should imagine the plan must be an interesting read.

town supporter

Post by town supporter on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:24 pm

I'm perhaps been a tad (whoops!) unfair as some of the plans are achievable it's just that they relied on success on the field too which is highly unlikely with Simon in charge. One of the bullet points refers to achieving promotion to the conference premier by 2016. There was no reference to fighting off relegation to the evostick. The aim of achieving 800 attendance wouldn't sound so ridiculous if the weavers didn't make such a monumental balls up of pissing off just about every individual they come into contact with and if Simon had an ounch of a footballing brain which sadly he doesn't (notwithstanding his coaching qualifications). The development of education initiatives sounds exciting but sadly most of the good work and links established were undertaken by someone who has now left the club and I imagine gone to waste. In addition call me a cynic but I'm not sure local headteachers will be queuing up to work with a club that has players with criminal records and one facing court action. Jake Speight to assist schools with anger management anyone?

Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:15 pm

town supporter wrote: One of the bullet points refers to achieving promotion to the conference premier by 2016.
    Ugh, so unless we're relegated they're going to be here for at least one more season then? The problem they've got now is, even if a miracle happened, people will still hate them!
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 pm

The Weavers will be here relegation or promotion next season, and into the future, I get the sense. I also get the sense that the more people moan about them, the more they will be likely to stay. It could get very awkward going forward. It's a real mess and shame for all concerned.

I'm not sure what the answer is?
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Force them out.
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:11 pm

36 when Ash comes back. Must be close now?
    slicker

Post by slicker on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:43 pm

Carefree wrote:If house builders are anything to go by and their commercial prosperity off the back of the biggest lending bubble ever, in a market rigged to keep land prices artificially high i should imagine the plan must be an interesting read.

Can you do my post Christmas wheelie bin, as you seem able to cram an awful lot of rubbish into a very small space. Meanwhile, back to football......
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:07 pm

If Town are losing the support (potentially), of IB (who has done great things for the club, posters etc., then the Weavers should really be worried, but of course they won't be. The drawbridge has been well and truly pulled up: its 'them' against 'us' now, and sadly they have all the power. At least the last few days have clarified the situation; they really are isolated now, and have retreated into their bunker. Us against the world, well, if that makes you feel better Irving and Simon, then OK, but its pretty sad from out here in the 'real world'.

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:57 pm

slicker wrote:
    Carefree wrote:If house builders are anything to go by and their commercial prosperity off the back of the biggest lending bubble ever, in a market rigged to keep land prices artificially high i should imagine the plan must be an interesting read.

Can you do my post Christmas wheelie bin, as you seem able to cram an awful lot of rubbish into a very small space. Meanwhile, back to football......

What an interesting post - given that your weaverfanboy climb down is in motion at the moment. I would suggest you put your own wheelie bin in front of your keyboard and hook them up............especially given your obvious naivety as to the housing bubble and Ponzi gravy train that house builders, estate agents etc have been on for a many good years; something which your ignorance permits you from acknowledging.

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:46 pm

paulstreet wrote:If Town are losing the support (potentially), of IB (who has done great things for the club, posters etc., then the Weavers should really be worried, but of course they won't be. The drawbridge has been well and truly pulled up: its 'them' against 'us' now, and sadly they have all the power. At least the last few days have clarified the situation; they really are isolated now, and have retreated into their bunker. Us against the world, well, if that makes you feel better Irving and Simon, then OK, but its pretty sad from out here in the 'real world'.

Town as a CLUB won't lose my support - my instinct is that this is true for nearly all of us - but much of the joy of trekking over to Wetherby Road has ebbed away. In the old days, Town played attractive football and punched above their weight. Our football has descended back to the dark ages and it is clear that W&M cannot coach attacking players to save their lives.

TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:16 pm

That is true for me as well. The club wont lose my support, but the management have totally lost my support, and i am currently losing faith in the squad, rapidly.

I truly believe we missed a real opportunity last season, as the squad was good enough last season to challenge, and we should be challenging at the top end this year.

It leads me to the old saying that 'A bad workman always blames his tools'. Simon will blame the players, the players will blame Simon. I truly believe the players could perform, but I am convinced that the majority, except for 1 or 2, have lost faith in Simon and his managerial skills.
    thetallaccountant

Post by thetallaccountant on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:51 pm

TU: Ash told me at a recent game he would be back this month. Can't come soon enough, though he won't be able to work miracles on his own.
    slicker

Post by slicker on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:19 pm

Carefree wrote:
    slicker wrote:

What an interesting post - given that your weaverfanboy climb down is in motion at the moment. I would suggest you put your own wheelie bin in front of your keyboard and hook them up............especially given your obvious naivety as to the housing bubble and Ponzi gravy train that house builders, estate agents etc have been on for a many good years; something which your ignorance permits you from acknowledging.

You really do know nothing.

S.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:46 am

slicker wrote:
    Carefree wrote:
    slicker wrote:

You really do know nothing.

S.

Nice one. I only carry out Macro trend consultancy work on behalf of my fmcg clients – I know nothing Slicker and you know everything.

Stroll on – if I wanted you to respond to my original post I would have put a picture of your wheelie bin on the post. I’ll even put an Iron Man sticker on it for you.

In fact let’s stick to that in future.

Oh and if you want to read up on some of the more interesting aspects of the Ponzi banking that has impacted on us all in varying ways – perhaps take a look at Market Oracle and ZeroHedge websites, or maybe even if you can stretch to it check out An Inside Job. Go on enlighten yoursen.

Good luck with the climb down.

Malcom Marshall

Post by Malcom Marshall on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:06 pm

40 players in 25 league games with as much money as you like and look where we are in the league in his 5th season!!!, just shows how inept he is as a manager, Neil Aspin never had this trouble in the same circumstances (1st job in football) he had us pushing for playoffs with a lesser budget and a squad of 16/17 players max.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:02 pm