Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

Its' all gone pete tong !

Its' all gone pete tong ! Empty Its' all gone pete tong !

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Oh dear, the optimism of last week has been dashed as panto season comes early to harrogate. There's going to have to be alot of lamp polishing before the massive "six pointer" next week.

However on a more serious note and in my humble unbiased opinion ;

At one nil down and Benjamin a yard ahead of their last defender who hauls him down when one on one, I have now seen the two of the worst refereeing decisions in a decade in the last two home games (the other being Ryans penalty that wasn't given for anyone not there last week) Down to 10 men for 70 minutes could have made a massive difference, but as is typical when you are struggling, they then go up the other end and score.

When confidence is fragile it doesn't take much to turn the momentum away from you in a game. Personally I think we should start next week with the team that finished this one. We can play some good stuff at times, but we are up against alot of teams who play the percentages. It happens at all levels, from premiership down.

The more crosses, shots and balls into the box you have, the more likely you are to score. It doesn't matter whether you play a diamond, christmas tree, christmas pudding or grand piano. We simply created a fraction of the opportunities compared to them. I agree that Benjamin doesn't look fit but we hardly played a ball into his feet all game, when at least he looks like he can turn defenders, get shots in or play others in.

I felt very sorry for Olly Ryan who worked his socks off against their big defenders. But surely he shouldn't be the one being hit with the high long balls, he should be feeding off Benjamin. The midfield has gone missing, and I thought Woodhouse has got steadily more disappointing with each passing game (freudian slip)

Anyway, that's my therapy session out of the way for the evening. Am daft enough still to be looking forward to the next 90 minutes on the psychiatrists' chair

S.
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Its' all gone pete tong ! Empty Re: Its' all gone pete tong !

Post by Big Red Machine on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:23 pm

I forgot to put this up last week, this weeks decision wan't any better either!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    j2021

Post by j2021 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:49 am

Very poor performance i thought a few players had a good game jameson, ollie ryan and trevor, did nothing wrong it was mainly the midfield when alfreton attacked it just seeemed to part down the middle and let them straight through, there wasnt enough tough tackles going in . I thought weaver was correct when he sed the defense was winning quitea few header but when they won them no town player was getting there body in to win the ball back.

And my other thought was why change the team at all after drawing with the league leaders, chapman was dropped and he had done nothing wrong, and i dont think coleman is that great defensivly he shudve been used left wing and pushed mctiernan back to centre mid.

CMON TOWN!!!!!! Were better than this.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:30 pm

I am putting this result down to just one of those days. This match could be argued over for days, but its important that we just forget this result, and focus on climbing the table.
    TheTown
    TheTown

Post by TheTown on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:11 pm

j2021 wrote:Very poor performance i thought a few players had a good game jameson, ollie ryan and trevor, did nothing wrong it was mainly the midfield when alfreton attacked it just seeemed to part down the middle and let them straight through, there wasnt enough tough tackles going in . I thought weaver was correct when he sed the defense was winning quitea few header but when they won them no town player was getting there body in to win the ball back.

And my other thought was why change the team at all after drawing with the league leaders, chapman was dropped and he had done nothing wrong, and i dont think coleman is that great defensivly he shudve been used left wing and pushed mctiernan back to centre mid.

CMON TOWN!!!!!! Were better than this.

Do you really have to put the same post in two different threads?

When we're down at the bottom we're looking for decent performances and since the changes were made, and especially after getting a draw with Droylsden at home maybe was a bit of a false dawn. But I am confident in the players we have bought in will slowly pull us away from relegation zone and get us to safety.

"The quality in the side when we are in possession is there for all to see at times. But, in this league it is massively about physical strength. If you can't bring that to the table, then you'll struggle at this level. You don't have to be huge in height to be able to win a header, you get a run and do something to put the guy off winning clean headers.

This however did grate a bit from Weaver. Why when u talks about physical strength and power, especially at the back, does he continue to play himself? I think he is an okay defender, but I think we really do need someone in there with bloomer is big and strong to help him, someone in the Chris Ellerker mould, I thought Sturdy could have done a better job and get Weaver more on the sidelines but I guess with budgetery requirements means he had to go out. Dont get me wrong he is very committed and puts his all into his defending but the harsh fact is he is not good enough and gives away to many free kicks. I will be a lot happier with our defence when Weaver's out of it and we have someone better beside Bloomer.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:47 pm

I think Sturdy or Scott could do a better job than Weaver, but that is just stating the obvious.

The only way it will change is hopefully, when Sturdy and Scott come back from their loan spelles at Matlock and Whitby respectively. Maybe Weaver will put himself on the sideline.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:33 pm