Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+2
TheNeil29
Big Lundy
6 posters

Investment in youth

Investment in youth Empty Investment in youth

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 pm

a lot has been made about the investment in the academy structure and everything else that goes with it. Sounds great but at what point will we witness the benefits of this? My prediction is that there will be a reluctance by Simon to put trust in local youth talent when he clearly knows that the best results are achieved by spending more money than the clubs around you on established talent and that this has been the main reason for the improvement in the team's performances.
    Big Lundy

Investment in youth Empty Re: Investment in youth

Post by Big Lundy Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:54 pm

The scouts @ our games this season haven’t been there to watch established talent!!
    Laughing

TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Well then Big L, perhaps you would like to elaborate on who has been watched?

The only one i'm aware of, and that isnt even confirmed by anyone at the club is Craig being watched by Football League and Premier League scouts.
    Grantman

Post by Grantman Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Back from another sunny day at work - bloody freezing up here!

Anyway, didn't Weaver say that Craig was being watched in that interview on the website?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:59 pm

I have listened to that interview, but probably missed that bit due to the missus having a moan like she does. I do wonder who else has been watched though. as Big Lundy suggests Craig isnt the only one being watched.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:40 pm

There's no doubt that Craig is an excellent keeper, but his success has not been a result of any youth setup we have at the club. He was simply a good signing. I suppose my point is, if the club continues to make shewed signings like that of Craig, then is there any need for an academy setup at present?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:31 pm

I don't think Craig has been brilliant since the scouts started watching...he has been a bit hesitant on crosses and coming out early for the ball...he may be with us another season I reckon.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 pm

By the end of the season more scouts will have watched our academy side than our first team!
    You get grants (£££) towards running your junior sides & you involve more people with your club!
    That’s why clubs have them.
    Everything is a numbers game in football!
    More people involved more £ coming in!
    More £ coming in more £ to spend on your facilities & squad!
    You might only bring a few players through into your 1st team squad & most of those will end up playing @ other clubs @ varying levels around the area i.e. Northern Counties East, Evo stic etc… before hand!
    But these lads that do make it are then in the “shop window” & possibly an alternative route into the full-time leagues!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Big Lundy wrote:By the end of the season more scouts will have watched our academy side than our first team!
    You get grants (£££) towards running your junior sides & you involve more people with your club!
    That’s why clubs have them.
    Everything is a numbers game in football!
    More people involved more £ coming in!
    More £ coming in more £ to spend on your facilities & squad!
    You might only bring a few players through into your 1st team squad & most of those will end up playing @ other clubs @ varying levels around the area i.e. Northern Counties East, Evo stic etc… before hand!
    But these lads that do make it are then in the “shop window” & possibly an alternative route into the full-time leagues!

Fair enough, can't argue with that.
    htown

Post by htown Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:48 pm

In all fairness Craig is Railways success and the other player who was being watched was Knowles wasn't it?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:08 am

It wouldnt surprise me if Dominic was being watched as he is an extremely good player, and in all true honesty, I would be surprised if he was still at the club next season. This move was about putting himself back in the shopping window, which he has well and truly done. I would love him to stay at Harrogate, and become a club legend, but I just dont see it happening.
    Martin L

Post by Martin L Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:22 am

fulham have been up to watch craig.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm